Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. As the title says, I just got a Conditional offer through UCAS to attend Strathclyde Uni for the Electronic and Electrical Engineering Beng (Yayy).

The only problem is, I'm 99.99% sure that this was not the course I originally applied for! I'm certain I applied for the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Beng. Has this happened to anyone before? Or have I just been a colossal idiot and not realised my mistake untill now?

I had an interview a few weeks ago and I actually spoke to the interviewer about the Mechanical content in the course...

Can anyone advise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squire1998)
    Hi guys. As the title says, I just got a Conditional offer through UCAS to attend Strathclyde Uni for the Electronic and Electrical Engineering Beng (Yayy).

The only problem is, I'm 99.99% sure that this was not the course I originally applied for! I'm certain I applied for the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Beng. Has this happened to anyone before? Or have I just been a colossal idiot and not realised my mistake untill now?

I had an interview a few weeks ago and I actually spoke to the interviewer about the Mechanical content in the course.

Can anyone advise?
    Just send the admissions team an email about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Just send the admissions team an email about it
    I will, thank you! I'm just hoping that they haven't got me mixed up with someone else, pull me off this course then leave me with nothing.

Oh University application paranoia, how I have grown accustomed to thee...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squire1998)
    I will, thank you! I'm just hoping that they haven't got me mixed up with someone else, pull me off this course then leave me with nothing.

Oh University application paranoia, how I have grown accustomed to thee...
    Don't worry they wont of got you mixed up, plus they cant withdraw you offer on that basis even if they had im pretty sure

it may even be quicker to give them a ring? you would get a instant answer then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Don't worry they wont of got you mixed up, plus they cant withdraw you offer on that basis even if they had im pretty sure

it may even be quicker to give them a ring? you would get a instant answer then
    Yeah, I actually meant to say I was going to give them a ring instead of a message. It took them ages to reply to my last email. Anyway, thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    Update: I checked the course codes UCAS sent me on the confirmation email after I finalised my application. I was right, they have given me a place in the wrong course. Hmmmm...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This might not be the case at all, but maybe they didn't think your application was suited to the course you applied for and instead allocated you a place on a similar course?

Or maybe they couldn't offer you a place for your original course choice but still wanted you and so did the same thing I said above?

I've had this happen to me before last year so this might be the case, or I could be talking utter crap. If so, just email the admissions office (if you haven't already done so) and let them explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markreed)
    This might not be the case at all, but maybe they didn't think your application was suited to the course you applied for and instead allocated you a place on a similar course?

Or maybe they couldn't offer you a place for your original course choice but still wanted you and so did the same thing I said above?

I've had this happen to me before last year so this might be the case, or I could be talking utter crap. If so, just email the admissions office (if you haven't already done so) and let them explain
    Thanks for sharing. I will do man. I'm not completely against doing the course they offered me. I'd just like some clarification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Might be worth checking if the course you applied for is still offered on their website, it sounds quite niche so they might have decided it's not worth running any more.

ReputationRep:
    It is still there as my son is in 2nd year doing mech eng at Strathclyde and wondered about switching to the combined course as he enjoys the electrical engineering and the mech engers do it in the first 2 years. It's quite a popular course. He stuck with mech eng in the end.
    Sounds like they've either made a **** up (fairly common with the huge workload of admissions departments) or have offered you that one instead. A phone call should clarify it.
    My son's loving the mech eng and all the societies and social life and if you do well in the B Eng it's easy to change to M Eng, although he's in danger of going the other way due to having too much of a good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taysidefrog)
    It is still there as my son is in 2nd year doing mech eng at Strathclyde and wondered about switching to the combined course as he enjoys the electrical engineering and the mech engers do it in the first 2 years. It's quite a popular course. He stuck with mech eng in the end.
    Sounds like they've either made a **** up (fairly common with the huge workload of admissions departments) or have offered you that one instead. A phone call should clarify it.
    My son's loving the mech eng and all the societies and social life and if you do well in the B Eng it's easy to change to M Eng, although he's in danger of going the other way due to having too much of a good time.
    Just because it's still running for later years does not mean it's not discontinued for incoming students. It would look very poor on the uni if they discontinued it for students who were already enrolled. The entry requirements for both courses are the same so it's unlikely they'd offer him EEE instead of EME for suitability reasons.

I'm not sure how easy it would be for them to mess it up, surely it's just a case of approve or disapprove with a more complex procedure for offering another course?

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 different electrical and mechanical engineering courses at Strathclyde all of which are still on their website. I see no reason why they should stop the course as they do separate electrical and mechanical engineering courses as well so running a combined course is no extra work.
    I think it's easy to click on the wrong drop down box for a course from admissions friends of mine.
    You'd think only the course they applied for would be listed but it sounds as though it's not that easy.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of questions were you asked at the Interview?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry all, I completely forgot about this thread. Here's an update; I spoke with one of the engineering admissions guys and he told me that the M&E course was full but they wanted to offer me a place on the EEE course.

I got rejected from 3 out of my 5 applications and Strathclyde were the first to accept so I'm just glad I got something.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your Strathclyde offer, are you going to accept?
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sana_Akram)
    Congrats on your Strathclyde offer, are you going to accept?
    good luck
    Thank you. Yes I've made Strathclyde my firm choice. My other acceptance was Napier but I'm based in Glasgow so Strathclyde was always going to win. Now I just need to meet my conditions .

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.