Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I wonder if anybody could help me, I am looking at studying a BA in Early Childhood on the Open University as of September 2016. I am currently working as a Teaching Assistant in a school so this degree is very relevant to the experience I have already. However, I am having doubts about following the degree with a PGCE, due to the increasingly ridiculous strain and pressure put on teachers currently. My parents are both teachers and I have seen the negative impact that this career can have on quality of life (although I fully appreciate it's value and importance). Therefore, having worked 1 to 1 with many SEN children with speech problems, I have become very interested in a career in Speech and Language Therapy. For various reasons I am unable to study this at undergraduate level, so I was wondering if I did persue a BA in Early Childhood Studies, what would then be the likelihood of getting onto a post grad course in SLT? I have a wealth of relevant experience (both from working in a school but also at a hospice and for the Stroke Assosiation), however worry that the Early Childhood degree would lack the science foundation needed for a SLT course.
    Any advice would be much appreciated! Would love to hear from past and present SLTs too!

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Postgraduate courses in SLT are extremely competitive, far more so than undergraduate courses. Some of them are happy with any degree subject but others want something directly relevant - psychology, linguistics, biomedical science. Taking a first degree and then the MSc would be an expensive option, especially as SLT won't be funded after this year, and if you know for sure you want to be a SLT then I would look at the undergraduate course instead, even if that means waiting for a while.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.