Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by asdfghjkl12)
Attached sheet
Which part(s) do you need help with?
What have you got so far?

We can't just do your work for you, but we can help you get to the right answers :fluffy:
Es0phagus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i) should be fairly straightforward

ii) D because secondary alcohols oxidise to ketone.

iii) solubility depends on the polarity of the solute and the solvent. Remember that 'like dissolves in like': polar molecules are soluble in polar solvents, and non-polar molecules are soluble in non-polar solvents. Water is polar, but hydrocarbons are non-polar, but they all have some solubility in water. This is because the shorter the chain is, i.e. the less non-polar units in the molecules, the more soluble the hydrocarbon will be. Ethanol has less carbons than the molecules in the question, so it is more soluble.

iv) D are chiral because they both have a carbon that is bonded to 4 different groups.
Saywhatyoumean
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Es0phagus)

ii) C because secondary alcohols oxidise to ketone.

iii) solubility depends on the polarity of the solute and the solvent. Remember that 'like dissolves in like': polar molecules are soluble in polar solvents, and non-polar molecules are soluble in non-polar solvents. Water is polar, but hydrocarbons are non-polar, but they all have some solubility in water. This is because the shorter the chain is, i.e. the less non-polar units in the molecules, the more soluble the hydrocarbon will be. Ethanol has less carbons than the molecules in the question, so it is more soluble.

iv) A and D are chiral because they both have a carbon that is bonded to 4 different groups.
Is the chiral carbon in A the one in the middle of the chain? I really can't see why it's chiral because I thought it was attached to two -CH3 groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Es0phagus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saywhatyoumean)
Is the chiral carbon in A the one in the middle of the chain? I really can't see why it's chiral because I thought it was attached to two -CH3 groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right. I thought it was bonded to an ethane, but it's two methanes.
Es0phagus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, ****, I meant D for question ii. C is a primary alcohol, D is secondary.
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

ii) C because secondary alcohols oxidise to ketone.

iv) A and D are chiral because they both have a carbon that is bonded to 4 different groups.
For ii it's D.

It can't be C because the alcohol will oxidise into an aldehyde first since the alcohol group is attached to the end carbon.
It would be D as the alcohol group is on the second carbon.

Edit: didn't see your response above.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Saywhatyoumean
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're right. I thought it was bonded to an ethane, but it's two methanes.
ahh okay, but then what is part IV asking for? Is it asking about enantiomers maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Es0phagus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saywhatyoumean)
ahh okay, but then what is part IV asking for? Is it asking about enantiomers maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think because D is chiral it will rotate optical light. The others 3 (A-C) won't rotate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.6%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (30)
24%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (54)
43.2%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed