Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently studying AQA A Geography, and on an examiner's report, it says that in order to achieve a level 2 or above in the data presentation section, you need to have scales on all of your maps. If there are scales on some but not all of your maps, is this a problem? Has anyone got a level 2 or above in the data presentation section WITHOUT putting scales on all of their maps?
    Thanks.

I'd say to always put a scale on your maps.

(Original post by aamirac)
    I'd say to always put a scale on your maps.
    How do you calculate it?

ReputationRep:
    last year, I got close to full marks in my coursework, and I don't exactly remember the details and all, but Im sure my teacher told us to put a scale on it, if you do not satisfy a certain level requirements, you cannot get it, but what's the issue with adding a scale anyway?

also, isn't their 3 levels ? if so, why not aim as high as possible

I am re-doing it. Absolutely flopped. Think I scraped an A, do you think they mark it harshl? I got 100UMS on the mock so im still hoping to retain my A*. You know with your maps, do you have to annotate it so like put arrows and say (This is London, the capital of England etc.)

(Original post by Science_help)
    last year, I got close to full marks in my coursework, and I don't exactly remember the details and all, but Im sure my teacher told us to put a scale on it, if you do not satisfy a certain level requirements, you cannot get it, but what's the issue with adding a scale anyway?

also, isn't their 3 levels ? if so, why not aim as high as possible
    I think I did so bad

(Original post by Oblivion99)
    How do you calculate it?
    Google maps usually has a scale.
    But our school uses software called Digimaps that sorts out all the maps stuff. It allows you to draw and put graphs, with a scale. Ask your teacher about it!

ReputationRep:
    i'm just wondering if anyone has got level 2 or above forgetting to put a scale on a map?

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about geography, I revised the night before for both exams, made up 2 out of the 3 case studies in paper 2 ( for one of the 2 I mad ei up, I made up everything , even the location and place ahah, ), and I still got 8 off full ums overall and full ums in paper 1, and close to full in paper 2 and CA.

It should be all good.

A few tips ( althouht its been over a year since I did it ), try add the 6 figure coordinates on the annotations, and also try say things like, this is "place name " , it has good links to the following ciites which are the 3rd and 4th biggest in the country, it has many tourist attractions etc, it is considered a global transpoting hub, etc , any interesting facts, that are sepcififc to the location should be very good

ReputationRep:
    and another thing, if you have enough data presentation methods, but you messed up another map (like the maps) can they deduct levels? When you get something wrong, do they just not give you credit, or can actively cause you to get a lower mark? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 456student123)
    i'm just wondering if anyone has got level 2 or above forgetting to put a scale on a map?
    if it says have a scale on all maps for level 2 , no matter how perfect your detail etc is, they will not give you a level 2 or higher.

Its like saying " I want to lose 30 pounds without losing the first 10", its practically impossible

ReputationRep:
    getting something wrong would perhaps just change their overall perception of your work , so if your maybe 1 mark of an A but accuracy isn't very well, they will not give it you, however if your accuracy is immaculate, this will phycologially make the examiner mark you more linietly

ReputationRep:
    if it says have a scale on all maps for level 2 , no matter how perfect your detail etc is, they will not give you a level 2 or higher.

Its like saying " I want to lose 30 pounds without losing the first 10", its practically impossible
    On the marking guide it just says that you need a range of data presentation techniques to get level 2, but on an examiner's report it says all maps "should" have scales. Sorry to bother you, I just want it to be cleared up! I have like 5 different complex data presentation techniques and my maps are actually in another part of my coursework (not data presentation), but I have compensated there as well by describing the location. So, as long as you fulfil what the mark scheme says, does what examiners' reports say matter? Thanks a lot for the help.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just really like to hear from someone who didn't put a scale in a map and did OK...

ReputationRep:
    If you have fulfilled the mark scheme ( or grade criteria , better put), you should be confident in gaining a good mark.
    The examiners report is a top up to that, if you are aiming for a high A* or full ums, then you should fully comply with that.
    I personally did minimal work for the coursework but followed the mark criteria to the best of my ability, which was why I got a few ums of full ums. If I followed the examiner report, which I never even read, im extremely positive that I would have got full ums.

In all honesty I think you should do your best atm if you have the time, if your short of time, I suggest just checking over everything a few time and handing it in ,but if you have even another weeks worth of time , I strongly suggest doing everything the examiner report says because at the end of the day walking into the exam knowing you ahev an A* in 25% of the gcse is such a good impact. And if you are naturally capable then revise a few days before exam should get you an A* easily, but obviously I do not recommend that.

And no problem, im alwsays happy to help
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    don't worry about geography, I revised the night before for both exams, made up 2 out of the 3 case studies in paper 2 ( for one of the 2 I mad ei up, I made up everything , even the location and place ahah, ), and I still got 8 off full ums overall and full ums in paper 1, and close to full in paper 2 and CA.

It should be all good.

A few tips ( althouht its been over a year since I did it ), try add the 6 figure coordinates on the annotations, and also try say things like, this is "place name " , it has good links to the following ciites which are the 3rd and 4th biggest in the country, it has many tourist attractions etc, it is considered a global transpoting hub, etc , any interesting facts, that are sepcififc to the location should be very good
    Really? Can i make up reasonable statistics then for case studies? because 60% of the content is case study, if i remove having to learn those then i only have 40% real facts/termonology i have to learn.

ReputationRep:
    if it says put the scales on, put them on

I finished my geography CW today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    Really? Can i make up reasonable statistics then for case studies? because 60% of the content is case study, if i remove having to learn those then i only have 40% real facts/termonology i have to learn.
    yes you can
    however saying that , you have 2 months to revise, I left it till the last day, so I would suggest you learnt he content first and if you are confident with it and still have some time try to learn a coupel of statistics per case study, I got full ums in a paper and I made up some statistics in a case study , so you will be more then fine.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.