Turn on thread page Beta

Got diagnosed with BPD today. watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here have Borderline Personality Disorder? I just got diagnosed today after having a few pretty bad (impulsive) days. A psychiatrist came out and saw me and has officially diagnosed me. I'm 18 and have had mental health problems for about 6 years, this is the first time I've been officially-written-down diagnosed.

He's suggesting talking therapies and no medication for now, I have been on anti-depressants before and they made my anxiety worse. So he thinks that talking therapies and learning coping strategies for when I am feeling impulsive etc, would help more.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:

I haven't no. Out of interest, I was reading the other day about the close links between BPD and post-traumatic stress disorder. And I think it's worth looking into. A diagnosis with PTSD can be a lot better in terms of getting treatment, and I was reading how often people misdiagnose post-traumatic stress survivors with BPD, so thought I'd let you know just in case.

ReputationRep:
    I have BPD. I was diagnosed about a year ago but I first suspected I had it about two years before that. It's been weird connecting things I did as a kid or pre-teen and going 'wait, not normal behaviour - signs of an emerging PD'. I think been diagnosed has helped because I can now understand which things I do aren't what most people do and I can explain my problems to people easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    :hugs:

I haven't no. Out of interest, I was reading the other day about the close links between BPD and post-traumatic stress disorder. And I think it's worth looking into. A diagnosis with PTSD can be a lot better in terms of getting treatment, and I was reading how often people misdiagnose post-traumatic stress survivors with BPD, so thought I'd let you know just in case.
    I have a history of "trauma" - I don't necessarily think it was a trauma since I never actually experienced anything (only heard/knew about it). But yes, I've heard the close links between BPD and PTSD and thanks for letting me know anyway.

I was a bit hesitant when he told me medication isn't the best idea since I've always believed medication to help me. It was one SSRI that made my anxiety worse, the other ones I'v been on helped my mood stay somewhat stable. Which then made me wonder whether mood stabilisers would be an option to help, but I will have to wait a few weeks before I see the psychiatrist again before I ask about them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.