Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I wanted to know if I could take 5 because I was planning to take physics, chemistry, maths, further maths and french for A-Levels. I would drop french if doing 5 meant I would have no life. Opinions appreciated
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes but no point.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you are absolutely desperate to study all five.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Yes but no point.
    Oh why? :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BhavyaB)
    Oh why? :/
    Because it doesn't put you at any advantage to others really apart from with Oxbridge and it will just stress you out more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Only if you are absolutely desperate to study all five.
    The thing is, I think I want to do engineering so will have to take the other 4 but then I'm fluent in French as well so was wondering if I should take it as well because it would be easier for me to do.

ReputationRep:
    if you are currently doing gcse, then you have no idea how much work is needed for a levels, it is soo much more.

Gcse are childs play in comparison to a levels, and doing all that extra work is not worth it, and unless your a naturally very talented person and will also work very very hard, you will crush under the pressure, trustt me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The thing is, I think I want to do engineering so will have to take the other 4 but then I'm fluent in French as well so was wondering if I should take it as well because it would be easier for me to do.
    Nope no point.

ReputationRep:
    Because it doesn't put you at any advantage to others really apart from with Oxbridge and it will just stress you out more.
    I understand that. Thankyou very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'fluent' do you mean you are a native speaker (or grew up being taught it)? If so, please do not take it at A Level.

An A Level in a language is completely useless for a person who is a native of that language, it doesn't appear impressive to universities and it is seen as just an ''easy cruise'' for a person of that language to get a qualification.

I don't normally deter people away from doing languages but I am fairly insistent that doing an A Level in a language that you know natively would not benefit you at all.

ReputationRep:
    if you're truly interested in your subjects and you think you will do well in them , then of course you can !! I did 5 and enjoyed every minute , with planning and organisation you can absolutely have time for a life .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science_help)
    if you are currently doing gcse, then you have no idea how much work is needed for a levels, it is soo much more.

Gcse are childs play in comparison to a levels, and doing all that extra work is not worth it, and unless your a naturally very talented person and will also work very very hard, you will crush under the pressure, trustt me
    Oh :/ I get that. So 4 would be a reasonable number to do?

ReputationRep:
    Nope no point.
    Oh okay, thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh okay, thanks
    French won't add anything to your application in engineering, you can just say really you are fluent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    When you say 'fluent' do you mean you are a native speaker (or grew up being taught it)? If so, please do not take it at A Level.

An A Level in a language is completely useless for a person who is a native of that language, it doesn't appear impressive to universities and it is seen as just an ''easy cruise'' for a person of that language to get a qualification.

I don't normally deter people away from doing languages but I am fairly insistent that doing an A Level in a language that you know natively would not benefit you at all.
    I'm not a native speaker, but I've now learnt it for several years and have 2 diplomas in the language rarely anyone my age has.

ReputationRep:
    from what i know, since your fluent in french, why not take a level french early? can you do that kind of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellaxoxox)
    if you're truly interested in your subjects and you think you will do well in them , then of course you can !! I did 5 and enjoyed every minute , with planning and organisation you can absolutely have time for a life .
    Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a native speaker, but I've now learnt it for several years and have 2 diplomas in the language rarely anyone my age has.
    If it's something that you've learnt via self-teaching and school and you are quite advanced it, then I would encourage you to go for the A Level (and potentially fast track it if you feel like you can). My previous post was under the entire assumption you were a native speaker, so sincere apologies!

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who is fluent in French and she took it up for A-Level along with 4 other subjects. It does not give you any real advantage since you are already fluent but there is also no disadvantage to it in my opinion. My friend only has to go to French class every so often (my school don't make her go to every class). It is really up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    French won't add anything to your application in engineering, you can just say really you are fluent.
    Alright, so if I applied to say World Bank in the future, they wouldnt look for my French school degree would they?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.