Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with French. 4 is probably fine. 5 is possible but there would be no point in doing French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nam Bui)
    from what i know, since your fluent in french, why not take a level french early? can you do that kind of thing?
    I could ask my school if I could when I get back on Monday. Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read the part where you said you are fluent in French, that changes things a bit ,because I have a friend who is fluent in Persian and I only found out a week ago he is doing it for As and a level, and hes don'e no work in it but he did a mock and got an A, so if you are totoally fluent I guess you could do it. However saying that, an a level is an a level, and it does require work. Also you have to consider the number of exams you will be sitting , like mats firther maths chem and physics that's a lot of exams , im just doing mathsl, not firther amtsh and having started revision a week ago, I am currently struggling to see how I would have coped if I took another 3 exams at the end of this year

I am in year 12 and I am taking 3 science and maths , I regret taking biology, as I want to be an engineer and it wasn't a requirement and I just increased my workload for no reason really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    If it's something that you've learnt via self-teaching and school and you are quite advanced it, then I would encourage you to go for the A Level (and potentially fast track it if you feel like you can). My previous post was under the entire assumption you were a native speaker, so sincere apologies!
    Thats alright It isnt self-teaching but I go for extra lessons and I've done past A-Level French things already in class. I could ask my school about fast-tracking it. Thankyou very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhavyaB)
    The thing is, I think I want to do engineering so will have to take the other 4 but then I'm fluent in French as well so was wondering if I should take it as well because it would be easier for me to do.
    Hmmm if you're already fluent then you might be able to might be able to manage. What you could do is take the 5 initially and then if the workload gets too much then you could maybe drop french around Christmas time?

ReputationRep:
    Can i just point out to you that there's not really a huge advantage in even doing 4 a levels, so doing 5 is literally pointless, unless like someone said above, you're naturally clever and can handle the workload, even oxbridge could still reject you with 5, all it shows is that you can cope with extra work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studyblr_mr)
    I have a friend who is fluent in French and she took it up for A-Level along with 4 other subjects. It does not give you any real advantage since you are already fluent but there is also no disadvantage to it in my opinion. My friend only has to go to French class every so often (my school don't make her go to every class). It is really up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh okay, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Because it doesn't put you at any advantage to others really apart from with Oxbridge and it will just stress you out more.
    Even with Oxbridge doesnt give you an advantage. Majority of students have 3 A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Don't bother with French. 4 is probably fine. 5 is possible but there would be no point in doing French.
    Yeah I get it. Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science_help)
    I didn't read the part where you said you are fluent in French, that changes things a bit ,because I have a friend who is fluent in Persian and I only found out a week ago he is doing it for As and a level, and hes don'e no work in it but he did a mock and got an A, so if you are totoally fluent I guess you could do it. However saying that, an a level is an a level, and it does require work. Also you have to consider the number of exams you will be sitting , like mats firther maths chem and physics that's a lot of exams , im just doing mathsl, not firther amtsh and having started revision a week ago, I am currently struggling to see how I would have coped if I took another 3 exams at the end of this year

I am in year 12 and I am taking 3 science and maths , I regret taking biology, as I want to be an engineer and it wasn't a requirement and I just increased my workload for no reason really.
    Haha yeah I would have a lot more exams if I took another A-Level.
    Btw Good luck! Also, what type of engineer are you planning to become?

ReputationRep:
    Thats alright It isnt self-teaching but I go for extra lessons and I've done past A-Level French things already in class. I could ask my school about fast-tracking it. Thankyou very much for your help
    Ah then that sounds great, I encourage you wholeheartedly to go for it if you're going to enjoy it. Good luck
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Alright, so if I applied to say World Bank in the future, they wouldnt look for my French school degree would they?
    What level education is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Hmmm if you're already fluent then you might be able to might be able to manage. What you could do is take the 5 initially and then if the workload gets too much then you could maybe drop french around Christmas time?
    Hmm yeah I probably could do that but wouldnt that show as an incomplete degree on my CV or something?

ReputationRep:
    hopefully a chemical engineer , hbu?

ReputationRep:
    Again, i am repeating myself but if you feel positive towards 5 A levels, then just do it. Most of the people do 4,then drop 1. i do not know anything about the pressure though.
    Or you can do it my way. i will be doing maths A level next year (hopefully), then another 4 in Sixth Form. That way it will be easier for you. Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    What level education is this?
    Wait what?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    tbh if i'm fluent in a language i would just mention it, you shouldnt really need a qualification to say you speak another language fluently because...you can just show them right? I really want to speak fluent french, and even if the A-level in the language is a plus for me since i'm not a native french, i would still not take it. It's like a passive skill you have which you can take out whenever you want without saying i did a-level in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science_help)
    hopefully a chemical engineer , hbu?
    I have 4 in mind- civil, mechanical, electrical or aerospace. I have a lot of time to choose
    Good luck tho
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wait what?
    Your french school degree?

ReputationRep:
    Your french school degree?
    Oh I meant the French A-Level sorry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.