Can I afford rent this expensive?

Watch
username2437471
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'll be starting uni in September and applications for accommodation at my firm choice uni open in April. I'll admit, despite being quite a mature person I'm not very adult-minded when it comes to budgeting, managing money and understanding fees/living costs/rent - like a lot of students.

I'm looking through the choices for accommodation and since I want an en-suite and to be located close to my uni building, there's really only one option that ticks all of my boxes. However, the rent is £143 a week - £6006 for a year.

I know I'll be entitled to the highest amount of maintenance loan due to my mum's income, but this doesn't cover anywhere near the cost of my rent. How will I be able to afford it?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jessielea)
Hi,

I'll be starting uni in September and applications for accommodation at my firm choice uni open in April. I'll admit, despite being quite a mature person I'm not very adult-minded when it comes to budgeting, managing money and understanding fees/living costs/rent - like a lot of students.

I'm looking through the choices for accommodation and since I want an en-suite and to be located close to my uni building, there's really only one option that ticks all of my boxes. However, the rent is £143 a week - £6006 for a year.

I know I'll be entitled to the highest amount of maintenance loan due to my mum's income, but this doesn't cover anywhere near the cost of my rent. How will I be able to afford it?
The highest maintainance loan is 8k so your rent would be covered but you d likely to be short for living costs so either you could look for a part time job or don't get an en suite. If you go for a house share second year onwards you d have to get used to sharing a bathroom there anyway.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jessielea)
Hi,

Two things to note here, assuming you are from England and studying outside London
1) The maximum loan from student finance england is actually £8,200-( I put in a household income of £20,000 to get that figure) so that would comfortably cover the rent and give you enough to live off for the year providing you don't blow £50 every night out or something
2) If it turns out you are getting a loan of less than £6000 then I suggest you either get a part time job and start saving now or be less picky with your choices.

The student finance calculator is here btw if you want to double check
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator/y
username2437471
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Oh my god, I had read the website wrong. Hahaha, disregard this!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads