Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'll be starting uni in September and applications for accommodation at my firm choice uni open in April. I'll admit, despite being quite a mature person I'm not very adult-minded when it comes to budgeting, managing money and understanding fees/living costs/rent - like a lot of students.

I'm looking through the choices for accommodation and since I want an en-suite and to be located close to my uni building, there's really only one option that ticks all of my boxes. However, the rent is £143 a week - £6006 for a year.

I know I'll be entitled to the highest amount of maintenance loan due to my mum's income, but this doesn't cover anywhere near the cost of my rent. How will I be able to afford it?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jessielea)
    Hi,

I'll be starting uni in September and applications for accommodation at my firm choice uni open in April. I'll admit, despite being quite a mature person I'm not very adult-minded when it comes to budgeting, managing money and understanding fees/living costs/rent - like a lot of students.

I'm looking through the choices for accommodation and since I want an en-suite and to be located close to my uni building, there's really only one option that ticks all of my boxes. However, the rent is £143 a week - £6006 for a year.

I know I'll be entitled to the highest amount of maintenance loan due to my mum's income, but this doesn't cover anywhere near the cost of my rent. How will I be able to afford it?
    The highest maintainance loan is 8k so your rent would be covered but you d likely to be short for living costs so either you could look for a part time job or don't get an en suite. If you go for a house share second year onwards you d have to get used to sharing a bathroom there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessielea)
    Hi,

Two things to note here, assuming you are from England and studying outside London
    1) The maximum loan from student finance england is actually £8,200-( I put in a household income of £20,000 to get that figure) so that would comfortably cover the rent and give you enough to live off for the year providing you don't blow £50 every night out or something
    2) If it turns out you are getting a loan of less than £6000 then I suggest you either get a part time job and start saving now or be less picky with your choices.

The student finance calculator is here btw if you want to double check
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator/y

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, I had read the website wrong. Hahaha, disregard this!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.