Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IDS resigns over cuts to disability benefits, as Conservatives back down Watch

ReputationRep:
    Iain Duncan Smith has dramatically resigned from the Cabinet over the Conservative government's proposed cuts to disability benefits, noting, in essence that these cuts pay for tax cuts for the well-off.

Meanwhile, after first being dead set on passing these changes, before Nicky Morgan claimed they were "only a suggestion", before Government sources said that they would definitely go through with these changes, before David Cameron said they would hold a "consultation", the Conservative government has now completely backtracked on its proposals to cut benefits for disabled people, but reserves the right to come back to them.

This is the latest in a series of u-turns from the government as a result of pressure from the opposition and the public, from tax credits to the Saudi prison contract to this latest issue.

After mounting pressure from disability charities, the Labour Party and non-psychopathic Conservative MPs, this is a huge victory for some of the most vulnerable people in society, but the way in which the government has handled this, with their contradictory messages, culminating in the resignation of Iain Duncan Smith and the sacking of Zac Goldsmith as the patron of a disability charity, has been farcical.

Who voted these idiots in, and why? I'm sure that, if Conservative supporters get the increased majority at the next election that they desire, then they'll be perfectly happy to cause disabled people to suffer further. It's interesting to note, though, that If Iain Duncan Smith has a moral problem with what this government is doing, you know you have a problem. This is a man who has almost certainly caused a significant number of people to commit suicide.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...isability-cuts

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-benefits-cuts
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd be very dubious as to whether he's genuinely concerned about the effects of the PIP cuts on disabled people given he's had no problem enacting reforms that have caused genuine grief to a number of disabled people and has previously been fine with punishing all disabled people to "help those that can work"; I'd immediately expect it to be a cynical ploy ahead of the upcoming leadership battle - distancing himself from an increasingly unpalatable establishment within the party.

ReputationRep:
    Since he resigned rather than got sacked, he'll have to wait a while before receiving benefits!

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but find this suspicious. He's had no issue dicking over the disabled before, plus he must have known before hand what the cuts were going to be, hell he must have been involved in shaping the policy to some extent as he'd have been consulted about the budget for his department. With the Tory ripping themselves apart with the referendum and camps forming this all seems a bit understated for someone whose ostensibly angry over them.

I do wish there was a more unified opposition at the moment, I like Corbyn more than any Tory but, partly his own gaffs and opinions partly the unremitting bile that is directed at him by the press, he's a very divisive leader at the moment, haven't heard a thing about the Lib Dems in months (off the top of my head I could name their new leader for instance), SNP only care about Scotland (that is atleast understandable).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    Since he resigned rather than got sacked, he'll have to wait a while before receiving benefits!
    He's only resigned from the cabinet, he's still an MP. Plus it takes a lot for an MP to be publically sacked, they're normally told to resign.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I don't believe for a moment that he's done this for any altruistic purpose given his merciless assault on the vulnerable and poor but if IDS has less power, that can only be a good thing. He is a disgraceful human being.

Some more resignations would be very welcome! Maybe Jeremy Hunt next?

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens when my party has absolute **** all as opposition...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't believe for a moment that he's done this for any altruistic purpose given his merciless assault on the vulnerable and poor but if IDS has less power, that can only be a good thing. He is a disgraceful human being.

Some more resignations would be very welcome! Maybe Jeremy Hunt next?
    An interesting topic of conversation - which is the lesser human being, IDS or Mr Jeremy ****?

They use this problem to confuse enemy computers.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    An interesting topic of conversation - which is the lesser human being, IDS or Mr Jeremy ****?

They use this problem to confuse enemy computers.
    or osbourne, lets be honest, there all evil.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.