Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BPP or University of Law watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to do an undergraduate degree in Law starting in 2017. I plan to apply to KCL, QMUL, BPP, University of Law and Bristol.

From what I can see from the BPP and University of law is that they have very strong links with a lot of major law firms; a lot more than the average uni. BPP also have a policy in which they guarantee you a training contract which is very impressive as training contracts are very hard to acquire.

Uni of Law also promise a similar thing. I really like both of the unis but I want to know which is better and why. I have tried looking into them but they both say that they are better than the other in both their teaching ways, their links with big international firms and their employability rate.

Also if these two unis are as good as they claim to be why aren't they very well renowned? Is it a better option than going to a uni such as KCL and QMUL?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You would be mad to choose BPP or Uni of Law over KCL in my opinion. I highly doubt they can offer you a guaranteed training contract.

ReputationRep:
    BPP and UoL have strong connection with firms for their LPC courses. Do NOT go there for an undergraduate degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did my undergrad degree at BPP and agree that you would be mad to go there over KCL (or even QMUL or Bristol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    BPP and UoL have strong connection with firms for their LPC courses. Do NOT go there for an undergraduate degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    I did my undergrad degree at BPP and agree that you would be mad to go there over KCL (or even QMUL or Bristol).
    Haha okay thanks. I was really sceptical but now I know not to go there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You would be mad to choose BPP or Uni of Law over KCL in my opinion. I highly doubt they can offer you a guaranteed training contract.
    farrrfarr I echo this post completely, and I can testify to it as I have friends doing the University of Law LLB. BPP and University of Law are trying to get an edge over the Russell Group/Oxbridge by supposedly offering a 'practical LLB' as opposed to a traditional academic one. However, note this; there is little demand for these courses and so the entry grades are actually much lower than what is advertised. University of Law were asking for ABB last year and that has now lowered to BBB... BPP ask for BCC. My friends at ULaw (University of Law) said that nobody had the entry grades and all had BCD and lower. They themselves didn't even have the grades bar 1 who had very high grades. At their small law fair at their centre all the firms (which were tiny regional and high street firms) looked down on them and the other LLB students. Imagine what a big city/magic circle firm would say to them, they'd be laughed out the door. This says a lot about the calibre of students these 2 institutions take on for their relatively new and untested LLBs. As previous posts have said, BPP and ULaw are good for the LPC/GDL, but bear in mind that a lot of those doing the LPC/GDL will have been wise, had good academics, and attended Oxbridge or a Russell Group uni. Therefore their chances of a TC and pupillage are much much higher. ULaw and BPP are in no university league tables, and arguably they should not even have university status, they are robbing undergrads with terrible academics who have NO chance of getting into Law.

Law firms, especially big city firms want AAB at A level and above, a few will take ABB and even fewer BBB. These filters they apply are strict. Also those who say what university you attended does not matter if you do really well in your degree are wrong. For other professions yes it can be true, but it does not apply to the legal profession. Your university does matter, and firms very often/nearly always prefer the Oxbridge and Russell Group grads who will have the grades, skills and extra curricular experience. The best you would end up at with a BPP/ULaw LLB is a high street firm/a very small regional or national firm. DO NOT GO TO EITHER FOR YOUR LLB. The other universities you have mentioned are excellent for Law, so as your fall back universities, look elsewhere other than BPP and ULaw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ORW)
    farrrfarr I echo this post completely, and I can testify to it as I have friends doing the University of Law LLB. BPP and University of Law are trying to get an edge over the Russell Group/Oxbridge by supposedly offering a 'practical LLB' as opposed to a traditional academic one. However, note this; there is little demand for these courses and so the entry grades are actually much lower than what is advertised. University of Law were asking for ABB last year and that has now lowered to BBB... BPP ask for BCC. My friends at ULaw (University of Law) said that nobody had the entry grades and all had BCD and lower. They themselves didn't even have the grades bar 1 who had very high grades. At their small law fair at their centre all the firms (which were tiny regional and high street firms) looked down on them and the other LLB students. Imagine what a big city/magic circle firm would say to them, they'd be laughed out the door. This says a lot about the calibre of students these 2 institutions take on for their relatively new and untested LLBs. As previous posts have said, BPP and ULaw are good for the LPC/GDL, but bear in mind that a lot of those doing the LPC/GDL will have been wise, had good academics, and attended Oxbridge or a Russell Group uni. Therefore their chances of a TC and pupillage are much much higher. ULaw and BPP are in no university league tables, and arguably they should not even have university status, they are robbing undergrads with terrible academics who have NO chance of getting into Law.

Law firms, especially big city firms want AAB at A level and above, a few will take ABB and even fewer BBB. These filters they apply are strict. Also those who say what university you attended does not matter if you do really well in your degree are wrong. For other professions yes it can be true, but it does not apply to the legal profession. Your university does matter, and firms very often/nearly always prefer the Oxbridge and Russell Group grads who will have the grades, skills and extra curricular experience. The best you would end up at with a BPP/ULaw LLB is a high street firm/a very small regional or national firm. DO NOT GO TO EITHER FOR YOUR LLB. The other universities you have mentioned are excellent for Law, so as your fall back universities, look elsewhere other than BPP and ULaw.
    Ahh okay thanks I'll definitely not be applying there. Thanks for your info, it really helps 😀

ReputationRep:
    While I agree that BPP and ULaw are not in the same league as RG unis, that last post is far too negative.

BPPs course is totally fine. Its graduates do not get 'laughed at' by firms or chambers. It is not true that the best you can do is a high street or other very small firm. I know BPP grads at A&O and HSF, for instance. So far as I know I am the only BPP grad with pupillage, but perhaps there are others...

ReputationRep:
    From what I know, BPP and UoL are great for your LPC, but I don't hear much about people actually doing their law degrees there. I'd be careful about the claim that they can guarantee you a TC - as you mentioned, they are hard to obtain so simply the fact that you have a qualification from a certain place isn't nearly enough to secure you one. BPP and UoL do have good links with firms, but for most is a training link, not a recruiting link. Although some firms like Slater and Gordon offer work experience to students from BPP and a handful of other unis, it's not a TC and the links are mainly if you get a TC at a firm that will pay GDL and LPC fees, they have links with these unis to provide a certain course and request that you undertake that qualification with the linked institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's wrong with doing an undergrad there?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.