Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 12, studying Maths with Mechanics, Chemistry and Physics. Due to some complications, I wasn't able to take Further Maths at college. I want to read Engineering at university, and I heard Further Maths helps with the first year and makes you more competitive when applying to universities, plus I really do enjoy maths. I plan on asking my maths teacher for some help and advice but I was wondering if you could give me any tips on self-teaching, at least to AS Further Maths, and what I have to cover.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Zacken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_98)
    I am currently in Year 12, studying Maths with Mechanics, Chemistry and Physics. Due to some complications, I wasn't able to take Further Maths at college. I want to read Engineering at university, and I heard Further Maths helps with the first year and makes you more competitive when applying to universities, plus I really do enjoy maths. I plan on asking my maths teacher for some help and advice but I was wondering if you could give me any tips on self-teaching, at least to AS Further Maths, and what I have to cover.

Thank you!
    Okay, so what you need is a list of the modules that you want to do, I'd advise FP1 and two applied modules. Preferrably both the applied modules \leq 2. I'm not sure if you can take FP2 at AS, but if so - then that would be lovely if it suits your interests. But perhaps given that you want to do engineering you might want to do M1-3. You'll need to read the specificaiton and ask your maths teacher who knows your ability better than I do for some help with module choice.

Then you need to buy the textbooks for each of those modules and really get cracking with them. Use examsolutions.net to supplement your teacher as well, make sure you understand everything you're doing and why you're doing it, as soon as there's something you don't understand pop over to the maths forum on TSR to ask for help or ask your maths teachers or check examsolutions or ask a friend but make sure you understand it.

Other than that, some strong work ethic and determination is all you need! I wish you the best of luck. :-)

(Original post by zetamcfc)
    Zacken
    Thanks for the tag!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Thank you!
    It's a shame that you want to study Engineering I think stats/decision modules are much easier than mechanics modules. What applied modules are you studying for AS/A2 Maths?

If you're just doing AS Further Maths, aim to finish 1 and a half modules (or all 3 if you really want) by the end of the calender year (so September to December) and then finish whatever you have left and do loads of past papers.

If you have the choice, choose Edexcel for it as well. The books are all you need, but there are loads of resources online for it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    It's a shame that you want to study Engineering I think stats/decision modules are much easier than mechanics modules. What applied modules are you studying for AS/A2 Maths?

If you're just doing AS Further Maths, aim to finish 1 and a half modules (or all 3 if you really want) by the end of the calender year (so September to December) and then finish whatever you have left and do loads of past papers.

If you have the choice, choose Edexcel for it as well. The books are all you need, but there are loads of resources online for it as well.
    Thank you for replying! I am doing M1 at the moment, and I think D1 next year (Just need to double check). How would I get examined? Would I have to arranged it to be done at a centre or can I do it at College? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Okay, so what you need is a list of the modules that you want to do, I'd advise FP1 and two applied modules. Preferrably both the applied modules \leq 2. I'm not sure if you can take FP2 at AS, but if so - then that would be lovely if it suits your interests. But perhaps given that you want to do engineering you might want to do M1-3. You'll need to read the specificaiton and ask your maths teacher who knows your ability better than I do for some help with module choice.

Then you need to buy the textbooks for each of those modules and really get cracking with them. Use examsolutions.net to supplement your teacher as well, make sure you understand everything you're doing and why you're doing it, as soon as there's something you don't understand pop over to the maths forum on TSR to ask for help or ask your maths teachers or check examsolutions or ask a friend but make sure you understand it.

Other than that, some strong work ethic and determination is all you need! I wish you the best of luck. :-)

Thanks for the tag!
    Thank you for the reply and thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply and thank you for your help!
    :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying! I am doing M1 at the moment, and I think D1 next year (Just need to double check). How would I get examined? Would I have to arranged it to be done at a centre or can I do it at College? :P
    If you are doing M1 and D1 for Maths then you should do FP1, M2 and M3 for Further Maths. Buy the textbooks, follow it, do many many many practice questions then, once you have mastered all the types of question in all the different topics try the past papers, starting with the oldest ones and working towards the more recent ones closer to the exams.

You should be able to sit it at your College as an external student - speak to someone in the Exams department. You might need to pay to sit the exams though!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It'd be best to ask your college to enter you for the exams.

Are you hoping to do Civil or Mechanical Engineering? I'm not sure whether doing more Ms would make your application better (depending on which branch you choose), the easiest option would be studying FP1, S1 and S2 in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    It'd be best to ask your college to enter you for the exams.

Are you hoping to do Civil or Mechanical Engineering? I'm not sure whether doing more Ms would make your application better (depending on which branch you choose), the easiest option would be studying FP1, S1 and S2 in my opinion.
    I'm hoping to do Aerospace Engineering, which is similar to Mechanical Engineering, so I assume I would have to do more Mechanics, but I'll talk to my maths teacher and see what he recommends. Thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Just to add on to this - unis don't look at your application to such a detail that they look at which modules you've done, the only benefit you get from doing more M's is that you're better prepared when you start uni, i.e: it's a benefit but not one that garners favours with the admissions team. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsmusicfrench)
    If you are doing M1 and D1 for Maths then you should do FP1, M2 and M3 for Further Maths. Buy the textbooks, follow it, do many many many practice questions then, once you have mastered all the types of question in all the different topics try the past papers, starting with the oldest ones and working towards the more recent ones closer to the exams.

You should be able to sit it at your College as an external student - speak to someone in the Exams department. You might need to pay to sit the exams though!
    Thank you for replying. It seems like I just need to persevere and understand the topics. Do you know which topics could a bit difficult to do?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying. It seems like I just need to persevere and understand the topics. Do you know which topics could a bit difficult to do?
    I'm afraid my A2 Maths was 5 years ago now and I never did Further Maths so I am probably no your man for that question. Perseverance and understanding the topics is exactly right though. From what I remember FP1 build son C1 and C2 and M2 and M3 build on M1 (naturally).

The great thing about Maths is that is can be broken down into different topics, and within each topic there are sub topics and within in sub topic there are only a handful of different types of questions. All you need to be able to do identify which question you are being asked, and apply the pre-learnt method for solving that type of question - you just have to learn all the methods between now and the exam, and learn to recognise the types of question. (It is only very rarely that questions come up with require original thought to solve - e.g. the Maths challenge type questions.)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.