Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently taking 3 As level and I'd like to apply for Biomedical sciences next year, i would like to know if it is possible for me to transfer to postgraduate medicine after completing my Biomedical science degree.

ReputationRep:
    With hard work and luck, it's very possible good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YesterdaysDreams)
    I'm currently taking 3 As level and I'd like to apply for Biomedical sciences next year, i would like to know if it is possible for me to transfer to postgraduate medicine after completing my Biomedical science degree.
    It's not a transfer - you would need to apply via UCAS in the normal way, do the UKCAT/GAMSAT, interviews etc.

It's also graduate entry, not a postgraduate degree:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    It's not a transfer - you would need to apply via UCAS in the normal way, do the UKCAT/GAMSAT, interviews etc.

It's also graduate entry, not a postgraduate degree:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide
    so when I complete my graduate degree is a postgraduates degree after it?

ReputationRep:
    so when I complete my graduate degree is a postgraduates degree after it?
    It is called Graduate Entry Medicine as it requires a degree (BSc, BA, etc) to meet admissions criteria but it is still an undergraduate level of education (MBBS or MBChB). Some biomed degrees have a scheme for the top couple of students to transfer into medicine.

Postgrad degrees are things like MA, MSc, MD, PhD etc.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there,

It's really great that you'd like to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM). If you're going to start studying Biomedical Sciences as your first undergraduate degree but you already know you'd like to study Medicine afterwards, you need to make sure you have a plan in place to ensure you have a strong application in three or four years time.

Applying for GEM tends to be much more competitive than applying for the straight A100 Medicine course. This is partly because there are fewer GEM places, and fewer universities that offer the course.

As you know that you'd like to apply to GEM, you can start planning your application. Try to secure plenty of work experience, shadowing placements, and talk to as many doctors and medical students as possible during your vacations. This is to make sure that you have a top-notch application that stands out.

We've got plenty of free information about GEM on our website.

Lastly, if you think you'd like to study Medicine, how come you don't want to apply to it straight out of school? Many think it's less competitive, and it means you could be in slightly less student debt.

We hope the above information helps!

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hi there,

It's really great that you'd like to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM). If you're going to start studying Biomedical Sciences as your first undergraduate degree but you already know you'd like to study Medicine afterwards, you need to make sure you have a plan in place to ensure you have a strong application in three or four years time.

Applying for GEM tends to be much more competitive than applying for the straight A100 Medicine course. This is partly because there are fewer GEM places, and fewer universities that offer the course.

As you know that you'd like to apply to GEM, you can start planning your application. Try to secure plenty of work experience, shadowing placements, and talk to as many doctors and medical students as possible during your vacations. This is to make sure that you have a top-notch application that stands out.

We've got plenty of free information about GEM on our website.

Lastly, if you think you'd like to study Medicine, how come you don't want to apply to it straight out of school? Many think it's less competitive, and it means you could be in slightly less student debt.

We hope the above information helps!

The Medic Portal
    I'm thinking of applying to both courses, is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    Why not apply straight for medicine??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Why not apply straight for medicine??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    most uni need fourth as subject which I don't have
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I'm thinking of applying to both courses, is that possible?
    Hello again,

Do you mean that you will apply to four universities to study Medicine, and use your fifth UCAS choice to apply for a back-up Biomed course?

If so, then yes! It is possible, and it is the normal route that most medical school applicants take

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    most uni need fourth as subject which I don't have
    I don't think so
    Because of the new a level system, you're fine with three a levels and so you can still apply although double check this.
    Or why not take a fourth AS in your second year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    I don't think so
    Because of the new a level system, you're fine with three a levels and so you can still apply although double check this.
    Or why not take a fourth AS in your second year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I might take a fourth not sure though, would that a level system apply to me as I'm doing International A level ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.