Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Although it is my second language (surrounded by family speaking french most of the time), I did have to teach myself the grammar and spelling as I have never learnt how to write in french and I use to speak like a caveman before, my grammar in french in terms of speaking was bad back in the day. I do have to be honest GCSE french was easy whilst AS was moderate, and now I'm doing A2 which is okay I guess, although I still have to put it more effort as I averaged out as a B last year (got a C in my main paper cos writing let me down). Through those years my french has improved significantly grammar wise and I have learnt a few more words which is great.

So would I still be looked down because of my a level? Would unis and employers just assume its easy because I know the language? Am I just doing an A level for nothing? Considering it's an A level its not as easy, especially how the french grammar is quite iffy sometimes.
    :/

I thought for jobs etc and unis it would show a good impression as I decided to take time out to study for this A level?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to say that however employers/universities look at it does not define whether or not it is useless.

Do you realise what you have done? You are now FLUENT and grammatically accurate in a language! That speaks for itself - it is most definitely not useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I would just like to say that however employers/universities look at it does not define whether or not it is useless.

Do you realise what you have done? You are now FLUENT and grammatically accurate in a language! That speaks for itself - it is most definitely not useless.
    Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Although it is my second language (surrounded by family speaking french most of the time), I did have to teach myself the grammar and spelling as I have never learnt how to write in french and I use to speak like a caveman before, my grammar in french in terms of speaking was bad back in the day. I do have to be honest GCSE french was easy whilst AS was moderate, and now I'm doing A2 which is okay I guess, although I still have to put it more effort as I averaged out as a B last year (got a C in my main paper cos writing let me down). Through those years my french has improved significantly grammar wise and I have learnt a few more words which is great.

So would I still be looked down because of my a level? Would unis and employers just assume its easy because I know the language? Am I just doing an A level for nothing? Considering it's an A level its not as easy, especially how the french grammar is quite iffy sometimes.
    :/

I thought for jobs etc and unis it would show a good impression as I decided to take time out to study for this A level?
    No, it's not useless. I mean first of all, how are universities and employers going to know you had a head start? Most universities don't accept language A Levels in your first language but it's not your first language. And as Student403 says, knowing another language is always a very useful thing anyway, regardless of whether somebody accepts a piece of paper or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    No, it's not useless. I mean first of all, how are universities and employers going to know you had a head start? Most universities don't accept language A Levels in your first language but it's not your first language. And as Student403 says, knowing another language is always a very useful thing anyway, regardless of whether somebody accepts a piece of paper or not.
    Oh riight okay. Just out of curiousity, I read on a uni website that they wouldn't be surprised if you had A* in a community language gcse, does french count as a community language? I heard it's languages like arabic, turkish and bengali?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Oh riight okay. Just out of curiousity, I read on a uni website that they wouldn't be surprised if you had A* in a community language gcse, does french count as a community language? I heard it's languages like arabic, turkish and bengali?
    From what I can tell, no it doesn't count as a community language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    From what I can tell, no it doesn't count as a community language.
    Right okay thanks

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.