Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Although it is my second language (surrounded by family speaking french most of the time), I did have to teach myself the grammar and spelling as I have never learnt how to write in french and I use to speak like a caveman before, my grammar in french in terms of speaking was bad back in the day. I do have to be honest GCSE french was easy whilst AS was moderate, and now I'm doing A2 which is okay I guess, although I still have to put it more effort as I averaged out as a B last year (got a C in my main paper cos writing let me down). Through those years my french has improved significantly grammar wise and I have learnt a few more words which is great.

So would I still be looked down because of my a level? Would unis and employers just assume its easy because I know the language? Am I just doing an A level for nothing? Considering it's an A level its not as easy, especially how the french grammar is quite iffy sometimes.
    :/

I thought for jobs etc and unis it would show a good impression as I decided to take time out to study for this A level?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to say that however employers/universities look at it does not define whether or not it is useless.

Do you realise what you have done? You are now FLUENT and grammatically accurate in a language! That speaks for itself - it is most definitely not useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I would just like to say that however employers/universities look at it does not define whether or not it is useless.

Do you realise what you have done? You are now FLUENT and grammatically accurate in a language! That speaks for itself - it is most definitely not useless.
    Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Although it is my second language (surrounded by family speaking french most of the time), I did have to teach myself the grammar and spelling as I have never learnt how to write in french and I use to speak like a caveman before, my grammar in french in terms of speaking was bad back in the day. I do have to be honest GCSE french was easy whilst AS was moderate, and now I'm doing A2 which is okay I guess, although I still have to put it more effort as I averaged out as a B last year (got a C in my main paper cos writing let me down). Through those years my french has improved significantly grammar wise and I have learnt a few more words which is great.

So would I still be looked down because of my a level? Would unis and employers just assume its easy because I know the language? Am I just doing an A level for nothing? Considering it's an A level its not as easy, especially how the french grammar is quite iffy sometimes.
    :/

I thought for jobs etc and unis it would show a good impression as I decided to take time out to study for this A level?
    No, it's not useless. I mean first of all, how are universities and employers going to know you had a head start? Most universities don't accept language A Levels in your first language but it's not your first language. And as Student403 says, knowing another language is always a very useful thing anyway, regardless of whether somebody accepts a piece of paper or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    No, it's not useless. I mean first of all, how are universities and employers going to know you had a head start? Most universities don't accept language A Levels in your first language but it's not your first language. And as Student403 says, knowing another language is always a very useful thing anyway, regardless of whether somebody accepts a piece of paper or not.
    Oh riight okay. Just out of curiousity, I read on a uni website that they wouldn't be surprised if you had A* in a community language gcse, does french count as a community language? I heard it's languages like arabic, turkish and bengali?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Oh riight okay. Just out of curiousity, I read on a uni website that they wouldn't be surprised if you had A* in a community language gcse, does french count as a community language? I heard it's languages like arabic, turkish and bengali?
    From what I can tell, no it doesn't count as a community language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    From what I can tell, no it doesn't count as a community language.
    Right okay thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.