Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

22y/o 1st year, not sure whether to live in student halls or find private accomm Watch

ReputationRep:
    so i will be 22 when i start at MMU in september, and i'm still trying to decide whether i should apply for student accommodation + live with a group of 18/19 year olds or to find private accommodation close to the university.

the major thing swaying me towards halls is the fact i'll be able to have a parking space! i don't want to cut myself of from the social side of being a first year, but also don't want to obviously be four years older than everyone else!

ReputationRep:
    As a 22 year old, I think you'd probably find living with 18 year old freshers in halls mildly irritating to say the least. I'd highly recommend private accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Try and find out from the uni if they group mature students together in the accommodation or if they recommend specific halls for mature students to apply for.

I'm going in halls at 27 later this year, although I have a bit of a baby face and can pass for early 20's so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm applying for the accommodation that has a mix of undergrads, postgrads and internationals rather than the student village that's only for first years so it should be OK(I hope).

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I'm in first year at the moment and have just turned 23 living in halls, and its not so bad. I'm at UEA and live with two 22yr olds, one guy who's 21 and a bunch of 18/19/20year olds as I think they try and group more mature students together. I'm the oldest in the flat of 11 but we all get on quite well, and i'm living with three of them next year. Its a great way to make friends, and I have coursemates who are 24 and 25 who live in other halls on campus and love it too.
    It does have its downsides as some of them can be a little immature at times (and the same age as my younger sister!) but on the whole we have a laugh, just make sure you get involved and don't exclude yourself.
    Hope that helps

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.