The Student Room Group

22y/o 1st year, not sure whether to live in student halls or find private accomm

so i will be 22 when i start at MMU in september, and i'm still trying to decide whether i should apply for student accommodation + live with a group of 18/19 year olds or to find private accommodation close to the university.

the major thing swaying me towards halls is the fact i'll be able to have a parking space! i don't want to cut myself of from the social side of being a first year, but also don't want to obviously be four years older than everyone else!
As a 22 year old, I think you'd probably find living with 18 year old freshers in halls mildly irritating to say the least. I'd highly recommend private accommodation.
Try and find out from the uni if they group mature students together in the accommodation or if they recommend specific halls for mature students to apply for.

I'm going in halls at 27 later this year, although I have a bit of a baby face and can pass for early 20's so it shouldn't be too bad. :smile: I'm applying for the accommodation that has a mix of undergrads, postgrads and internationals rather than the student village that's only for first years so it should be OK(I hope).
(edited 8 years ago)
Heya, I'm in first year at the moment and have just turned 23 living in halls, and its not so bad. I'm at UEA and live with two 22yr olds, one guy who's 21 and a bunch of 18/19/20year olds as I think they try and group more mature students together. I'm the oldest in the flat of 11 but we all get on quite well, and i'm living with three of them next year. Its a great way to make friends, and I have coursemates who are 24 and 25 who live in other halls on campus and love it too.
It does have its downsides as some of them can be a little immature at times (and the same age as my younger sister!) but on the whole we have a laugh, just make sure you get involved and don't exclude yourself.
Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending