Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm interested in doing the foundation with the aim of progressing to Civil Engineering MEng.
    Anyone have any experience of doing it? How was the work load and content of the course?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing this exact course at Nottingham.
    It's a good course and will make your transition into the degree much easier and you will get a better degree overall (according to statistics)

About work load
    if you've done A-levels in Maths and Physics (or equivalent high level IB) it'll mostly be a walk in the park.

If not well it'll be hard, as I've observed people from GCSE Maths background tend to struggle.

On average about 80% people pass and progress to degree. (About 110 intakes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommoalex)
    Hi guys, I'm interested in doing the foundation with the aim of progressing to Civil Engineering MEng.
    Anyone have any experience of doing it? How was the work load and content of the course?
    I did the Foundation Year from an A-Level background but not Maths/Physics or Sciences, so I'd done no maths since GCSE. I would definitely say that the hardest thing for me was the pace of the material being taught to us - it wasn't necessarily that the level of the work was difficult (although integration was the bane of my life for a good few months!), but that you just have so much information to process and retain over the year.

The foundation year team are fantastic though and really supportive, so if you're struggling with something they'll always do what they can to help you.

You'll also do modules in Mechanics (2), Electrical Circuits (2), Computer Methods (using a program called MATLAB), Vibration & Waves and Properties of Matter. Plus Study Skills.

Are you studying A-Levels at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShoshannaBunt)
    I did the Foundation Year from an A-Level background but not Maths/Physics or Sciences, so I'd done no maths since GCSE. I would definitely say that the hardest thing for me was the pace of the material being taught to us - it wasn't necessarily that the level of the work was difficult (although integration was the bane of my life for a good few months!), but that you just have so much information to process and retain over the year.

The foundation year team are fantastic though and really supportive, so if you're struggling with something they'll always do what they can to help you.

You'll also do modules in Mechanics (2), Electrical Circuits (2), Computer Methods (using a program called MATLAB), Vibration & Waves and Properties of Matter. Plus Study Skills.

Yeah im currently sitting A levels and am predicted A*AA, however no maths or physics. I did do well at GCSE in those(A*/A), but obviously that was a very basic level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommoalex)
    I've firmed this exact course, hoping to continue to Chemical Eng. I hope to see you there!

(Original post by QueNNch)
    I'm currently doing this exact course at Nottingham.
    It's a good course and will make your transition into the degree much easier and you will get a better degree overall (according to statistics)

About work load
    if you've done A-levels in Maths and Physics (or equivalent high level IB) it'll mostly be a walk in the park.

If not well it'll be hard, as I've observed people from GCSE Maths background tend to struggle.

On average about 80% people pass and progress to degree. (About 110 intakes)
    Oh so is it mostly A2 maths and Physics? Would I still need to do modules like electrical circuits if I don't want to go on to do Elec Eng?

ReputationRep:
    First semester Maths and Phys modules are like A levels. Second semester focuses on a more advanced level to help you with engineering degree the next year.

Yes, you take all the same modules as other engineering students, exceptions are made for people going to computer/physics/maths degrees who are given slightly different modules.

Modules taught are all relevant to your degree so you don't need to worry about doing something you won't need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShoshannaBunt)

Hey, do you mind me asking what you got in your A-levels? I've applied for the course with non physics/maths background too but worried I wont get the grades to get in.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    what specific topics did you learn in the foundation year for maths, i'd like to do some practice this summer so i can more easily grasp the content.
    (Original post by QueNNch)
    First semester Maths and Phys modules are like A levels. Second semester focuses on a more advanced level to help you with engineering degree the next year.

Yes, you take all the same modules as other engineering students, exceptions are made for people going to computer/physics/maths degrees who are given slightly different modules.

Modules taught are all relevant to your degree so you don't need to worry about doing something you won't need.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.