ReputationRep:
    1) Get A*s at A level while getting stronger at the gym
    2) Go to a top university, play in one of the sports teams
    3) Get a high paid job
    4) Get married
    5) Have children
    6) Buy a big house
    7) Get promoted a lot and earn more money,
    8) Buy a house for my parents (we could never afford to buy our own) and buy my dad his dream car.
    9) Keep in touch with my friends
    10) Make sure that my children get a good education and become successful

Most of all, I want my faith in Jesus Christ to flourish and grow stronger so that I can have eternal life in Heaven.

(I did these in chronological order, not in order of importance.)

ReputationRep:
    1) Enjoy university and graduate with a 2:1
    2) Receive an offer for my desired career (Investment banking)
    3) Buy my mother a house and car
    4) Buy myself a luxury apartment in London and car (Tesla or Mercedes C class Coupe)
    5) Visit New York (possibly move there for work if I can - shout out to my boys on wall street)
    6) Be earning £500k+ annually at age 30 - after tax that should be enough for me to live comfortably whilst also having enough to pay for my family to go on holidays
    7) Meet some of my favourite actors
    8) Get a cat, maybe two?
    9) Make it to a senior level within my career
    10) Create a friend group like friends

ReputationRep:
    1 - millionaire before 30

2 - first in law at oxford, lse or icl

3 - amazing body

4 - be able to take care of parents

5 - contributor inc, entrepreneur, business insider, huffington post

6 - build village in Sudan

7 - NYT bestseller book

8 - get the girl i have loved for like 3 and a half years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    1) Enjoy university and graduate with a 2:1
    2) Receive an offer for my desired career (Investment banking)
    3) Buy my mother a house and car
    4) Buy myself a luxury apartment in London and car (Tesla or Mercedes C class Coupe)
    5) Visit New York (possibly move there for work if I can - shout out to my boys on wall street)
    6) Be earning £500k+ annually at age 30 - after tax that should be enough for me to live comfortably whilst also having enough to pay for my family to go on holidays
    7) Meet some of my favourite actors
    8) Get a cat, maybe two?
    9) Make it to a senior level within my career
    10) Create a friend group like friends
    so you idolise immoral bankers haha good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahgh233432)
    Bankers are actually some of the kindest and friendliest people - the way the media portrays them is completely inaccurate. You obviously will have the immoral gordon gecko stereo types in the industry however that's rare tbh and you get stereo types in all industries.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How are investment bankers (you know the ones that raise capital for companies to grow, advise companies on M&A and providing risk management solutions) immoral? Please, do expand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bankers are actually some of the kindest and friendliest people - the way the media portrays them is completely inaccurate. You obviously will have the immoral gordon gecko stereo types in the industry however that's rare tbh and you get stereo types in all industries.
    'shout out my boys on wall street'

they don't know you exist and if they do they don't mind ensuring that your parents are ****ed by the rigged financial system and bought politicians

which bankers are kind and friendly? no, i mean which ones don't give money to charities as a means of embezzling money and avoiding tax?

as for gordon gecko why do you call wall street bankers 'your boys' if they are ordinary workers - sounds a bit juvenile and bratty

as for 500k a year in investment banking by the age of 30 - you are more likely even with Goldman to be making about 130-150 best case scenario in IB even in the front
    that is laughable
    if you want to make real money down that route you will need to go into private equity and hedge funds and with a 2:1 in idolising scum you don't sound like you will make the cut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Graduate with a first
    Get onto a PhD programme
    Be a research scientist
    Get married
    Have children
    Visit some beautiful countries
    Have a huge garden so I can have lots of animals

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :zomg: I have the exact same goals as you :jumphug:

I'd ideally want to graduate with a 1:1, however if life comes in the way Idm as long as I graduate with a 2:1 and still manage to get onto a funded PHD programme. What research field do you want to go into? I've still yet to decide what field I'd like to go into but something that I can develop further from my degree. (Theoretical Physics)

Where do you want to go travelling? I've got a whole bucket list:
    1) Monaco/Paris/Marseilles, France. 2) Denver, Colorado (USA) 3) Rome, Italy.
    4) Barcelona, Spain. 5) Venice, California (USA). 6) New York. (USA)
    7) Hong Kong, China. 8) Tokyo, Japan. 9) Abu Dubai, UAE,
    10) Melbourne, Australia. 11) Switzerland. 12) Iceland ---> Northern lights :heart:

Are you a cat/dog person? What pet breed would you get?
    I'm a cat type of person though I :heart: Husky dogs = Life complete.
    I can't stand small dogs, they would just annoy tf out of me.

ReputationRep:
    Owning a chocolate factory so I can eat an unlimited amount of chocolate
    Living in a cave for a while
    Staying somewhere with no humans. Out in the wild.
    Climb Mt Everest

Oh and getting a job and those other boring things

ReputationRep:
    1 - millionaire before 30

2 - first in law at oxford, lse or icl

3 - amazing body

4 - be able to take care of parents

5 - contributor inc, entrepreneur, business insider, huffington post

6 - build village in Sudan

7 - NYT bestseller book

8 - get the girl i have loved for like 3 and a half years
    Sad times man. Good luck
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

they don't know you exist and if they do they don't mind ensuring that your parents are ****ed by the rigged financial system and bought politicians
    Bankers didn't do this, some mortgage backed securities traders played a part

which bankers are kind and friendly? no, i mean which ones don't give money to charities as a means of embezzling money and avoiding tax?
    Most of the ones that I personally know and speak to. They're just normal human beings like anyone else. No one's embezzling tax by donating to a cause they care about.

as for gordon gecko why do you call wall street bankers 'your boys' if they are ordinary workers - sounds a bit juvenile and bratty
    Because finance is a tight-knit community and that comment was tongue-in-cheek

as for 500k a year in investment banking by the age of 30 - you are more likely even with Goldman to be making about 130-150 best case scenario in IB even in the front
    that is laughable
    if you want to make real money down that route you will need to go into private equity and hedge funds and with a 2:1 in idolising scum you don't sound like you will make the cut
    This is false.

By 30, you'll be around VP level and all-in comp is closer to £300-350k for IBD at that stage. Also, PE is an exit opportunity taken after a few years within IBD.

It'd be nice if you stopped being so aggressive for no reason. How in the world are you going to be a millionaire? Do expand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    How are investment bankers (you know the ones that raise capital for companies to grow, advise companies on M&A and providing risk management solutions) immoral? Please, do expand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

because they in an unequal society make the rich richer and the poor poorer whilst themselves becoming moderately, moderately, moderately wealthy

not sure you quite understand IB if you think an analyst or associate is going to be raising capital for companies to 'grow'

these are people with much to gain from dropping deformed CDO's on the heads of minority single parents and asset stripping family businesses and little to gain from helping anyone in any way - that sounds immoral to me

it will feel nice for you to put this to the back of your head and obsess over your 2k 3k watch but when you drop at 43 due to heart attack induced by stress over a lack of job security, or realise at 50 you just spent 30 years of your life ruining the opportunities of immigrant children by crippling public services through fraudulent bailouts, you probably will wish you went into consulting or started a business that didn't facilitate an MIC which kills babies in countries 3,000 miles away
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    because they in an unequal society make the rich richer and the poor poorer whilst themselves becoming moderately, moderately, moderately wealthy

not sure you quite understand IB if you think an analyst or associate is going to be raising capital for companies to 'grow'

these are people with much to gain from dropping deformed CDO's on the heads of minority single parents and asset stripping family businesses and little to gain from helping anyone in any way - that sounds immoral to me

it will feel nice for you to put this to the back of your head and obsess over your 2k 3k watch but when you drop at 43 due to heart attack induced by stress over a lack of job security, or realise at 50 you just spent 30 years of your life ruining the opportunities of immigrant children by crippling public services through fraudulent bailouts, you probably will wish you went into consulting or started a business that didn't facilitate an MIC which kills babies in countries 3,000 miles away
    You don't know what investment bankers do at all, by the sounds of this.. I'm guessing you watched the Big Short and now you're an expert?

Please, explain how investment bankers have anything to do with 'dropping CDOs on the heads of minority single parents'. I'm intrigued as to how in any way that connects to the role of someone working in the Investment Banking Division.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

that is laughable
    not even gonna respond to your first comment as not being able to tell it was a joke means there is no hope

Anyways, what do you mean 'even with goldman', what is it/how can I get it? also what is private equity? I've heard of hedge funds that's where they hedge money right?

Yeah you're probably right I don't have the cut just i want to be a banker, any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Bankers didn't do this, some mortgage backed securities traders played a part

Most of the ones that I personally know and speak to. They're just normal human beings like anyone else. No one's embezzling tax by donating to a cause they care about.

Because finance is a tight-knit community and that comment was tongue-in-cheek

This is false

By 30, you'll be around VP level and all-in comp is closer to £300-350k for IBD at that stage. Also, PE is an exit opportunity taken after a few years within IBD.

It'd be nice if you stopped being so aggressive for no reason. How in the world are you going to be a millionaire? Do expand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    'some' just a few then. What does give these select few people to play God and mess with the lives of working people in the world who don't take more than their fair share?

haha a tight knit community I'm sure he has Lloyd Blankfein on WhatsApp swell

Hate to tell but banks have literally hundreds of VP's so i don't think you will be having meals with Dimon just yet - as for 300k that is best case scenario with woe
    ful job security and 11 days holiday a year to flex the money attained ruining lives

It would be nice if you weren't a usury apologist who didn't say 'do expand' at the end of each comment they type out like the smarmy private school creature they are

ReputationRep:
    You don't know what investment bankers do at all, by the sounds of this.. I'm guessing you watched the Big Short and now you're an expert?

Please, explain how investment bankers have anything to do with 'dropping CDOs on the heads of minority single parents'. I'm intrigued as to how in any way that connects to the role of someone working in the Investment Banking Division.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nah i haven't seen it yet

I was referring to our elitist friends 'shoutout' to wall street 'boys' should have made that clear

ReputationRep:
    not even gonna respond to your first comment as not being able to tell it was a joke means there is no hope

Anyways, what do you mean 'even with goldman', what is it/how can I get it? also what is private equity? I've heard of hedge funds that's where they hedge money right?

Yeah you're probably right I don't have the cut just i want to be a banker, any advice?
    you want to be an investment banker and you don't know about goldman or private equity... good luck

sounds to me like you pirated WOWS and now think you are about to make a couple hundred million dollars over the phone, will be reality check for sure
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    'some' just a few then. What does give these select few people to play God and mess with the lives of working people in the world who don't take more than their fair share?
    Still doesn't connect to what an investment banker does... And, if I'm really going to touch on this subject, you'll know that the meltdown was caused by several parties: overzealous home owners with no income to support their purchases, mortgage lenders, ratings agencies, MBS traders, pension funds and hedge funds. It doesn't take one measly blow from a couple traders to bring down an economy dude.

haha a tight knit community I'm sure he has Lloyd Blankfein on WhatsApp swell
    Yes, because the people who aspire to be bankers are generally very well networked with current bankers. Lloyd Blankfein has nothing to do with this..

Hate to tell but banks have literally hundreds of VP's so i don't think you will be having meals with Dimon just yet - as for 300k that is best case scenario with woe
    ful job security and 11 days holiday a year to flex the money attained ruining lives
    IBD VP 3s make £300-350k on average, high flyers are above the £500k mark. Again, Dimon has nothing to do with this. If you knew anyone in the industry, you'd know what level the pay comes in at.

It's illegal to offer less than 20 days a year of holiday in the UK. All banks usually have 25-28 days of holiday + 10-13 days of paid sick leave/national holidays.

It would be nice if you weren't a usury apologist who didn't say 'do expand' at the end of each comment they type out like the smarmy private school creature they are
    I'm asking because you clearly don't know what you're talking about and are here to troll. This exchange has all but affirmed my suspicion that you're here to troll.

I'm not going to continue this conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    :zomg: I have the exact same goals as you :jumphug:

I'd ideally want to graduate with a 1:1, however if life comes in the way Idm as long as I graduate with a 2:1 and still manage to get onto a funded PHD programme. What research field do you want to go into? I've still yet to decide what field I'd like to go into but something that I can develop further from my degree. (Theoretical Physics)

Where do you want to go travelling? I've got a whole bucket list:
    1) Monaco/Paris/Marseilles, France. 2) Denver, Colorado (USA) 3) Rome, Italy.
    4) Barcelona, Spain. 5) Venice, California (USA). 6) New York. (USA)
    7) Hong Kong, China. 8) Tokyo, Japan. 9) Abu Dubai, UAE,
    10) Melbourne, Australia. 11) Switzerland. 12) Iceland ---> Northern lights :heart:

Are you a cat/dog person? What pet breed would you get?
    I'm a cat type of person though I :heart: Husky dogs = Life complete.
    I can't stand small dogs, they would just annoy tf out of me.
    Yay :jumphug:

Yeah a 2.1 would still be great, and it's probably more realistic for me haha I want to go into veterinary parasitology, not sure if I want to focus on epidemeology etc yet, but I'd like to study something like Echinococcus granulosus. Tapeworms are pretty cool. I'm hoping to apply in December!

Oh wow, I always admire people who do physics, I would have loved to have been good at it

They all seem like amazing places! I want to go to a few similar. Places like Melbourne, Venice, Vienna, Athens, New York, Iceland, Sweden, Hawaii, Japan, Egypt and so on.

Yeah they are pretty cool Ah I'm a dog person! I would ideally have loads of breeds, big and small, a Great Dane, a Boxer, a French Bulldog, a Poodle, a German Shepherd, I could keep going but it's just not realistic then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1) Graduate with a 1st !!
    2) Complete my Masters degree in Canada
    3) Visit San Fransisco
    4) Find a job that makes me happy.
    5) Buy an Apartment

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.