Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did he give me a fake phone number or was it an accident? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so let me explain. I was staying at this hotel with my friend and one of the guys working there was cute so one day when he came to our room to give us the wifi password, we started chatting to him and we told him he was cute. He seemed really happy with this compliment and gave a big smile and said thanks. Then I asked him if he had whatsapp and he once again seemed happy and smiled and said yes and I asked him if i could have his number and he said sure and smiled. He seemed really nice, friendly, and definitely not uncomfortable with giving his number. When I gave him my phone to put his number in he typed it really fast and i remember thinking that he was really fast in typing in the numbers. Then we chatted with him a bit more and he left.

Later that night we saw that he was not on whatsapp so we wondered if he had lied or purposely given us a fake number. It made no sense to us that he would intentionally try to give a fake number because he did not seem uncomfortable to give us his number when I asked..and I guess if he didn't want to it would kind of show on his face..or he would look reluctant etc.

My friend and I were really confused so we decided to call the hotel today and we asked to speak to him. When we did he seemed nervous, and could be because the guy at the hotel, his manager or whatever who answered the phone first was standing by him (he is a trainee) or it could have been because he knew we knew that wasn't his number. We told him he wasnt on whatsapp and he said he is and we said you gave us a wrong number and he said he didnt and we asked for his number again and at first he gave his number and then when we said thanks and were going to hang up he asked if he could repeat it again and we said yeah and the second number he gave had one number different from the first...and that is his correct number..

so for example if he gave us the number 75849384 first, he later said 75829384. So we don't know if he gave another wrong number because he was nervous or whatever or because he actually never wanted to give us his number..

and I'm pretty good at reading body language and he did not look uncomfortable or hesitant to give us his number when we asked him face to face...so what is going on?? We do have his correct number now but I want to know..do you think he was trying to avoid giving his number all along? Or was this just an innocent mistake??

(Also the very first time he gave his number it was one number off from his real number and the numbers were next to each other so it is possible he just accidentally gave the wrong one the first time at the hotel but whats up with him giving a wrong one again on the phone before repeating the correct number???)

I know most will assume he was probably never interested in giving us his number but he looked happy when we asked..so I am so confused. And my friend even said we dont have friends in the area and we were only being friendly, we didn't want to date him or anything..

Opinions??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter? You've got his right one now lmao.. If it was one digit off then yeah I expect there's a 90% chance he just typed it fast and did it wrong

FYI, calling the hotel to speak to him was a bit psycho

ReputationRep:
    You went a bit far calling the hotel to ask him why he gave you a fake number. Tbh I'd take it as him not being interested, considering the first number was fake and he was reluctant to give you his real number. He clearly gave you the same fake number the second time and then felt guilty so gave you his real one at the end. He was probably happy because it was an ego boost, but if he really wanted you to have his number he would have taken the time to check it and make sure it was accurate.

But once again, calling the hotel was too far.

ReputationRep:
    Yoo orlredee meyd this thred yestuhdey...

ReputationRep:
    Wow you seem a bit crazy and obsessed.

He's not interested. You dont give a wrong number twice. He probably seemed happy to do it at first because he wouldnt want to offend a customer who could potentially give him a tip or tell his manager or something. The third time he probably felt guilty or that was the mistake.

Move on, and next time you meet someone once dont turn into a stalker... They dont have any obligation to you after meeting you once.

ReputationRep:
    **** me guys probably waking up in the night afraid you're going to be an inch from his face with some psycho look on your face.

He probably wasn't all that interested in getting to know you further, he would act confidently because his "job" is to be positive to customers, ringing the hotel to find him?....not sure what to say.

ReputationRep:
    Girl you're actually crazy.

If someone gave me a bogus number I wouldn't track them down and interrogate them lmao.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.