Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm suddenly against certain animals in zoos Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why the Victorians and pre-tv age people thought it was a good idea to bring bears, lions, large fish etc into captivity but now I think we are better showing children these creatures in the wild ... we have led the way in wildlife filming so zoos should only be for creatures that aren't really affected by a confined environment ... one's that live in one anyway ... there are plenty to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    I totally disagree with zoos as well and sea world animals aren't here for our entertainment

ReputationRep:
    The virus is spreading isn't it

My emotional attachment with animals is at it's highest today. Caging animals deep down bothers me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    It was a picture of a polar bear standing on it's hind feet looking longingly at a photo of it's natural environment that tipped me.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda agree, I do find it very cute to look at such animals but I believe Zoos should only really be housing endangered animals which they have in a conservation/breeding programme. It's not really fair to keep animals in captivity for such a long time IMO.

But then again, you can question whether the animals are actually aware they are in captivity - they probably don't have experience of being in the wild so realistically it's not going to affect them... plus, they're animals...so...I don't think they'd have that level of rational thought.

(Original post by Blondie987)
    I totally disagree with zoos as well and sea world animals aren't here for our entertainment
    Even humans are used for our entertainment. Ban musicians, actors etc. if you want to ban zoos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I kinda agree,...
    The conservation / last resort reason is ok but comparing with clips of them in the wild it seems they are less healthy and happy, therefore less enjoyable and inspirational which defeats the argument for bringing them to zoos.

ReputationRep:
    Free range zoos are the answer. Or going on safari in africa if you can afford that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Even humans are used for our entertainment. Ban musicians, actors etc. if you want to ban zoos.
    You mage a caged mind if you really think that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care tbh

(Original post by NJA)
    You mage a caged mind if you really think that.
    Well, what about child actors? And babies being used in films and TV? Why is that okay, when zoos are not?

ReputationRep:
    Well, what about child actors? And babies being used in films and TV? Why is that okay, when zoos are not?
    Kids are queueing up to be actors!
    Babies know no different but if the parents get £500 to put in a savings account for them would you not want it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, cos actors and musicians are forced into working and have to live in cages right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I don't really care tbh
    What do you care about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    What do you care about?
    Stuff that affects me
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Safari is the way forward

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Safari is the way forward
    hmm, for a small minority with pots of money

(Original post by Blondie987)
    Yeah, cos actors and musicians are forced into working and have to live in cages right?
    Your argument was 'we should ban zoos cos animals aren't for our entertainment' - but musicians and actors are animals who exist for our entertainment.

Child actors are often very heavily pressured by their parents

Also,

(Original post by NJA)
    Kids are queueing up to be actors!
    Babies know no different but if the parents get £500 to put in a savings account for them would you not want it?
    So zoos would be okay if we paid the animals, or gave them rewards e.g. food?

ReputationRep:
    You obvioulsy know little about child-rearing ... they are inquisitive and endanger themselves when not supervised.

So zoos would be okay if we paid the animals, or gave them rewards e.g. food?
    I have better things to do than have silly arguments with you.

(Original post by NJA)
    You obvioulsy know little about child-rearing ... they are inquisitive and endanger themselves when not supervised.
    And animals don't?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.