Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When we substitute x = tan (theta) to find definite integration, why we assume theta to be an acute angle?

ReputationRep:
    Would need context but the only reason I can think of off the top of my head is that tan is positive when acute and negative 90<theta<180

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mystreet091234)
    When we substitute x = tan (theta) to find definite integration, why we assume theta to be an acute angle?
    We don't? We simple restrict x = \tan \theta to be piecewise injective over our integration domain. This means that we need 0 \leq \theta \leq \pi (or any other interval of length \pi, with the obvious exception of \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} in which case we get an improper integral. You might want to give an example or such so that we can clarify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    We don't? We simple restrict x = \tan \theta to be piecewise injective over our integration domain. This means that we need 0 \leq \theta \leq \pi (or any other interval of length \pi, with the obvious exception of \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} in which case we get an improper integral. You might want to give an example or such so that we can clarify.
    How do we know if the upper limit is not pi-pi/6 for obtuse angle?
    Q:Name:  question.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  7.7 KB
    A:Attachment 513987513989
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    How do we know if the upper limit is not pi-pi/6 for obtuse angle?
    Because, like I said - we need x \mapsto \sin x to be an injective mapping, i.e: \arcsin \frac{1}{2} can only have one value and we pick the principal value \frac{\pi}{6}.

ReputationRep:
    Because, like I said - we need x \mapsto \sin x to be an injective mapping, i.e: \arcsin \frac{1}{2} can only have one value and we pick the principal value \frac{\pi}{6}.
    I see thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I'm still confused. Why does it have to be injective?
    Name:  injective.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  35.1 KB
    For example, why isn't there a plus/minus sign near the u in step (iii) ?

Also for finding Cartesian equation of a curve from its parametric equations x=sin t and y=sin 2t, are the two equations also injective mapping?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  515.6 KB

But for another question, it seems the marking scheme isnt treating the equation as injective...when should an equation be treated as injective?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  232.9 KBAttachment 514541514543

Sorry for my dumbness
    Zacken aymanzayedmannan
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for my dumbness
    You're not being dumb - it's actually a really good thing that you're attempting to understand why we're using a one-to-one function rather than just learning rote methods.

I'll let Zacken handle your confusion about injectivity because he'll have a much more intuitive answer.

But for another question, it seems the marking scheme isnt treating the equation as injective...when should an equation be treated as injective?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  232.9 KB
    However, for this question I don't really see anything about restricting domains as such, this seems like straightforward differentiation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    You're not being dumb - it's actually a really good thing that you're attempting to understand why we're using a one-to-one function rather than just learning rote methods.

I'll let Zacken handle your confusion about injectivity because he'll have a much more intuitive answer.

However, for this question I don't really see anything about restricting domains as such, this seems like straightforward differentiation.
    Thanks for replying so quickly!!
    I'm waiting for Zacken's reply too
    You two are the besttt

So for that question when we don't have to restrict domain, one-to-one function isn't needed?

When do we need to restrict domain? for integration and parametric equation?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I'm still confused. Why does it have to be injective?
    It doesn't really need to be injective, it just needs to be piece wise injective. So for example, I can take u^2 = x^2 - 4 piecewise on (-\infty, 0] and [, \infty) where it is injective on these two different intervals separately. This is a bit hard to wrap your head around, I know - so I'm going to say that at this level, you can treat mostly everything as "just taking the positive root" - so if you have \cos^2 t = 1-\sin^2 t, don't worry about it - at A-Level you will only just need to take the positive root and write down \cos t = \sqrt{1-\sin^2 t}. I wish I had a better explanation but I don't have quite enough time to type one out right now. Don't worry about injectivity, it seems that I have just confused you by using the word.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really need to be injective, it just needs to be piece wise injective. So for example, I can take u^2 = x^2 - 4 piecewise on (-\infty, 0] and [, \infty) where it is injective on these two different intervals separately. This is a bit hard to wrap your head around, I know - so I'm going to say that at this level, you can treat mostly everything as "just taking the positive root" - so if you have \cos^2 t = 1-\sin^2 t, don't worry about it - at A-Level you will only just need to take the positive root and write down \cos t = \sqrt{1-\sin^2 t}. I wish I had a better explanation but I don't have quite enough time to type one out right now. Don't worry about injectivity, it seems that I have just confused you by using the word.
    Okay so for sub-fuctions of the piecewise function just take positive roots so this also explains my parametric equation problem!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying so quickly!!
    I'm waiting for Zacken's reply too
    You two are the besttt

So for that question when we don't have to restrict domain, one-to-one function isn't needed?

When do we need to restrict domain? for integration and parametric equation?
    One way to avoid thinking about it is by taking a sub of u = \sqrt{x^{2} -4}. We know that squaring both sides only yields the positive value of the function. Honestly, don't worry about restriction of domains because you'll only ever need the positive root in A-level maths and further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    One way to avoid thinking about it is by taking a sub of u = \sqrt{x^{2} -4}. We know that squaring both sides only yields the positive value of the function. Honestly, don't worry about restriction of domains because you'll only ever need the positive root in A-level maths and further maths.
    Got it!!
    Thank you guys

ReputationRep:
    Okay so for sub-fuctions of the piecewise function just take positive roots so this also explains my parametric equation problem!!!

THANKS SO MUCH
    Here's a post I've made about injectivity and substitution in the past: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post62689379 - you might find it vaguely illuminating.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.