Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HELP!!
    Hi there, I am new to this, so stay with me. I am studying English Literature and am currently trying to attempt comparing two texts 'A streetcar named desire' and 'A yellow wallpaper'. I have no clue what question to do! I was considering one on mental heath and feminism, please help. Final draft is due this Thursday.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    A Streetcar named Desire is a play, not a book. I don't know the other one but mental health would be good to focus on for ASND because of Blanche's spiral into a mental breakdown.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sorry am just a bit panicked at the moment. I was thinking something along the lines of how Blanche is seen negatively as a result of her mental deterioration. Not sure though?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by sophiejordanxxx)
    Yeah, sorry am just a bit panicked at the moment. I was thinking something along the lines of how Blanche is seen negatively as a result of her mental deterioration. Not sure though?
    This is a very good option! I would lean towards how "female hysteria is presented in Desire and Wallpaper". If you know Williams plays, then he often does portray his female progtagonist in a certain way - for the audience to think about how women are not fragile but are often put in a situation that they have no choice but to "go bad" or act hysteric. Blanche is quite all over the place from one scene to the other because of what society (men) have done to her. She is trapped within her own "home" and is portrayed by the people who are meant to love her.

Similarily in Wallpaper, isn't the protagonist "locked" in a room by her husband because of her depression? I've not read that text, but you could compare it on the basis of how women feel trapped by society? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    This is a very good option! I would lean towards how "female hysteria is presented in Desire and Wallpaper". If you know Williams plays, then he often does portray his female progtagonist in a certain way - for the audience to think about how women are not fragile but are often put in a situation that they have no choice but to "go bad" or act hysteric. Blanche is quite all over the place from one scene to the other because of what society (men) have done to her. She is trapped within her own "home" and is portrayed by the people who are meant to love her.

Similarily in Wallpaper, isn't the protagonist "locked" in a room by her husband because of her depression? I've not read that text, but you could compare it on the basis of how women feel trapped by society? :dontknow:
    Thank you so much! In "The Yellow Wallpaper" she is definitely trapped. I think I will explore how women are trapped within the private sphere and gender roles. Also in "A Streetcar Named Desire' Blanche is trapped as Stanley foils her chance with Mitch when he persecutes her. This will really help with my comparison of the two texts, thank you for your help.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.