Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Reading various websites in regards to funding for Graduate Entry Medicine and they all seem to imply that I would need to pay the first £3,375 myself/NHS bursary and I may be eligible for a tuition fee loan from student finance to cover the remainder. However, when I check SFE, it does not say I am entitled to a tuition fee loan.
    Does anybody know if I can get a tuition fee loan from SFE?

Thank you very much
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sherrilee)
    Hi,

Reading various websites in regards to funding for Graduate Entry Medicine and they all seem to imply that I would need to pay the first £3,375 myself/NHS bursary and I may be eligible for a tuition fee loan from student finance to cover the remainder. However, when I check SFE, it does not say I am entitled to a tuition fee loan.

Thank you very much
    As long as you are on a 4 year GEM course, yes you can get a tuition fee loan for the rest. Make sure you haven't ticked the box saying you are doing an NHS funded course, because you won't be. NHS funding only kicks in in second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherrilee)
    Hi,

Thank you very much
    The entire GEM funding situation is a complete bodge, based on special exemptions and departmental understandings that were complicated even before tuition fees were increased a few years ago. Essentially, fees and living costs are split between the student, the NHS/Department of Health, and SFE. GEM is treated like a first degree from SFE's perspective in terms of eligibility (so, time spent living in the UK and other residential eligibility requirements still apply), although you don't get the full amount that a first-degree student would. You may have to do some convincing to get approved, as its reasonably common for individual SFE advisors not to have heard of the GEM exemption. Also, the bodge funding arrangements for this year haven't been formally announced yet to the best of my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    In regards to the funding, how much will you typically get? As I see the same information from the OP every time I search online. If it isn't much, is there time to work around the course to help with living costs??

ReputationRep:
    When I spoke to SFE they said you receive everything an undergrad would get with regards to both tuition and maintenance loans.

Aside from the initial £3kish payment there should be no difference. I think NHS and SFE sort the fees out between themselves and you can apply for additional bursaries depending on circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    When I spoke to SFE they said you receive everything an undergrad would get with regards to both tuition and maintenance loans.

Aside from the initial £3kish payment there should be no difference. I think NHS and SFE sort the fees out between themselves and you can apply for additional bursaries depending on circumstances.
    Okay, thank you! I may talk to student finance next week!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.