Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I was also at the open day!

That sounds like a great opportunity! However, the work experience is offered for your benefit. It is not a token which will grant you easy access onto the vet course at cambridge. I am also sure that you would have to pay for the accommodation at the college.

It is therefore more a choice of if it is going tp be of benefit to you. If you are struggling to find places to take you on or if you would like to experience what it is like to stay at a college then I would say yes. However, if you already have experience and the cost is too much and only see it as an offer which could grant you beneficial treatment at application then it may not be worthwhile.

Also, what did you think of the open day? Anyone else considering Cambridge, if so what college are you thinking of applying to??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    when I was at the Cambridge open day I was talking to a lecturer and he offered me a few days of work experience with him at the referral hospital and said I could stay over at one of the colleges
    it sounded AMAZING at the time but now I'm questioning whether it's worth it :/
    it's a 3 hour journey and I'm guessing I'd have to pay for the accommodation, would I be better off just going to a normal vet that's closer to me??

Not many applicants will be able to say they have been to see practice in a referral practice- it will give you another 'type' of vet practice that you have experienced, and allow you to compare to a 'normal' practice. Sorry, I haven't worded that bit very well...I think what I'm trying to say is that it will give a slightly broader set of experience (compared to spending the same amount of time at a practice you have been at previously), if you get what I mean?

Assuming you would be able to sort transport, I suggest that you email the guy that you spoke to thank them for their offer (say that you're keen, assuming that the potential cost of accommodation is the only major barrier/thing that is putting you off?) and ask him to clarify whether or not you would need to pay for the accommodation that he mentioned. If he comes back saying you would need to pay, just tell the truth and say the cost is a barrier, so thanks for the offer, but you can't take it. You never know, he may come back saying they can get you in for free (which is certainly possible if it is out with term time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    Not many applicants will be able to say they have been to see practice in a referral practice- it will give you another 'type' of vet practice that you have experienced, and allow you to compare to a 'normal' practice. Sorry, I haven't worded that bit very well...I think what I'm trying to say is that it will give a slightly broader set of experience (compared to spending the same amount of time at a practice you have been at previously), if you get what I mean?

Assuming you would be able to sort transport, I suggest that you email the guy that you spoke to thank them for their offer (say that you're keen, assuming that the potential cost of accommodation is the only major barrier/thing that is putting you off?) and ask him to clarify whether or not you would need to pay for the accommodation that he mentioned. If he comes back saying you would need to pay, just tell the truth and say the cost is a barrier, so thanks for the offer, but you can't take it. You never know, he may come back saying they can get you in for free (which is certainly possible if it is out with term time).
    They use the rooms for conference guests and the like so it is still likely that you would have to pay for the rent of the room
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    when I was at the Cambridge open day I was talking to a lecturer and he offered me a few days of work experience with him at the referral hospital and said I could stay over at one of the colleges
    it sounded AMAZING at the time but now I'm questioning whether it's worth it :/
    it's a 3 hour journey and I'm guessing I'd have to pay for the accommodation, would I be better off just going to a normal vet that's closer to me??
    I think that Labrador99 and Anderson2727 have given very sensible advice here. I would echo the fact that few veterinary applicants will have gained experience within a referral hospital (what sort of referrals do they do, out of interest? ), so it could definitely help to set you apart from other people. That said, most vets will work in first opinion practice, so I would prioritise organising these sorts of placements before sorting out fancier stuff. That will hopefully give you a vague idea of how first opinion practice operates so that you can contrast it to referrals. No use trying to run before you can walk and all that. I'm supposed to be organising my clinical placements for vet school, and we're not allowed to go to referral centres before we've done ten weeks in first opinion practice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anderson2727)
    They use the rooms for conference guests and the like so it is still likely that you would have to pay for the rent of the room
    A lot of unis hold summer schools where (in some cases) it is free to participate/stay, so it is possible that they will let them stay for free. As I said, asking will get a definitive answer, which may inform their decision. defenestrated You could also look into alternative accommodation if the uni accommodation suggested is pricy.

ReputationRep:
    Where are all of you planning to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of unis hold summer schools where (in some cases) it is free to participate/stay, so it is possible that they will let them stay for free. As I said, asking will get a definitive answer, which may inform their decision. defenestrated You could also look into alternative accommodation if the uni accommodation suggested is pricy.
    This is not a summer school however so therefore accommodation will not be free. Cambridge holds their own VetCam which is a summer school and the accommodation is also not free. It will also depend on room availability if it is even possible to stay in a college however there is a hotel nearby! Yeah so personally, I do not see them saying to come stay for free, but you may as well ask them to see if they can accommodate you and then go from there! @defenestrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana fana)
    Nottingham
    Cambridge
    Liverpool
    Bristol

You?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham
    Surrey
    Bristol
    RVC
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is not a summer school however so therefore accommodation will not be free. Cambridge holds their own VetCam which is a summer school and the accommodation is also not free. It will also depend on room availability if it is even possible to stay in a college however there is a hotel nearby! Yeah so personally, I do not see them saying to come stay for free, but you may as well ask them to see if they can accommodate you and then go from there! @defenestrated
    I only said it was a possibility, as it is- the person has no confirmation as to whether or not they will have to pay, therefore it is possible they will have to and it is possible that they won't. You cannot be certain that 'accommodation will not be free', unless you have checked on behalf of the poster? Your response came across as quite rude (apologies if that was unintentional and I have interpreted it wrong), but as I have already explained, it is possible that they will let them stay for free and asking will get a definitive answer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Definitely Glasgow and Edinburgh (Scottish student here ). Not sure where else as I'm now thinking I will apply next year for 2019 entry.

ReputationRep:
    I only said it was a possibility, as it is- the person has no confirmation as to whether or not they will have to pay, therefore it is possible they will have to and it is possible that they won't. You cannot be certain that 'accommodation will not be free', unless you have checked on behalf of the poster? Your response came across as quite rude (apologies if that was unintentional and I have interpreted it wrong), but as I have already explained, it is possible that they will let them stay for free and asking will get a definitive answer.
    It was not intended to come across as being rude, I was just reiterating my previous reply that it is very unlikely that it would be offered for free. I also agreed that they should check with the person they spoke to but I was remaining realistic that it is very highly unlikely considering many factors. Again, im sorry if I came across as rude.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I was also at the open day!

That sounds like a great opportunity! However, the work experience is offered for your benefit. It is not a token which will grant you easy access onto the vet course at cambridge. I am also sure that you would have to pay for the accommodation at the college.

It is therefore more a choice of if it is going tp be of benefit to you. If you are struggling to find places to take you on or if you would like to experience what it is like to stay at a college then I would say yes. However, if you already have experience and the cost is too much and only see it as an offer which could grant you beneficial treatment at application then it may not be worthwhile.

Also, what did you think of the open day? Anyone else considering Cambridge, if so what college are you thinking of applying to??

(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I think that Labrador99 and Anderson2727 have given very sensible advice here. I would echo the fact that few veterinary applicants will have gained experience within a referral hospital (what sort of referrals do they do, out of interest? ), so it could definitely help to set you apart from other people. That said, most vets will work in first opinion practice, so I would prioritise organising these sorts of placements before sorting out fancier stuff. That will hopefully give you a vague idea of how first opinion practice operates so that you can contrast it to referrals. No use trying to run before you can walk and all that. I'm supposed to be organising my clinical placements for vet school, and we're not allowed to go to referral centres before we've done ten weeks in first opinion practice.
    AGAINST ALL ODDS he said accommodation will be free!!
    I feel so unbelievably lucky especially since I'm really interested in diagnostics and I'd get to see the process more in a referral hospital since the cases are more complex (plus I've been to 4 first opinion practices, maybe 5 by the time I apply, so it'll be cool to see the difference)
    transport is meh I need to sort that out because I don't want to ask my dad to drive 3 hours there and straight back twice (and I think even if I did ask he wouldn't want to)
    it'd be £31.50 for a return ticket on a coach so I could ask for that to be my birthday present (ik I'm lame)

also I'm not sure if I'm the only one who'd be doing this? because they never mentioned this opportunity to everyone during the open day, he just said it to me, and he let me choose the dates completely and my dad finds that kind of weird (mostly I find it awesome but I see where he's coming from)
    I know they have their vetcam thing which costs £230 and that's mainly talks and group practicals so I have literally no idea why I'd get to do work experience by myself and stay over for free :confused: I don't want to be like "why are you letting me do this" because that sounds rude and I am very grateful but my dad's not 100% comfortable with the idea of me doing it alone, especially since the colleges will be mostly empty for summer
    sooo if anyone knows what's going on pls tell me, should I ask him??

ALSO
    Little Tail Chaser they do everything I think, small and large animal and behaviour referrals (if that's what you meant by type?)
    Anderson2727 I really liked the city it was so pretty and I love how everything's within walking distance, the vet department itself was great too DID YOU SEE THE COW MACHINE IN THE CLINICAL SKILLS LAB?? that was really cool lol but yeah it's the first open day I've been to so I don't have anything to compare it to yet, what did you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    I feel so unbelievably lucky especially since I'm really interested in diagnostics and I'd get to see the process more in a referral hospital since the cases are more complex (plus I've been to 4 first opinion practices, maybe 5 by the time I apply, so it'll be cool to see the difference)
    transport is meh I need to sort that out because I don't want to ask my dad to drive 3 hours there and straight back twice (and I think even if I did ask he wouldn't want to)
    it'd be £31.50 for a return ticket on a coach so I could ask for that to be my birthday present (ik I'm lame)

also I'm not sure if I'm the only one who'd be doing this? because they never mentioned this opportunity to everyone during the open day, he just said it to me, and he let me choose the dates completely and my dad finds that kind of weird (mostly I find it awesome but I see where he's coming from)
    I know they have their vetcam thing which costs £230 and that's mainly talks and group practicals so I have literally no idea why I'd get to do work experience by myself and stay over for free :confused: I don't want to be like "why are you letting me do this" because that sounds rude and I am very grateful but my dad's not 100% comfortable with the idea of me doing it alone, especially since the colleges will be mostly empty for summer

ALSO
    Little Tail Chaser they do everything I think, small and large animal and behaviour referrals (if that's what you meant by type?)
    Anderson2727 I really liked the city it was so pretty and I love how everything's within walking distance, the vet department itself was great too DID YOU SEE THE COW MACHINE IN THE CLINICAL SKILLS LAB?? that was really cool lol but yeah it's the first open day I've been to so I don't have anything to compare it to yet, what did you think of it?
    First of all, wow! I can't say how surprised that they will give you the accommodation for free! If it was Tim who offered it you at the college he is a fellow of then I can understand! But yeah, well done! :D

I really really loved it! The city was amazing, the the facilities were superb (yeah, I saw the cow!!!!) I also really like the extra opportunity the third year gives to its students! I will defo be applying there! Are you? If so, have you thought about which college to apply to?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Also, not to say you're clever enough, but the danger with referral hospitals is that you might not know what's going on (and we were given that advice as vet students finishing second year). A lot of first opinion vets may not even know what they're discussing! That said, it sounds like you already have lots of first opinion experience
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Oh awesome! In that case, what a fantastic opportunity. You really have landed on your feet there! Since you have already done so much in first opinion practice (and I agree it is good to see how different places operate), I would jump at the opportunity.

Regarding you not being quite sure about it, maybe email your contact to thank them again for the offer and just clarify what the placement would entail? I'm sure that if you are polite then it will not come off as rude, and if anything I think it will help you to look organised I think I would be a bit incredulous as well if I were in your situation!

If it's of any reassurance to your dad at all, I did a similar thing prior to applying (did work experience in the RVC's labs and stayed on-site in student halls to do it), and I didn't really find it weird. A bit lonely maybe (there was no one there!), but it felt good to be able to do what I wanted and fend for myself, so to speak. I think it would be a good way of proving to people (family and/or admissions staff!) that you're ready for student life and able to take care of yourself for a little bit.

Regarding VetCam, I think what you've been offered is a little different to that. I never did VetCam but I would assume that what you've been offered is going to be general help/dogsbodying, but (and this is total conjecture, btw) I would assume that if someone paid for a course they would try to reduce the amount of dirty work they had to do? Someone I knew that went to VetCam also told me that there was a fancy meal and all that too, so that would help explain the hefty cost.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I know they have their vetcam thing which costs £230 and that's mainly talks and group practicals so I have literally no idea why I'd get to do work experience by myself and stay over for freeI don't want to be like "why are you letting me do this" because that sounds rude and I am very grateful but my dad's not 100% comfortable with the idea of me doing it alone, especially since the colleges will be mostly empty for summer

ALSO
    That's great news!
    I can see why your dad would be worried and can only speculate that what the guy offered you is more of a 'one off' because he saw potential in you and you showed your commitment through your previous work experience and you were enthusiastic? That doesn't mean to say you're the one and only one who has been given such an offer, but as you said, it wasn't exactly advertised for everyone to be able to do!
    It really seems like a brilliant opportunity you have been offered and if what LTC said puts your dad's mind at ease a bit, I think you should go for it!

ReputationRep:
    This might sound a bit of a stupid comment but I'm not sure whether I should apply to veterinary or not because I have really bad stress levels and have suffered over 10 years. I am doubting whether to apply do to the stress levels of the course and the job. Its really concerning for me due to the fact that I have wanted to be a vet for ages. Does anyone have advice on this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by VictiniCup)
    This might sound a bit of a stupid comment but I'm not sure whether I should apply to veterinary or not because I have really bad stress levels and have suffered over 10 years. I am doubting whether to apply do to the stress levels of the course and the job. Its really concerning for me due to the fact that I have wanted to be a vet for ages. Does anyone have advice on this?
    :console:

Sorry that you have had a hard time with this. Vet school (and being a vet!) are undeniably stressful, so this is definitely something that you would have to consider carefully before applying.

If it eases your mind at all, RVC at least (and I would imagine all other vet schools) are very keen on finding ways to reduce students' stress. From little things like handing out sheets of bubble wrap for students to wreck (yes, seriously ) to sessions every week where you can speak to older students about any university-related worries and do mindfulness colouring and all that. Fairly often throughout the year they bring in masseuses to give people massages for free. 💅 We had puppy parties and a trip to the beach as well. On a more serious note we have someone whos job it is to help students deal with exam/study based stress, who you can make 1:1 appointments with. We also have trained counsellors that you can speak to, and again it's all free. I believe there is someone who gets extra time in exams due to stress as well, they are really accommodating.

If this is something that you really struggle with then I would advise perhaps speaking to a GP to see what help they can give you.

Hope that provided some insight
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by VictiniCup)
    As a naturally stressy person, I feel you, although maybe not to the extent that you've experienced
    Everyone is different but personally for me the best things have been mindfulness meditation, yoga, exercising, having awesome friends to vent to& generally just making sure I take care of myself. Being a vet student really is great and I enjoy so much of the degree, but I make sure it never takes priority over my health. Yes, that does sometimes mean I only pass exams when I am probably capable of better but at the end of the day I don't think getting 70+% is worth potentially jeopardising my mental health for.
    Nottingham are really good and our mental health representative this year has been amazing & has set up some really good initiatives. It's really easy to see both the welfare officer at the vet school or one of the counsellors.
    At the end of the day, only you know you & what your level of tolerance and stress triggers are, but getting into a vet course isn't the end of the road if you get me:
    1) I think all of the vet schools are understanding if you need a year out for mental health reasons. My friend had quite a messed up past she needed to get over and she actually took 3 years out!
    2) although it's more of a last resort, if you do get in and decide it's not for you you can drop out. It's sad but true (although definitely a minority of people) but sometimes people do get on the course and don't realise it's not for them until they've experienced it.
    3) yes being a vet is stressful, but it's not your only career option with a vet degree. You could go into research, be a teacher or lecturer, work for the government in a wide variety of roles, advise companies in animal welfare and so much more. I've recently started considering other rolls outside of a conventional vet and it's really taken the pressure off me!
    Never be afraid to get help either. This year, my anxiety & stress reached the point that I needed medication. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made (I nearly cried to my doctor and I'd actually made the appointment for a different issue!) but it helped me pass my exams and having better mental health for it was totally worth it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.