Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone for the advice!!

(Original post by Anderson2727)
    First of all, wow! I can't say how surprised that they will give you the accommodation for free! If it was Tim who offered it you at the college he is a fellow of then I can understand! But yeah, well done!

I really really loved it! The city was amazing, the the facilities were superb (yeah, I saw the cow!!!!) I also really like the extra opportunity the third year gives to its students! I will defo be applying there! Are you? If so, have you thought about which college to apply to?
    yeah i think i will be
    I only looked around one college (Newnham) but I liked it so I might apply there
    Tim said Emmanuel has the most convenient location so maybe there
    I don't have any strong preference so if my best friend does then I'll just apply to the same place lol (but her favourite from the open day was somewhere that doesn't accept vet students )
    have you chosen a college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    thanks everyone for the advice!!

yeah i think i will be
    I only looked around one college (Newnham) but I liked it so I might apply there
    Tim said Emmanuel has the most convenient location so maybe there
    I don't have any strong preference so if my best friend does then I'll just apply to the same place lol (but her favourite from the open day was somewhere that doesn't accept vet students )
    have you chosen a college?

I really loved Fitzwilliam college! Thr accommodation is amazing and I like how it is out of the busy city centre yet still close to both the vet part and where the lectures take place in the city. The fact that they have a special room just for med and vet med students with all the books and anatomical skeletons etc was also what convinced me other another college which I was really considering.

But all the colleges are amazing and I may not get my preference - but yeah, I really liked Cambridge so will be defo applying.

Which other unis will you be applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anderson2727)
    I really loved Fitzwilliam college! Thr accommodation is amazing and I like how it is out of the busy city centre yet still close to both the vet part and where the lectures take place in the city. The fact that they have a special room just for med and vet med students with all the books and anatomical skeletons etc was also what convinced me other another college which I was really considering.

But all the colleges are amazing and I may not get my preference - but yeah, I really liked Cambridge so will be defo applying.

Which other unis will you be applying to?
    that sounds rly cool i might apply there then i wish i'd looked around more of the colleges :sad:
    probably bristol, nottingham and rvc
    wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham seems popular! I'm applying too.
    Nottingham, RVC, Edinburgh and Surrey seem likely for me, but I'm considering Liverpool in Edinburgh's place too.

ReputationRep:
    Heya, another applicant here
    I have like 2 weeks at an SA vet, 2 weeks at a Dog Daycare, a week on a Dairy Farm and a week at an Equine Centre, unsure as to whether I stand a chance or not but I'll try my best - Opinions?
    Unis applying to:
    - RVC (1)
    - Cambridge (2)
    - Liverpool (3)
    - Bristol (4)
    Good luck to you all

ReputationRep:
    Ayy, are you going to the Liverpool open day in October? :^) I can't apply to Bristol and I doubt I'm a candidate Cambridge will consider, so let me know what those unis are like if you've been/are going to visit. It's always interesting to hear

Your WE looks good! Wish I could have got a doggy daycare, I've never really had proper time with just dogs everywhere
    I currently have about 1 week and a half farm vets (done over Saturdays), 2 weeks equine, 2 weeks small animal, 1 week at a goat farm, 1 week at a dairy farm (done over Sundays), I'll have one week at a pet hotel + hydrotherapy by next Wednesday and I've done a day at an abattoir.
    I'm considering contacting my local farrier as well for a sneaky day with him

I don't think it's quantity which is the main thing, I think it's what you take away from what you've done already, so I wouldn't worry about your WE if you've got the minimum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brrrigid)
    Ayy, are you going to the Liverpool open day in October? :^) I can't apply to Bristol and I doubt I'm a candidate Cambridge will consider, so let me know what those unis are like if you've been/are going to visit. It's always interesting to hear

Your WE looks good! Wish I could have got a doggy daycare, I've never really had proper time with just dogs everywhere
    I currently have about 1 week and a half farm vets (done over Saturdays), 2 weeks equine, 2 weeks small animal, 1 week at a goat farm, 1 week at a dairy farm (done over Sundays), I'll have one week at a pet hotel + hydrotherapy by next Wednesday and I've done a day at an abattoir.
    I'm considering contacting my local farrier as well for a sneaky day with him

I don't think it's quantity which is the main thing, I think it's what you take away from what you've done already, so I wouldn't worry about your WE if you've got the minimum!
    Thanks for the response, and for the support - I don't think I can go to the Liverpool one but if I can I'll let you know What were your GCSEs/A Level preds like because I was shocked when I found out that Cambridge are a lot more lenient than you might think - put it this way, it's worth checking their course out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRDiablo)
    Thanks for the response, and for the support - I don't think I can go to the Liverpool one but if I can I'll let you know What were your GCSEs/A Level preds like because I was shocked when I found out that Cambridge are a lot more lenient than you might think - put it this way, it's worth checking their course out.

How lenient are Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictiniCup)
    How lenient are Cambridge?
    Hi Looks like they're not just looking for PERFECT students more kids that are better with their Sciences and their Maths. Lenient from a Work Experience perspective, but I reckon they wouldn't be so on the grades :/ Depends, I'm choosing my universities tailored to who I am, as I shine in Academics over Experience (having made a late choice of VetMed over Medicine). I reckon if you're on set for A*AA or higher then go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRDiablo)
    Hi Looks like they're not just looking for PERFECT students more kids that are better with their Sciences and their Maths. Lenient from a Work Experience perspective, but I reckon they wouldn't be so on the grades :/ Depends, I'm choosing my universities tailored to who I am, as I shine in Academics over Experience (having made a late choice of VetMed over Medicine). I reckon if you're on set for A*AA or higher then go for it
    Are right I see, weak academic student in terms if cambridge so its a no go for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictiniCup)
    Are right I see, weak academic student in terms if cambridge so its a no go for me.
    Not to worry If you have lots of experience, Liverpool might be one to look at, or if you're better rounded try RVC.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, you might be interested in reading the 2018 Undergraduate Admissions Statement for Veterinary Science at Bristol here:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...ry-science.pdf

It includes details of the new admissions process that Bristol is using.

ReputationRep:
    So which uni's would I be able to apply to, this is my current work experience:

2 weeks SA practice
    1 week Kennels and Cattery
    1 week Equine
    2 days pathology lab
    2 weeks petting zoo

ReputationRep:
    how did bristol go from the personal statement being 70% of their decision to interview to "We will not be using the Personal Statement in assessing applications in 2018"

:eek4:

ReputationRep:
    ThEY'RE NOT GOING TO INTERVIEW EITHER?? what is happening

ReputationRep:
    I'm really surprised at that! Like, really surprised. When I went for my interview in Bristol, it was largely taken up by my personal statement! I honestly am beginning to think they are doing this to gain students who are more academically gifted in the hopes to raise their rank, but that is my opinion because they are putting a great importance on GCSE and Alevel grades! They've also reduced the work experience required

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Surrey accepts deferred entry for vet med?

ReputationRep:
    No, answer found on page 3:https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Full Vet Admissions Policy.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I was wondering when this thread would arrive, welcome

I'm a first year at the RVC now so feel free to shoot me any questions about applying/vet school in general.
    I'm not gonna be a 2018 applicant but I really want to be a vet, I'm starting my a levels soon
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This is from the Surrey website:

"Deferred Entry

Deferred entry is not possible for the Veterinary Medicine programme."

Here is the link for the full document:

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sites/defau...%202017_18.pdf

(Original post by Nessie162)
    Does anyone know if Surrey accepts deferred entry for vet med?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.