Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anderson2727)
    Just a question concerning veterinary personal statements:
    I used whole lines to break up my paragraphs. It just looked so much better and more organised in my opinion. UCAS eats any other formatting you try to use (e.g. some people try to use indenting, but it doesn't work), so if the final line in a paragraph fills the entire line then it can be impossible to identify where a new paragraph is supposed to have started.

I have seen plenty of people not break up paragraphs, but I would say that the majority do. Certainly it is possible to cram in everything you need to write while still spacing it out properly. However as Lizziefickling said at the end of the day it's more about the content than the formatting. The universities know that you are pushed for space.

Note to you and anybody else applying this year; reminder that if you email your statement to [email protected], it will be reviewed and critiqued for free by a veterinary student We would be happy to give specific tips on formatting for your PS

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm planning on reapplying this year to do vet med. Do you think the unis will accept my work experience even though some of it was over 2 years ago. I got 4 interviews this year but messed up my exams so plan on resitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_rebeca)
    Hi I'm planning on reapplying this year to do vet med. Do you think the unis will accept my work experience even though some of it was over 2 years ago. I got 4 interviews this year but messed up my exams so plan on resitting
    It depends on whether they stipulate it has to have been carried out within a certain period of time before applying. At the end of the day I had placements dating back to 2009 when I applied in 2013 and I still put them down on work experience forms, however I did ensure I had what they asked for as well within the 18 months/2 year period time limit some of the universities required. I would keep your work exp up to date anyway and do what you can between now and October when you apply (and have some planned for after applying) just so you've covered yourself, but there's nothing stopping you putting the older stuff down (unless they've changed the forms since I applied)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by c_rebeca)
    Yeah, they will. You just need to make sure that you meet the minimum requirements within the stipulated period. Anything you do in excess of that can be done whenever. You need to input dates onto the work experience forms anyway so they'll see when it was carried out and can consider it at their discretion. I got asked about some 3+ year old placements at my RVC interview even though their cutoff is 18 months, so they definitely looked at it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to apply this year, possibly for deferred entry, for Veterinary Medicine. So far I have done 2 weeks small animal clinical work experience and 2 days large animal. I have also done approximately 4 weeks + of equine husbandry, which I did on a small private yard. I am currently living in Italy that means getting work experience is really difficult - could some of the uni's take this into account? I am hoping to confirm 2 more weeks in a vet clinic here, which should be interesting, especially as it's in another language! And there might be a chance of some work experience at a zoo. If anyone could give me some advice/thoughts on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by maca_17)
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to apply this year, possibly for deferred entry, for Veterinary Medicine. So far I have done 2 weeks small animal clinical work experience and 2 days large animal. I have also done approximately 4 weeks + of equine husbandry, which I did on a small private yard. I am currently living in Italy that means getting work experience is really difficult - could some of the uni's take this into account? I am hoping to confirm 2 more weeks in a vet clinic here, which should be interesting, especially as it's in another language! And there might be a chance of some work experience at a zoo. If anyone could give me some advice/thoughts on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    I have heard some universities say that they bear in mind where you live when assessing your work experience. It's only fair after all. Check each university's work experience requirements individually, but at current you meet the minimum that some establishments ask for. If you can get it, I would prioritise gaining some sort of farm experience if possible (forgive my ignorance but I'm assuming that pig farms must be fairly commonplace in Italy?), but what you've done so far is a great start. Make sure that in your personal statement you reflect on your experience, stating what you learned and how this will make you a better vet/student, and that you don't just list what you did.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to be a vet and have been volunteering at my vets for a couple weeks now. I am 15 and was wondering if it's normal to be a bit icky at the start. Like I'm fine with injections and blood but one day a dog came in that was attacked and it's eye tissue was cut and was sagging, the dog also had puncture wounds from teeth but they didn't bother me. The vet started moving the tissue around the eye, cleaning it and stitching it. I just felt a bit Icky about it. Is it normal to be like this at the start? Do u get use to it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi again guys
    When writing something that you learned from experience, does it have to be quite scientific like 'I learned how Laryngeal Paralysis works and can be fixed' or can it be quite general like 'I learned that procedures can range from quite basic to complicated' sorry if thats unclear really hard to convey what I mean in words.
    Thanks for any advice. Good luck to anyone applying.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aoife3171)
    I really want to be a vet and have been volunteering at my vets for a couple weeks now. I am 15 and was wondering if it's normal to be a bit icky at the start. Like I'm fine with injections and blood but one day a dog came in that was attacked and it's eye tissue was cut and was sagging, the dog also had puncture wounds from teeth but they didn't bother me. The vet started moving the tissue around the eye, cleaning it and stitching it. I just felt a bit Icky about it. Is it normal to be like this at the start? Do u get use to it?
    Lots of people are squeamish with eyes. You'll desensitise as you see more, it's really nothing to worry about.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TSRDiablo)
    Hi again guys
    When writing something that you learned from experience, does it have to be quite scientific like 'I learned how Laryngeal Paralysis works and can be fixed' or can it be quite general like 'I learned that procedures can range from quite basic to complicated' sorry if thats unclear really hard to convey what I mean in words.
    "I learned about how many different techniques exist in veterinary medicine, from blood sampling, to complex surgery such as fixing a dog with laryngeal paralysis" etc

Something along those lines
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi again guys
    I wouldn't use your latter sentence without providing some examples, i.e. 'I learned that procedures can range from basic, e.g. XYZ, to more complicated, e.g. ABC'. That would provide a springboard for interviewers to ask you about those things at interview. Not everything you write has to be super scientific, but avoid broad, unqualified statements as much as you can. Anybody could have been that complexity of what vets do varies, what have you done that stands out?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Eyes are definitely a big trigger for lots of people! Lots of unis are also supportive of genuine phobias; at Nottingham we have a student run group that supports people who don't like dissection and we get emails whenever we have teaching involving animals (or even pictures) that are common phobias, like snakes. I think it is okay to have things that you don't like & I've met vets and nurses who still don't like stuff (I've just worked with a locum vet on placement who made me clean poo off a dog's bum because he was borking so much! -.-). I personally am absolutely terrified of maggots so for now, if any fly strike bunnies come in to the vets where I work I have to excuse myself and sit round the back

ReputationRep:
    You gradually beget used to it over time. One thing that makes me cringe are open fractures, hate them they literally make me feel sick. Fine with everything else but that's one thing that I'm like a bit 'erghhhhh' over. Not brilliant at dealing with vomit either if I'm not feeling 100% at the time so it happens to all of us at some point. Over time you desensitise to these sort of things, and when you become a vet in practice you'll be concentrating on what you're doing rather than watching. I always find it easier to do rather than watch. Don't stress over it at the moment, if you ever feel a bit off whilst watching a surgery just tell them and go and get some air, or sometimes it makes it easier to sit down, they won't judge you for this and would much rather you told them than collapsed in a heap in theatre or were sick. We all have our icky moments!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be applying this October for veterinary medicine for 2018 entry (I hope that means I am writing in the right forum?). I am really concerned about the work experience I have and how limited it is, and I was hoping people would be able to tell me if what I have is enough or if taking a gap year to get more placements would be the better option. I am of course hoping I can get a bit more experience before my application. But I currently have:

Clinical:
    1 week in SA vet (2015 though so doesn't count)
    5 afternoons at a SA vet
    2 days in SA vet
    1 day shadowing equine vet

Non-clinical:
    5 full days at a farm park (still on going)
    Regularly helping out several times a week at a horse sanctuary over the course of 6 months
    A safari?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annabelle0700)
    Hi, I will be applying this October for veterinary medicine for 2018 entry (I hope that means I am writing in the right forum?). I am really concerned about the work experience I have and how limited it is, and I was hoping people would be able to tell me if what I have is enough or if taking a gap year to get more placements would be the better option. I am of course hoping I can get a bit more experience before my application. But I currently have:

Clinical:
    5 afternoons at a SA vet
    2 days in SA vet

Non-clinical:
    Regularly helping out several times a week at a horse sanctuary over the course of 6 months
    A safari?

Thank you!
    Hey From what I've heard, if your experience fits the University's requirements on their Website (For instance, RVC wants 2 weeks Clinical and 2 weeks Animal Environment based) then they can consider your opinion. From what I've heard at Open Days you will not be advantaged with more Work Experience than the minimum, however I would imagine people with more Experience have more to talk about in Interviews. Despite this, most universities stress that what is important is what you learned from your experience, and therefore if you picked up a lot during that experience you should have an equal opportunity.
    Personally I'm applying for 2018 too with low experience, this is all I've heard.
    Obviously the TSR people will be able to tell you more accurately. Only trying to help
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Annabelle0700)

Clinical:
    5 afternoons at a SA vet
    2 days in SA vet

Non-clinical:
    A safari?

Thank you!
    Where were you planning on applying?

Individual vet schools value work experience differently but I'm afraid that at current what you have won't be enough for all of them, e.g. RVC and Liverpool. Places like Cambridge, Edinburgh and Glasgow have no formal number of weeks required but tend to have higher grade requirements.

To an extent your success at gaining an interview is partially down to your ability to reflect on your experience in your personal statement. Quality/variety is, to an extent, more important than sheer quantity. I'm not going to tell you not to apply, but I think you should think very wisely about which universities you choose, and don't be surprised if you're forced to take a gap year anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    From what I've heard at Open Days you will not be advantaged with more Work Experience than the minimum, however I would imagine people with more Experience have more to talk about in Interviews.
    This is quite misleading and definitely not true of all universities; Liverpool for example pretty much use work experience as the basis of whether or not to offer an interview. Edinburgh state, verbatim: "...the broader the experience, the better, but you should not gain experience to the detriment of your academic studies. You should however gain both veterinary practice and animal work experience. You should gain as much and as varied practical work experience as possible"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    This is quite misleading and definitely not true of all universities; Liverpool for example pretty much use work experience as the basis of whether or not to offer an interview. Edinburgh state, verbatim: "...the broader the experience, the better, but you should not gain experience to the detriment of your academic studies. You should however gain both veterinary practice and animal work experience. You should gain as much and as varied practical work experience as possible"
    My only comments in that reply were to try to help, and I'm sorry if they were misleading, however I was only saying what I've heard and I wanted to express my limited knowledge on the subject being an applicant myself. I'm clearly out of place, I didn't intend to be misleading and I won't reply again.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard at Open Days you will not be advantaged with more Work Experience than the minimum, however I would imagine people with more Experience have more to talk about in Interviews. Despite this, most universities stress that what is important is what you learned from your experience
    I've heard similar things at a summer school and on the phone with the admissions offices.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both very much for your replies!

I was planning on applying to Cambridge, RVC, Nottingham, Bristol and Surrey. I really can't find much information on how many weeks Nottingham and Bristol would like but yes Liverpool is definitely out of the question. For the RVC, if I were to gain another week in a small animal practice do you think this would make my work experience satisfactory?

Thanks again!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.