Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sophielophie)
    Is maths studies accepted for veterinary medicine?
    There's a link here of all the universities entry requirements http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3508431
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by katerebecca)
    Hi thank you so much for your wonderful reply!

I go horse riding and I'm definitely going to ask if I could start helping out there after my exams finish as a long term thing, as I'd heard that it was good to have something long term on your application in order to look committed. I used to volunteer there when I was around 10 and the family who owns the riding school are family friends so I don't think it should be much of a problem!

I'll make sure to bare that in mind about grades before WEX. I always seem to forget that it's much easier to take that extra year out for WEX than spend it going through the stress of re taking a year.

What was the process like for you during A Levels in terms of getting the grades and applying? What is it like applying for Vet school? How helpful was your school? (Sorry about all the questions haha)

Ask away! That's why this thread is here
    Basically, in first year I did biology, geography, chemistry, physics and general studies (which doesn't really count for anything) & got BCEEB respectively. So I'm second year I did A2 biology and geography and got AB & resat AS chemistry to get an A. I also did extended project qualification on bovine TB & got an A*. In my third year, I then did A2 chemistry to get a B. My college's policy was that I had to do at least three subjects to be counted as a full time student, so I did AS geology (A) & redid AS geography because I knew I could get better and it was my AS grades that pulled me down the first time.
    In terms of support, my school were crap tbh; I think I might be the first person to actually get into vet school and all I got from the careers team was "ooh that's so good, that will be such a fulfilling career!" But they actually knew nothing about applying, grades or work experience. Luckily, the college I went to was extremely clued up, hence why I chose to go there. They were wary of me applying after third year, and not in a horrible way but I think they didn't expect me to get in. But they were pretty supportive, so I would bare this in mind when choosing sixth forms
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Bumping this in case we have any shy 2018 apps lurking!

You guys up to much over summer?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)

I'm playing pig vet the next fortnight. What be you up to LTC

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I'm playing pig vet the next fortnight. What be you up to LTC

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My piggy placement fell through so I'll do that next year methinks. I just finished helping to shear some sheep though, and I'm at a chicken farm next week :chicken:

ReputationRep:

I think this is me? I'm going into Year 12 in September, woo!

I applied three weeks ago for any WEX/placements at an animal referral hospital, but I am yet to hear back. Does it usually take this long? Or should I take the hint? I've been thinking about emailing to ask, but I'm not sure if that may be considered rude. I'm thinking about asking some other vets close by if they have any WEX available.

Other than that, this summer must be the worst one so far. Although I am officially back in the saddle after my hiatus due to exams, so thats exciting. And theres the small event which is Results Day :ahhhhh:which is now less than a month away.

I hope your summer has been a wonderful one so far!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by katerebecca)
    I think this is me? I'm going into Year 12 in September, woo!
    Sounds about right, welcome

I applied three weeks ago for any WEX/placements at an animal referral hospital, but I am yet to hear back. Does it usually take this long? Or should I take the hint? I've been thinking about emailing to ask, but I'm not sure if that may be considered rude. I'm thinking about asking some other vets close by if they have any WEX available.
    How did you apply, by letter? It can take them a while to get back but I think three weeks is definitely long enough for you to nudge them again via email. S'not rude :nah: . Vet practices just get super busy, is all.

ReputationRep:
    The closer it gets to 2018 the more I realize I'm crazy thinking I can afford graduate entry.
    Every time I try to save money it magically goes poof.

But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it
    Grades and wex first
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Here's some food for thought: no dates have been given yet, but given how quickly Surrey's vet school opened after being announced, there's a good chance that you lot might be the first vets to graduate from Aberystwyth.

Thoughts, anyone? Would you consider applying there? What are your comments in general about a new vet school opening?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Here's some food for thought: no dates have been given yet, but given how quickly Surrey's vet school opened after being announced, there's a good chance that you lot might be the first vets to graduate from Aberystwyth.

Thoughts, anyone? Would you consider applying there? What are your comments in general about a new vet school opening?
    I facepalm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Wut? No no no, what are they doing?

"Farmers' unions have said there are not enough vets to deal with sick farm animals in Wales." -> Another Vet school isn't the solution lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    Wut? No no no, what are they doing?

"Farmers' unions have said there are not enough vets to deal with sick farm animals in Wales." -> Another Vet school isn't the solution lol
    Mmmhmm, it's been in the pipeline almost as long as Surrey has, to my knowledge.

To be honest though, Aber already have amazing facilities and their animal science degree is very highly rated. From a geographical point of view it makes more sense to open a new vet school alllllll the way on the West coast of Wales rather in Surrey, where students are in competition with RVC students for placements.

I'm not happy about a new vet school since it will obviously mean supply outstrips demand, wages go down etc etc, but if a new one was going to open, Aber would have made more sense than Surrey, in my opinion But what do I know

ReputationRep:
    Mmmhmm, it's been in the pipeline almost as long as Surrey has, to my knowledge.

To be honest though, Aber already have amazing facilities and their animal science degree is very highly rated. From a geographical point of view it makes more sense to open a new vet school alllllll the way on the West coast of Wales rather in Surrey, where students are in competition with RVC students for placements.

I'm not happy about a new vet school since it will obviously mean supply outstrips demand, wages go down etc etc, but if a new one was going to open, Aber would have made more sense than Surrey, in my opinion But what do I know
    I completely agree with you on the location thing - Surrey is so close to the RVC, but Wales doesn't have a vet school. I also think it will be very farm animal based, so applicants would have to consider if that's definitely the career path they want.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nox1)
    I completely agree with you on the location thing - Surrey is so close to the RVC, but Wales doesn't have a vet school. I also think it will be very farm animal based, so applicants would have to consider if that's definitely the career path they want.
    Not really. A vet degree is a vet degree. One of the reasons Surrey got the go-ahead was because they said they'd push the lab/pathology/industry aspect but at the end of the day the vast majority of people apply because they want to work in practice. People will take any vet school place they can get.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Aber is also very rural, there are not many vets that are large enough to support the teaching of students.

ABristol and Liverpool both stretch into Wales and are very near to the border indeed.

It's going to pressurise the new grad job market very hard and with Newcastle considering a vet school to....

Furthermore Surrey at times struggled with getting enough teaching staff ready before doors opened. So where another new establishment is going to recruit from, who knows.

Im not in favour of it, but what will be, will be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I'm doing piggies too 😁 Them stables next week. How mUch EMS have you done so far LTC?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I would agree, especially with other vet schools increasing applicant numbers. But we're still pretty reliant on foreign vets so maybe in light of Brexit (ugh) we might need more vets to replace them? The issue is foreign vets seem to mainly work in public health, abbatoirs and government which a lot of uk grads don't seem keen on going into
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Louiseee_)
    I would agree, especially with other vet schools increasing applicant numbers. But we're still pretty reliant on foreign vets so maybe in light of Brexit (ugh) we might need more vets to replace them? The issue is foreign vets seem to mainly work in public health, abbatoirs and government which a lot of uk grads don't seem keen on going into
    You'll understand when you've done vph.

Majority of foreign vets work in public health/ TB testers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You'll understand when you've done vph.

Majority of foreign vets work in public health/ TB testers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah exactly 😕 Can't wait for VPH!
    Also I don't mean this in a horrible way (especially since I only just got accepted into vet school) but if more people are getting accepted maybe more who maybe aren't right for the profession? I think some people need that first rejection/gap year just to think about if it's right for them as a lot realise it isn't
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Louiseee_)
    Yeah exactly 😕 Can't wait for VPH!
    Also I don't mean this in a horrible way (especially since I only just got accepted into vet school) but if more people are getting accepted maybe more who maybe aren't right for the profession? I think some people need that first rejection/gap year just to think about if it's right for them as a lot realise it isn't
    I would tend to agree with you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.