The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
You don't go to uni for that lol

But you can do it through universities, I believe. And like I said, "at least". Some I know have intercalated instead, which sounded like a good idea/system at open days and interviews, but I'll cross that bridge when I hit third year. :redface: Need to start first.
Original post by Anderson2727
Just finished looking and calculating the finances for all of the universities of what it will cost me by the end of it all..... and to be quite honest, it is really quite upseting. It will cost in total (on average) around £100,000 including fees, food, ems, transport etc. The max loan which I can get will then leave me with around £25,000 to £30,000 (again on average as some are WAY bigger if forced to go into max cost). And tbh I really dont know how I am going to be able to afford it all. There are no bursaries I qualify for. My parents can only help so much. I need to get the grades to get in or else there is no point so cant get a job. And I really dont want to take a other loan separate to student loan. Just not sure how realistic it all is. Can any existing students from each of the universities help my worries? :frown:

I take it you're a post grad? It's not ideal but have you thought of studying abroad? It can be a much cheaper option I know three people who graduated from UVM Kosice in Slovakia because they had the same issues.

Also, it is possible to work when doing a vet degree. I'll admit I got extremely lucky with my job as I only have to work 9 hours every three weeks, but it gives me an extra grand a year to live off. It's never affected my academic work yet, but I would say it has occasionally affected my social life
with dairy experience if you only went to afternoon milkings does it still count as a week?
or is each day half a working day so it's 2.5 days?
or would you say 5 afternoons?
or do you count up the hours?
Original post by defenestrated
with dairy experience if you only went to afternoon milkings does it still count as a week?
or is each day half a working day so it's 2.5 days?
or would you say 5 afternoons?
or do you count up the hours?

A lot of the uni's when I applied would say 8 hours makes up a day and 5 days makes up a week and ask you to calculate it in weeks.
So if an afternoon milking was 2 hours thats 0.25 of a day. So 5 days of that would give you 1.25 days. Each university has their own system though most did follow this.
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how many weeks work experience Bristol requires? Really can't find it anywhere sorry.
Original post by Annabelle0700
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how many weeks work experience Bristol requires? Really can't find it anywhere sorry.

Bristol require 1 week vet practice and 1 week animal husbandry minimum.

Here is their admissions statement for more info:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2018/veterinary-science.pdf
Anyone going the Bristol open day on the 9th???

I am hopefully going to the 12.15 talk but I still need to finalise travel plans so I'm not sure!
Bristol require 1 week vet practice and 1 week animal husbandry minimum.

Here is their admissions statement for more info:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2018/veterinary-science.pdf

Great, thank you very much!

Original post by dutchette7
I am hopefully going to the 12.15 talk but I still need to finalise travel plans so I'm not sure!

Guess I might see you guys there! I'm one of the vet students working at the open day on Saturday :smile:
Original post by bristolvet94
Guess I might see you guys there! I'm one of the vet students working at the open day on Saturday :smile:

Awesome!

I am on the 10:15 talk.

Are you going to be at the Langford campus?
Awesome!

I am on the 10:15 talk.

Are you going to be at the Langford campus?

Yeah I will be! We don't tend to have many of the vet students in Bristol itself, since there's not as much to see there. I'll most likely be giving tours of the campus or manning the stands in the canteen area.
If I'm applying for deferred entry at RVC and Notts, and normal entry at Surrey, will Surrey find it weird if I mention my gap year plans in the personal statement (especially considering they do not allow deferred entry at all)? Will it affect my application with them in any way?

I'm going as well, accidentally booked the 9:15 talk so I get to wake up even earlier lol why do I do this to myself
Heey!

Any mature students who are aged 23?

Also anybody else applying to Notts prelim year?

Good luck everyone :h:
Hey everyone, my latest blog post is about writing personal statements which is relevant to you guys! https://wordpress.com/view/cappuccinosandcows.wordpress.com

Hope you find it useful! :h:
Original post by Louiseee_
Hey everyone, my latest blog post is about writing personal statements which is relevant to you guys! https://wordpress.com/view/cappuccinosandcows.wordpress.com

Hope you find it useful! :h:

Really useful! Also I hadn't found your blog before so I know how I'm going to be procrastinating this weekend...

The link didn't work though, it leads you to the log in to the writers area I think, to just read it try this one:

https://cappuccinosandcows.wordpress.com/about/
Original post by Rugrat95
Heey!

Any mature students who are aged 23?

Also anybody else applying to Notts prelim year?

Good luck everyone :h:

I'm 23!

I'm applying to notts standard one and i'm toying with the idea of the gateway there too if I'm eligible (which is very complicated and I don't know if I am or not) but not the prelim as I'm doing bio and chem A levels.
Original post by laurakyna
Really useful! Also I hadn't found your blog before so I know how I'm going to be procrastinating this weekend...

The link didn't work though, it leads you to the log in to the writers area I think, to just read it try this one:

https://cappuccinosandcows.wordpress.com/about/

sorry about that! I haaaaate when it does that!:redface:
Hiya, was just wondering how people found bristol open day? And for anyone who's had experience with bristol or know people who have, what is traveling to langford campus quite often like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending