Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Where do you live? If you can get near Birmingham/Coventry there's a small family run abattoir I went to for a day and they were really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakyna)
    I adored Cambridge and Glasgow. Something about pretty buildings and I'm sold! Also like Nottingham, so I'm just trying to figure out my 4th choice between Liverpool/Surrey/RVC.

I really didn't like Bristol (no reason other than gut feeling when I visited, which was a shame because my dad did chemistry at Bristol back in the stone age and I was really excited to visit) and I can't afford to visit Scotland twice so I'm not going to visit Edinburgh as I visited Glasgow in June.

*What extracurricular stuff!?* I loved studying again too much to have had much of a life this last year oops!

But thank you so much for your reply that was really helpful.
    Glasgow is still forever and always my dream. </3 I still plan to do post-grad there (if I'm not broke lol). If you think you can make the grades, go for it! Although it is especially difficult for English applicants.

I visited Edi on an open day and also interviewed there: I found it a really lovely city, and vet school. The staff were all super friendly. But again, the non-Scottish thing. There were so many English applicants interviewing for so very few places when I went up. It's not to say you won't get in, just that if you're stuck for cash and you're not 100% set on the Scottish unis I would maybe look at applying elsewhere, even if they are stunning and have great programmes. Compared to Glasgow I found Edi a lot more touristy, which makes sense given it is the capital up there. People in general, just out on the streets, were a lot more friendlier in Glasgow, and I found it had more charm - but that's just me, and I'm biased.

RVC and Liverpool are both also really nice. I've visited both of the London campuses, and they're wonderful; if you haven't already, I'd really recommend having a gander, if only for a snoop.

Good luck with everything! I'll try to help with anything else if I can, but AC, LTC & co are much more qualified, haha.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Scitty)
    Glasgow is still forever and always my dream. </3 I still plan to do post-grad there (if I'm not broke lol). If you think you can make the grades, go for it! Although it is especially difficult for English applicants.

I visited Edi on an open day and also interviewed there: I found it a really lovely city, and vet school. The staff were all super friendly. But again, the non-Scottish thing. There were so many English applicants interviewing for so very few places when I went up. It's not to say you won't get in, just that if you're stuck for cash and you're not 100% set on the Scottish unis I would maybe look at applying elsewhere, even if they are stunning and have great programmes. Compared to Glasgow I found Edi a lot more touristy, which makes sense given it is the capital up there. People in general, just out on the streets, were a lot more friendlier in Glasgow, and I found it had more charm - but that's just me, and I'm biased.

RVC and Liverpool are both also really nice. I've visited both of the London campuses, and they're wonderful; if you haven't already, I'd really recommend having a gander, if only for a snoop.

Good luck with everything! I'll try to help with anything else if I can, but AC, LTC & co are much more qualified, haha.
    I would really really really really really really not get hopes up about doing a post grad at your point in the world

5 year course first

You'll change your mind about what you want to do at least thrice lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I would really really really really really really not get hopes up about doing a post grad at your point in the world

5 year course first

You'll change your mind about what you want to do at least thrice lol
    That is true Though a lot of the vets I've met in my region have done at least a CertAVP. Chances are, though, I will get to the end of 6 years and have had enough of it for the time being lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Scitty)
    That is true Though a lot of the vets I've met in my region have done at least a CertAVP. Chances are, though, I will get to the end of 6 years and have had enough of it for the time being lol
    You don't go to uni for that lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You don't go to uni for that lol
    But you can do it through universities, I believe. And like I said, "at least". Some I know have intercalated instead, which sounded like a good idea/system at open days and interviews, but I'll cross that bridge when I hit third year. Need to start first.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anderson2727)
    Just finished looking and calculating the finances for all of the universities of what it will cost me by the end of it all..... and to be quite honest, it is really quite upseting. It will cost in total (on average) around £100,000 including fees, food, ems, transport etc. The max loan which I can get will then leave me with around £25,000 to £30,000 (again on average as some are WAY bigger if forced to go into max cost). And tbh I really dont know how I am going to be able to afford it all. There are no bursaries I qualify for. My parents can only help so much. I need to get the grades to get in or else there is no point so cant get a job. And I really dont want to take a other loan separate to student loan. Just not sure how realistic it all is. Can any existing students from each of the universities help my worries?
    I take it you're a post grad? It's not ideal but have you thought of studying abroad? It can be a much cheaper option I know three people who graduated from UVM Kosice in Slovakia because they had the same issues.

Also, it is possible to work when doing a vet degree. I'll admit I got extremely lucky with my job as I only have to work 9 hours every three weeks, but it gives me an extra grand a year to live off. It's never affected my academic work yet, but I would say it has occasionally affected my social life

ReputationRep:
    with dairy experience if you only went to afternoon milkings does it still count as a week?
    or is each day half a working day so it's 2.5 days?
    or would you say 5 afternoons?
    or do you count up the hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    with dairy experience if you only went to afternoon milkings does it still count as a week?
    or is each day half a working day so it's 2.5 days?
    or would you say 5 afternoons?
    or do you count up the hours?
    A lot of the uni's when I applied would say 8 hours makes up a day and 5 days makes up a week and ask you to calculate it in weeks.
    So if an afternoon milking was 2 hours thats 0.25 of a day. So 5 days of that would give you 1.25 days. Each university has their own system though most did follow this.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how many weeks work experience Bristol requires? Really can't find it anywhere sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annabelle0700)
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how many weeks work experience Bristol requires? Really can't find it anywhere sorry.
    Bristol require 1 week vet practice and 1 week animal husbandry minimum.

Here is their admissions statement for more info:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...ry-science.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going the Bristol open day on the 9th???

ReputationRep:
    I am hopefully going to the 12.15 talk but I still need to finalise travel plans so I'm not sure!

ReputationRep:
    Bristol require 1 week vet practice and 1 week animal husbandry minimum.

Here is their admissions statement for more info:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...ry-science.pdf
    Great, thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dutchette7)
    I am hopefully going to the 12.15 talk but I still need to finalise travel plans so I'm not sure!
    Guess I might see you guys there! I'm one of the vet students working at the open day on Saturday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bristolvet94)
    Guess I might see you guys there! I'm one of the vet students working at the open day on Saturday
    Awesome!

I am on the 10:15 talk.

Are you going to be at the Langford campus?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome!

I am on the 10:15 talk.

Are you going to be at the Langford campus?
    Yeah I will be! We don't tend to have many of the vet students in Bristol itself, since there's not as much to see there. I'll most likely be giving tours of the campus or manning the stands in the canteen area.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm applying for deferred entry at RVC and Notts, and normal entry at Surrey, will Surrey find it weird if I mention my gap year plans in the personal statement (especially considering they do not allow deferred entry at all)? Will it affect my application with them in any way?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going as well, accidentally booked the 9:15 talk so I get to wake up even earlier lol why do I do this to myself

ReputationRep:
    Heey!

Any mature students who are aged 23?

Also anybody else applying to Notts prelim year?

Good luck everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.