Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anderson2727)
    Where else are you applying?
    Not 100% sure yet. Definitely Bristol, Rvc and probably Liverpool. Not sure between Surrey and Nottingham but I'm leaning towards Surrey. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pacb10)
    Not 100% sure yet. Definitely Bristol, Rvc and probably Liverpool. Not sure between Surrey and Nottingham but I'm leaning towards Surrey. How about you?
    I have applied to Nottingham, Cambridge, Liverpool and Bristol! I am getting very nervous about it all, starting to get really unsure about what my order of preference is. I thought I knew but now there are pros and cons to them all!

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to Nottingham, Cambridge, Liverpool and Bristol! I am getting very nervous about it all, starting to get really unsure about what my order of preference is. I thought I knew but now there are pros and cons to them all!
    Nice! How much work experience do you have?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a 2018 applicant but I guess you guys are the best people to ask! I have two weeks small animal vet work experience arranged for October and next May, however I cannot find any large animal vets near me, and my mum won't let me stay anywhere else. Is large animal vet experience absolutely necessary providing all my other experience is acceptable?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pacb10)
    Nice! How much work experience do you have?
    I have about 18 weeks in total. This includes my half day a week at my local small animal veterinary surgery for over a year, monthly wildlife and rescue centre, lambing, vet labs, dairy, beef, zoo, other small animal vets, mixed vets, day with an equine vet, stables/riding school. I think that is roughly everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren9401)
    I'm not a 2018 applicant but I guess you guys are the best people to ask! I have two weeks small animal vet work experience arranged for October and next May, however I cannot find any large animal vets near me, and my mum won't let me stay anywhere else. Is large animal vet experience absolutely necessary providing all my other experience is acceptable?
    From the ones that I have applied to (Nottingham, Cambridge, Bristol and Liverpool), it is certainly possible to get through the work experience stage without any large vet practices. I know with Liverpool, if you don't have large or mixed, a second small animal vet practice is expected. If it is possible to get large animal vets, I would highly recommend it but if not due to not being close by or factors like that then it is perfectly acceptable to not have any. Just make sure you have done sufficient animal husbandry of livestock and large animals (ie horses).

I know for my mixed/large practice I had to travel 30 miles away each day, luckily my brother had the time to take me!

ReputationRep:
    From the ones that I have applied to (Nottingham, Cambridge, Bristol and Liverpool), it is certainly possible to get through the work experience stage without any large vet practices. I know with Liverpool, if you don't have large or mixed, a second small animal vet practice is expected. If it is possible to get large animal vets, I would highly recommend it but if not due to not being close by or factors like that then it is perfectly acceptable to not have any. Just make sure you have done sufficient animal husbandry of livestock and large animals (ie horses).

I know for my mixed/large practice I had to travel 30 miles away each day, luckily my brother had the time to take me!
    Okay thank you so much! I am hoping to apply to them four aswell- Nottingham would be the best as it's the closest to me now! Fingers crossed it will be okay for when I apply next October!

I only have my mum to take me and she's at work everyday so I would have no way of getting anywhere far away unfortunately!! I just thought- one of my practices is a mixed vets however they said there's no garuntee that I will be able to gain experience with the large animal side- if I even get half a day out with livestock will that still count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren9401)
    Okay thank you so much! I am hoping to apply to them four aswell- Nottingham would be the best as it's the closest to me now! Fingers crossed it will be okay for when I apply next October!

I only have my mum to take me and she's at work everyday so I would have no way of getting anywhere far away unfortunately!! I just thought- one of my practices is a mixed vets however they said there's no garuntee that I will be able to gain experience with the large animal side- if I even get half a day out with livestock will that still count?
    Good luck with your future application!

The half day livestock as part of the mixed practice would still count. (Bearing in mind a day is 8 hours sobhalf day is 4 hours). Liverpool let you specify how many days at the mixed practice were small and large. So ideally it would be better to get 1 day as large/livestock - see if you could do 2 days where you spend half a day in the livestock side of the practice.

ReputationRep:
    How does predicted grades work for veterinary. Predicted BBB and considering applying to Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey.

ReputationRep:
    If your predicted grades aren't good enough then I suspect you won't make it through to interview. Edinburgh require AAA, Nottingham and Surrey AAB. Can you get your teachers to up your predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmagic)
    If your predicted grades aren't good enough then I suspect you won't make it through to interview. Edinburgh require AAA, Nottingham and Surrey AAB. Can you get your teachers to up your predictions?
    Don't think I will be able to

ReputationRep:
    That's a shame. You might be best to try and achieve at least AAB, take a gap year and apply with your actual grades.

(Original post by VictiniCup)
    Don't think I will be able to

ReputationRep:
    It ridiculously annoying

ReputationRep:
    Don't think my college have any idea on how to work with them, since they got rid of AS

ReputationRep:
    Also, anyone know dublin's entry requirements

ReputationRep:
    I think they use a points system, it seems quite complicated and obviously the fees are in Euros (for which the current exchange rate isn't good) but this might help you http://www.ucd.ie/registry/admissions/ER_Alevel.html

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Dublin and it is the most complicated application ever! They also have the highest grade requirements.

ReputationRep:
    How seriously do the university's take GCSE exam grades? A friend of mine got Cs in double science, one A and a couple of Bs, so she was just wondering how likely she would be to get a place anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of them (particulary the RVC and bristol I know) accept GCSE retakes, so would she consider doing that as uni's do tend to take into account GCSE grades (Bristol this year for example base 20% of what they look for is based on GCSE grades)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where I can find the statistics for each of the veterinary universities for the percentage which passed the degree with merit or honours ???

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.