Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anderson2727)
    Does anyone know where I can find the statistics for each of the veterinary universities for the percentage which passed the degree with merit or honours ???
    It was on unistats or one of those websites because I remember seeing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luberry)
    It was on unistats or one of those websites because I remember seeing it?
    Thank you so much! I have been looking everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictiniCup)
    How does predicted grades work for veterinary. Predicted BBB and considering applying to Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey.
    Most Vet Schools want predictions that match the required grades - they dont need to be kind as they will get flooded with good applications at AAA and above. Some may accept one grade below (AAB for an AAA course) but wont go any lower than that - you'll just a straight rejection.

Worth looking to see if you are eligible for a lower 'contextual' offer at any of those Unis (ie. you go to a low performing school) or looking at a Foundation or Gateway year - just check you meet whatever the specific eligibility criteria is set by each Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictiniCup)
    How does predicted grades work for veterinary. Predicted BBB and considering applying to Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey.
    They use your predicted grades to choose whether to interview you or not. If they aren't high enough they'll likely reject you before interview.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you look at each university's entry requirements it will state if they have any required GCSE grades and if they do what subject and grade. They seem to vary quite a lot

(Original post by CupOfCaramel)
    How seriously do the university's take GCSE exam grades? A friend of mine got Cs in double science, one A and a couple of Bs, so she was just wondering how likely she would be to get a place anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CupOfCaramel)
    How seriously do the university's take GCSE exam grades? A friend of mine got Cs in double science, one A and a couple of Bs, so she was just wondering how likely she would be to get a place anywhere?
    They take them very seriously, unless there are extenuating circumstances as to why an applicant doesn't meet the required grades. Each university has different requirements for GCSE however C's in double science will not meet the requirements unfortunately. Most universities require around 5 A's at GCSE, and won't look at an applicant without the required results at GCSE im afraid. She would be very unlikely to get an offer with those grades. She could always look at the gateway courses, year 0 at liverpool for example if she is eligible for them but obviously it requires on her circumstances. Her best bet would be to resit her GCSE's in order to meet the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    They take them very seriously, unless there are extenuating circumstances as to why an applicant doesn't meet the required grades. .
    Even with extenuating circumstances they would still expect you to retake GCSE Maths and/or English alongside your A levels to get the required grade.

PS. Bristol only wants GCSE Maths and English CC for Vet : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...inary-science/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Even with extenuating circumstances they would still expect you to retake GCSE Maths and/or English alongside your A levels to get the required grade.

PS. Bristol only wants GCSE Maths and English CC for Vet : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...inary-science/
    Not necessarily. With a doctors letter most will waive, bar Surrey who don't budge at all regardless of the students circumstances.

(I know - I've been there and applied in the position and was told to send a doctors letter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Most Vet Schools want predictions that match the required grades - they dont need to be kind as they will get flooded with good applications at AAA and above. Some may accept one grade below (AAB for an AAA course) but wont go any lower than that - you'll just a straight rejection.

Worth looking to see if you are eligible for a lower 'contextual' offer at any of those Unis (ie. you go to a low performing school) or looking at a Foundation or Gateway year - just check you meet whatever the specific eligibility criteria is set by each Uni.
    I meet none of the criteria for foundation gateway courses.

ReputationRep:
    Got my unconditional through on UCAS now so it's all safely confirmed.

Little Tail Chaser are personal statement submissions still open? I can add mine to the library now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scitty)

Little Tail Chaser are personal statement submissions still open? I can add mine to the library now.
    Congratulations! Fantastic news. How much work experience have you done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maca_17)
    Congratulations! Fantastic news. How much work experience have you done?
    Crumbs, let's see....

3 weeks SA/LA
    1 week SA
    6 months with the PDSA as a kennel assistant/ACA
    8? weeks dairy
    Have been working at least once a week on a sheep & horse farm (which used to have beef) since Feb 2014
    5 weeks wildlife & public health on a game reserve
    1 day abattoir
    1 day slaughterman

Probably some other WEX I've missed off, but that's the main stuff. Bear in mind this has been spread out over several years - I've been studying A Levels for a looooong time. I'm going to go back and do some more in mixed practice and work in some labs before I go off, just to keep my head in the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scitty)
    Congrats!!

ReputationRep:
    Where has/is everybody applying to?

I have sent my application in applying for undergraduate entry at Bristol, Cambridge, Liverpool and Nottingham (in alphabetical order so no bias :P).

Starting to get really nervous and anxious!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was just posting a general question and I wasn't quite sure whether to post this on the 2017 or 2018 thread but seeing as I'm reapplying this year I thought it'd make sense to post here.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew whether the universities like to have a completely new personal statement when reapplying (This will be my second application) or can I use the same one I used last year? I did manage to get a couple of offers last year but I slipped up on the chemistry so I got AAB instead of AAA (resitting the chemistry this year).
    The problem is that I'm reapplying to three of the same unis (mainly Surrey as the problem because they still look at personal statements) so they might see that I've used the same one.

Any advice on what to do? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaff11)
    Hi! I was just posting a general question and I wasn't quite sure whether to post this on the 2017 or 2018 thread but seeing as I'm reapplying this year I thought it'd make sense to post here.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew whether the universities like to have a completely new personal statement when reapplying (This will be my second application) or can I use the same one I used last year? I did manage to get a couple of offers last year but I slipped up on the chemistry so I got AAB instead of AAA (resitting the chemistry this year).
    The problem is that I'm reapplying to three of the same unis (mainly Surrey as the problem because they still look at personal statements) so they might see that I've used the same one.

Any advice on what to do? Thank you!
    Hi, I'm in pretty much the same position as you! I'm reapplying to 3 of the same unis that I applied to last year (Bristol, RVC and Liverpool). I've changed my original personal statement to include extra work experience I've done, plus what I'm doing in my gap year and a few extra things like books/online courses! It's similar to what I wrote last year because I've spoken about some of the same cases but I've tried to change it as much as I can (including cutting some stuff out from last years)! I didn't have that much more to add but I'd say 50% of it is new and the stuff that was the same I've tried to write it in a different way! I've also completely changed my intro and conclusion

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply to Nottingham this year (and apply for Surrey, Liverpool, and Edinburgh too) and I was wondering if you know what the policy is for resits at A-level? Is it one per subject, one per module in a subject, or none at all? If you happen to know for the other three that would be great thanks!
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I'm a 4th year vet student at Nottingham I'll be long qualified by the time you guys even apply :zomg: I'm happy to answer any questions you have

ReputationRep:
    Should be applying this week

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying biology, chemistry and maths. My teachers have all advised me to talk about how these subjects link into veterinary medicine in my introduction. But I have no idea what to talk about specifically? Last bit in stuck on 😭 any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idree5)
    I'm currently studying biology, chemistry and maths. My teachers have all advised me to talk about how these subjects link into veterinary medicine in my introduction. But I have no idea what to talk about specifically? Last bit in stuck on 😭 any ideas?
    It can depend on the uni for what they like and want to see. Where are you thinking of applying?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.