Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnartey)
    Yeah! Mines at 12 when’s yours?
    Starts at half 2, will need to be there for 2

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any more about the timings of an interview day at RVC? How long approximately will the formal interview section take? I'm just wondering whether it's worth bringing anyone with me if they are going to be sitting waiting for 4 hours...

Thanks in advance! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domiash)
    Does anyone know any more about the timings of an interview day at RVC? How long approximately will the formal interview section take? I'm just wondering whether it's worth bringing anyone with me if they are going to be sitting waiting for 4 hours...

All I know is that they've said it should last about 3.5 hours, they haven't disclosed any more details about the actual structure of the day. Sorry not to be of any further help. When's your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domiash)

They say parents are allowed to come on the tour and to the talk. I would assume the actual interview part won’t take longer than an hour. When’s your interview there?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yep that's all I've managed to find out too. Just would be helpful to know a bit more about the structure/ordering of the day. Nevermind, I'm sure it'll work fine once we're there! I'm in at 9am tomorrow eeek.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey guys! So don't tell anyone, but you're some of my fave students here on TSR. I love how you're all so supportive of each other :loveduck: I always love popping by this forum because I know it's going to be filled with optimism!

But enough of the warm and fuzzy stuff!

I thought this might be interesting for you as prospective vet students.

I'm sure you've seen all the uproar regarding the Animal Sentience clause (aka New Clause 30) in the EU Withdrawal Bill, which has generated loads of interest on social media. Being an animal lover myself, I couldn't bear the thought of animals losing out on their rights (as purported on social media), so I emailed Anne Milton, the MP for Guildford. This is the response I received:

Dear Ashley

Many people have contacted me about animal sentience and I felt I should set the record straight. I understand there has been a lot of false and inaccurate information on social media, for which I know many people have apologised.

As the Prime Minister has previously set out, the Government wants to make animal welfare a priority. The vote last week, therefore, on New Clause 30 was not a vote against the idea that animals are sentient and feel pain, or that the protection of animals should be weakened - this is simply not true. Ministers explained in the debate that it is quite clear to the Government that animals are indeed sentient beings and that the Government continues to work hard to reduce the risk of harm to animals.

The vote on New Clause 30 was a vote against a faulty amendment, which would not have provided appropriate protection for animals, not a vote against animal being sentient and able to feel pain.

The Prime Minister has been clear that the Government will strengthen our animal welfare rules, including making the necessary changes to UK law so that animal sentience is fully recognised after we leave the EU. However, the Withdrawal Bill is clearly not the right place to do this and further legislation will be required.

The current EU instrument - Article 13 - does not have a direct effect in law and it has not stopped practices across the EU which are cruel and painful to animals. The UK Government, in contrast, and without any EU input, has already set out plans to improve animal welfare. These plans include: making CCTV mandatory in slaughterhouses - going beyond any EU rule; jailing animal abusers for up to 5 years; introducing a more comprehensive ban on the ivory trade than anywhere else in Europe; banning microbeads which harm marine animals, a policy that has been called "the strongest in the world" by Greenpeace; and creating a new independent body to uphold environmental standards.

EU rules currently prevent us from restricting or banning the live export of animals for slaughter and restrict us from cracking down on puppy smuggling or banning the import of puppies under 6 months. Article 13 has not stopped any of these practices. However, leaving the EU gives us a chance to do even more to strengthen our animal welfare laws, and I know the Government will say more about these areas next year.

Thank you again for giving me the chance to set the record straight. If there is ever anything that I can do to help please do get in touch.

My best wishes,
    Anne

Just thought that this would help any of you that are thinking about bringing up animal sentience in your interviews, as it's important to do your research and be fully informed before forming an opinion on such topics. The ability to give unbiased analysis based on fact is a skill you'll need to have when you're at uni when writing up assignments and your dissertation, and when you work as a practising vet you will need to have all the relevant info to hand to make decisions.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Vet School admissions or interview process, but if I was an interviewer I'd be impressed with the fact that a student had actually done their research into the whole issue rather than just take social media campaigns at face value. Might be a good one to remember for when you do your interviews! Maybe you could look up the wording of New Clause 30 in comparison to the one that already exists in EU Law (it's called Article 13) and see how they compare? Draw comparisons and differences between them and decide which would best protect animals' welfare? Just some ideas, I'm sure you clever lot will be able to come up with even better things!

Hope this helps,
    Ashley x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canine Copycat)
    I haven't heard of anyone being rejected from Bristol without having completed a questionnaire...though that doesn't mean it hasn't happened . Having said that their website states that they are judging the applications 20% GCSE grades, 30% A level predictions and 50% this form we haven't got, so for them to reject someone with only 50% of their application essentially would be pretty silly...!

They also say that they are not taking personal statements into account this year so without getting more information from the questionnaire for all they know Ive got 6 A*s in all humanities subjects....which, impressive as it is...wouldn't make me a great vet student!

Hi Canine,

You'll only be sent the WEPAPA form if you pass academic scoring, otherwise there'd be a lot of obsolete forms to read.
    Academic scoring is the first thing that is done when UCAS send through the apps and it is quite straightforward to do with standard quals - Bristol looks at your best eight GCSEs including the Maths and English at CC requirement and the A levels of course have to be in the required subjects.
    If you pass this part, then the WEPAPA form is sent out. So, if you do have 6 A* in your humanities GCSEs (plus Maths and English), as long as you also fulfil the A level subject/grade requirements, you should expect to receive the WEPAPA form.
    The WEPAPA form is designed to collect a summary of your work experience plus more in-depth info than would appear on Personal Statements which, to be fair, tend to become very generic when 1500+ applicants are trying to convey the same information in 4000 characters.

ReputationRep:
    On waiting list for Surrey, just got an email :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    Dw about it too much, they obviously liked you enough for interview and not a rejection

ReputationRep:
    JUST GOT A SURREY OFFER cannot believe it !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    There's still every chance you'll get a place, so try not to worry! Also, it's not a no which is also good

ReputationRep:
    Just got an RVC interview!! Can't actually believe it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redonks)
    Well done 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Great news

ReputationRep:
    Massive congrats!! Were you notified via email? well done!!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats !!! Does anybody already received rejection from RVC ?? I am really getting nervous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redonks)
    YOU WERE NEVER GONNA NOT GET ONE UR AMAZIN ❤️❤️

Aaaaand I’ve still not got an RVC interview :/ I changed my application to a defer a couple of weeks ago so I may have been thrown to the bottom of the pile again, but I hope they didn’t forget me entirely :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r33ves1986)
    Yay! Great news
    Thank You!!
    (Original post by Luci_00)
    Massive congrats!! Were you notified via email? well done!!
    Thanks!! Yes I got an email an then UCAS updated like an hour after that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eliseeee)
    Congrats !!! Does anybody already received rejection from RVC ?? I am really getting nervous
    Thank You!
    And yes, along with my interview invite for the 5 year course I also got a rejection for the accelerated entry.

(Original post by brrrigid)
    YOU WERE NEVER GONNA NOT GET ONE UR AMAZIN ❤️❤️

Aaaaand I’ve still not got an RVC interview :/ I changed my application to a defer a couple of weeks ago so I may have been thrown to the bottom of the pile again, but I hope they didn’t forget me entirely :/
    I also applied for a deferred entry and I just got invited for an interview. Try not to worry, they will get back to you eventually!

ReputationRep:
    congrats! when is it for??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.