Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm half way through my BA primary education course and we now have to decide on a dissertation title and I don't know what to do. I am certain I want it to be English based and have loads of ideas, I just can't decide.
    I am going to Peru to teach in the summer and so it would be interesting to compare the learning of reading of Peruvian children with EAL children in the UK, however, the contexts would not really be comparable so I'm a bit stuck.
    I would love to investigate what makes reading scheme books effective for teaching children to read such as systematic phonics and contextual cues and/ or look at the attitudes of children towards reading schemes, such as whether they enjoyed reading books from reading schemes or whether they were just trying to go through all the books and levels.
    I would also like to investigate children’s transition from the foundation stage to key stage one and their attitudes towards the increased amount of writing.
    The issue of the new phonics test is also interesting, I would like to look at the views of parents, teachers and children of reading pseudo words and the phonics test. Alternatively, I could just look at whether children learning pseudo words is the most effective way to test phonic ability.
    What do any teachers think would be the best idea?
    Sorry for the very long post. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.