Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Real Friends)
    So what's the purpose of what you do? Both the purpose on paper, and in reality?
    To teach morality through allegory is the "on paper">

In reality, we do some plays to teach charitable work, but its mostly just a social club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you mean, how would a Freemason identify another freemason, or how would a non-freemason identify a freemason?

How would a non-freemason identify a freemason. By the way do you have a religion?

ReputationRep:
    250,000 in England....
    150,000 for Scotland, N Ireland and ROI....
    Not sure about wales....

Started with masonry (i.e. stone cutters) in Europe, who wanted to protect their trade, and ensure they recieved fair wage for their skills.
    So it was essentially a trade union?

(Original post by In2u)
    How would a non-freemason identify a freemason. By the way do you have a religion?
    Well, the NFM could identify the FM by the ring....or if the FM told them...other than that, no other way

No, absolutely not. WE are NOT a religion.

(Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
    So it was essentially a trade union?
    Honestly? I'd say more of a cartel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2u)
    You can be any religion in the FM. (although it's packed to the rafters with Jews). There are tons of atheists and agnostics too but in theory you're supposed to believe in a "Divine Architect" of some sort (I think that's what they call it)

I'm sure TSR's very own resident Master of the Lodge will be along to affirm or correct me in just a few short seconds.

ReputationRep:
    Because I am proud to belong? Because it is my right? Because we are not secretive at all, we clearly advertise our symbols, you can find our websites, even find us in the phone book?
    why are you Anonymous then?
    or are you trolling?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    To teach morality through allegory is the "on paper">

In reality, we do some plays to teach charitable work, but its mostly just a social club.
    So you like the social environment?

(Original post by In2u)
    Well, where I am from, it is over-representated by Protestants. But In Italy and Spain Roman Catholics.

We take all religions, the only thing we require is that we believe in a "Supreme Being." If you don't believe in "a" god, then you can't join. Your god could be Allah, Buddha, pikachu, the cookie monster, doesn't matter. But atheists won't get in.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the NFM could identify the FM by the ring....or if the FM told them...other than that, no other way

No, absolutely not. WE are NOT a religion.
    I can identify a FM by expressions he uses (your earlier use of "caution" stands out like a sore thumb) and I know what various masonic grips feel like. This stuff is well out of the bag and readily available in books or online if anybody is interested enough in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    You can be any religion in the FM. (although it's packed to the rafters with Jews). There are tons of atheists and agnostics too but in theory you're supposed to believe in a "Divine Architect" of some sort (I think that's what they call it)

I'm sure TSR's very own resident Master of the Lodge will be along to affirm or correct me in just a few short seconds.
    I don't know much about them. But I always heard they worshipped the devil?

(Original post by Ishea16)
    why are you Anonymous then?
    or are you trolling?:confused:
    Because of some of the pissy posts on here, and sadly, there are some ignorant people who assume we are child molesters/a cult etc etc :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    I don't know much about them. But I always heard they worshipped the devil?
    Don't be obtuse.

(Original post by Real Friends)
    So you like the social environment?
    I do, yeah

ReputationRep:
    Well, where I am from, it is over-representated by Protestants. But In Italy and Spain Roman Catholics.

We take all religions, the only thing we require is that we believe in a "Supreme Being." If you don't believe in "a" god, then you can't join. Your god could be Allah, Buddha, pikachu, the cookie monster, doesn't matter. But atheists won't get in.
    Wow. How did you became a freemason?

ReputationRep:
    I do, yeah
    Could you expand on what it's like/what do you do in that environment?

(Original post by In2u)
    A family friend was in it. I asked him if I could join. The next day, took me to the temple for an interview, then a month later, got my 1st degree. As I said, its really not that big a deal joining, actually, in England they have masons at the campuses to try and get guys to join because they are so eager for young members

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2u)
    Ask one of them to invite you in. You need a proposer and a seconder if I recall.

ReputationRep:
    A family friend was in it. I asked him if I could join. The next day, took me to the temple for an interview, then a month later, got my 1st degree. As I said, its really not that big a deal joining, actually, in England they have masons at the campuses to try and get guys to join because they are so eager for young members
    Because it's dying a death. Young people aren't interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Don't be obtuse.
    Cheers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.