Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a Freemason, wear a Masonic ring on my hand.

I am in my 20's, but wondered what people's general conceptions/thoughts/attitudes were towards us?
    i am in the demolay as i work for myself and knew several higher rank member of my lodge so i got in easily and but i know i am so to get my first proper pin when i rise up next month in to the main-masonic rank

ReputationRep:
    To gauge people's genuine reactions, they may conceal it or be biased, if they knew my identity.
    That's just weird.

My Grandad was a Mason, and all the Shriners are masons and they run around with cool little hats and tiny cars and raise money for childrens' hospitals.

The ritualism and the religious aspects aside, you don't need to be secretive. We're not going to ask about the rituals because all that stuff can be found online if someone wanted to look(And disrespected the Masons' request that such things be kept sacred).

Be like the Shriners. Put on your cool fez and let your affiliation fly.

ReputationRep:
    my dads a freemason, all he seems to do when he goes out with his freemason buddies is get pissed and come back home at 3am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternaforest)
    my dads a freemason, all he seems to do when he goes out with his freemason buddies is get pissed and come back home at 3am
    its charitable work:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    its charitable work:rolleyes:
    well i dont like it he also wears this masonic apron thing around the house and some masonic gloves. It's dead embarrassing so i dont have friends come round ever
    so if anyone tells me they're a freemason i'd probably shy away from them

ReputationRep:
    My attitude is vaguely negative. This is partly because of their long history of secrecy and the associated suspicion that free masons gave other free masons jobs, help and assistance to the detriment of others. At times this may well have overstepped the line into illegality - there have always been a lot of Police who were free masons and historically there has been a lot of publicity about the effects this has had. Any undue favour or leniency they have ever given fellow masons is wrong and quite probably illegal. I also find anyone dressing up in odd garments and taking part in arcane rituals a bit weird -but that only puts free masons with a lot of religions. They're welcome to do it if they like, but I must be equally welcome to think the less of them for it.

(Original post by Compost)
    My attitude is vaguely negative. This is partly because of their long history of secrecy and the associated suspicion that free masons gave other free masons jobs, help and assistance to the detriment of others. At times this may well have overstepped the line into illegality - there have always been a lot of Police who were free masons and historically there has been a lot of publicity about the effects this has had. Any undue favour or leniency they have ever given fellow masons is wrong and quite probably illegal. I also find anyone dressing up in odd garments and taking part in arcane rituals a bit weird -but that only puts free masons with a lot of religions. They're welcome to do it if they like, but I must be equally welcome to think the less of them for it.
    And on behalf of those corrupt members, I apologise profusely.

If you are desiring to submit a formal complaint regarding improper conduct on behalf of a member, rest assured, I will give you the relevant details, and the issue will be dealt with seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I personally enjoy dressing up and participating in rituals.

ReputationRep:
    And on behalf of those corrupt members, I apologise profusely.

If you are desiring to submit a formal complaint regarding improper conduct on behalf of a member, rest assured, I will give you the relevant details, and the issue will be dealt with seriously.
    How do you feel about the Tennessee Grand Lodge which has been in the news this week.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...bers/82209272/

Do you have an opinion?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.