Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to avoid ending up on the streets? Watch

ReputationRep:
    After seeing Ross Kemps documentary about poverty and homeless in the UK, I'm wondering, how do they end up like that?

Is it due to bad backgrounds/personal lives, addictions and lack of qualifications, things like that ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's usually due to a mixture of issues I think. They may have problems with things like drugs, lack of education, which may lead to crime, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Some are normal people who lose their jobs and don't have friends or family to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's usually due to a mixture of issues I think. They may have problems with things like drugs, lack of education, which may lead to crime, etc.
    Often it's the other way around. People turn to drink and drugs to cope with being on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    They are unable to supply the skills the labour market of the day demands.

ReputationRep:
    Bad luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can't end up on the streets in this country unless you refuse social support like council houses and benefits.

If you refuse this support, you may have mental health issues and end up on the streets

ReputationRep:
    At least 10% are ex forces

http://owwsoldiers.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Schizophrenics who become alcoholics. Also when I lived in cambridge the homeless were drug dealers with places to live.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by CreamyChocolate)
    You can't end up on the streets in this country unless you refuse social support like council houses and benefits.

If you refuse this support, you may have mental health issues and end up on the streets
    The waiting list for council housing is huge. Especially if you're single and have no children.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    mental illness, family breakdown, divorce, funning away from home, business collapse/lose job, addiction. I doubt any of them planned to be homeless, but soemtimes life happens.

ReputationRep:
    The ignorance displayed by this thread shows just how privileged (doesn't that word make you shudder?) most TSRians and their families are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    At least 10% are ex forces

http://owwsoldiers.co.uk/
    Disgraceful treatment by the government.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody cares.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd be surprised at how many are thrown out by their families for religious differences, homophobia, racism etc.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What surpises me is why dont people just google it and see why this happens? Finding out and informing yoursel;f is much better than spouting ill informed tosh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.