Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would really like to work after I complete my GCSEs so during the summer holidays. I will be turning 16 in 1 month time. I would like to work somewhere like Waitrose, John Lewis, Lidl etc.
    Im confused whether I can apply now since im still 15 and how do I apply? Also do you suggest any jobs I can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    I would really like to work after I complete my GCSEs so during the summer holidays. I will be turning 16 in 1 month time. I would like to work somewhere like Waitrose, John Lewis, Lidl etc.
    Im confused whether I can apply now since im still 15 and how do I apply? Also do you suggest any jobs I can do?
    Some places ask for you to be 16 when you apply. I know at Sainsbury's as long as you're 16 when you start the job they're okay.

You need to be careful when looking at jobs. If you're going to do A-levels, you shouldn't really be doing more than 10hrs per week. Some places may not allow you to take time off during exams, and so you'd have to quit.

Also when they say how many hours you have to do, it can be a 'minimum'. A friend who worked at Costa was told they'd work 8hrs per week yet ended up working 3 hours every day after school and 5 hours during the weekend. Obviously it's died down now, but he was on the brink of leaving sixth form and was forced to drop a subject.

My advice is get a zero hour contract. You most likely don't need the money and having a job just gives you some money to do stuff at 16/17, and so even if you work 3 hours one week and 5 hours the next week at £4ph - that's still £32.

ReputationRep:
    places like lidl you cant even apply because you cant serve things like alcohol under 18. get applying to mcdonalds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Some places ask for you to be 16 when you apply. I know at Sainsbury's as long as you're 16 when you start the job they're okay.

You need to be careful when looking at jobs. If you're going to do A-levels, you shouldn't really be doing more than 10hrs per week. Some places may not allow you to take time off during exams, and so you'd have to quit.

Also when they say how many hours you have to do, it can be a 'minimum'. A friend who worked at Costa was told they'd work 8hrs per week yet ended up working 3 hours every day after school and 5 hours during the weekend. Obviously it's died down now, but he was on the brink of leaving sixth form and was forced to drop a subject.

My advice is get a zero hour contract. You most likely don't need the money and having a job just gives you some money to do stuff at 16/17, and so even if you work 3 hours one week and 5 hours the next week at £4ph - that's still £32.
    Im only working for the summer so im looking for summer jobs. Thanks for the tip though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    places like lidl you cant even apply because you cant serve things like alcohol under 18. get applying to mcdonalds
    No thanks haha i dont want to work in restaurants

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im only working for the summer so im looking for summer jobs. Thanks for the tip though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what a lot of people say and because they don't want to stop getting money they just carry on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    That's what a lot of people say and because they don't want to stop getting money they just carry on!
    Ok well im not like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No thanks haha i dont want to work in restaurants

Posted from TSR Mobile
    beggars cant be choosers, good luck finding anywhere then! youre too young to serve restricted products so youre going to have to deal with it and work your way up

ReputationRep:
    beggars cant be choosers, good luck finding anywhere then! youre too young to serve restricted products so youre going to have to deal with it and work your way up
    Not really. I know quite a few 16 year olds that have started working in shops like John Lewis, River Island etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I know quite a few 16 year olds that have started working in shops like John Lewis, River Island etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said restricted items, child

ReputationRep:
    I said restricted items, child
    Yh but u said i have to 'deal with it'. U were talking about me dealing with the fact I have to work in McDonalds and then work my way to the top. I said not really as I know friends who have started in waitrose etc. I was not talking about restricted items.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.