Turn on thread page Beta

How do you feel about "older people'' adding you on social media? watch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have enough space in the title to be more specific.

Anyway in the last month 2 of my friends parents have added me on Facebook. I thought it would be rude to reject the first one since I am quite close to her daughter and recently attended one of their family gatherings. (my friend found out and has a huge issue with it, but that's another story).

A couple days later another friends mum added me, I occasionally go over to theirs to catch up, so again I felt like it was rude not to accept the request.

Today I received a friend request from my old manager. I haven't seen him in years, we had a good working relationship and everything. I just don't see why I need to have him on Facebook. I don't want to close the door incase he has a job offer for me or something though.

To be honest I don't have much on my Facebook to look at. I use my Facebook to occasionally vent about random musings, keep in contact with my family and to be nosey. It just feels weird having all these older people on my page.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me if I get along with them but it is creepy when you barely know each other

ReputationRep:
    depends how well i know them then ad have to behave more on social media :lol:

I think it depends on how much more older the person is. I don't have social media, but if it was someone like nucdev or Ethereal World, I really wouldn't mind to be honest - they're only a few years older to me.

But, if you don't want to accept someone, don't. You may feel bad for a bit - but that's with anyone I guess, and if somebody asks, just say that you only really wanted to add close family and friends. I know what you mean though. It's like you don't want anybody to keep poking into your business because they can see whatever you post.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have loads of aunts and uncles from the Sri Lankan community adding me on Facebook. I accept their friend requests but put them on limited and restricted profile, so they can hardly see anything, mwahahahaa

ReputationRep:
    i personally dont care but i get annoyed when you post things which they find inapporiate

ReputationRep:
    I think people are perfectly at liberty to ignore facebook friend requests. And no one knows the reason. If it feels inappropriate or you just don't want them as f/b friends then just leave them hanging. I never accept requests from colleagues, for example, who are just acquaintances.

ReputationRep:
    I usually accept friend requests from e.g. older relatives & friends' parents but completely restrict what they see in my privacy settings.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Does anyone else find it weird when your friends parents add you?

Going back to the OP - I find it weird too. Most of my friends are older than me. I do have a friend who is much older than me who I met through a running forum years ago as a friend. Other than that, older people who are friends on FB, are family members.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me at all if I know them.

And I get on quite well with friends parents.

ReputationRep:
    if it's older people like your friends parents then yeah it's fine
    but if it's random old people then it's creepy

ReputationRep:
    Ethereal World once quoted me and i felt violated - i didnt know cougars were a real thing :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunni money)
    Ethereal World once quoted me and i felt violated - i didnt know cougars were a real thing :afraid:
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i have most of my family on facebook and some of them are in there 60's and 70's only time they cared was when i went on a long cursive rant and they told me off for swearing so i just avoid it now

ReputationRep:
    If i don't want to accept a request I just let it sit in my request box for a couple years and they'll probably have forgotten about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think it depends on how much more older the person is. I don't have social media, but if it was someone like nucdev or Ethereal World, I really wouldn't mind to be honest - they're only a few years older to me.

But, if you don't want to accept someone, don't. You may feel bad for a bit - but that's with anyone I guess, and if somebody asks, just say that you only really wanted to add close family and friends. I know what you mean though. It's like you don't want anybody to keep poking into your business because they can see whatever you post.
    It cuts deep that i'm so old :cry2:

at least me and nucdev can be old together?

nucdevatleastwearentaloneandyouk no...akeitwork.thai

ReputationRep:
    Definitely reject and block. My mum once requested me on FB. Nah mate

I don't do anything bad or post bad things but I feel like I have to be more careful if 'older' people have me, you know?

ReputationRep:
    i am that old p'rson

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind them adding me if I know them. A lot of my Gran's friends have added me on FB and I've never met them but know of them and we can get on well. They do like absolutely everything I post though lol but I'm used to that from my mum :

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have some aunts/uncles and my dad on Facebook and some of their stuff just makes me cringe a bit. My dad shared a vid the other day of a woman in a bikini cleaning a kitchen or something and was like 'one for the lads lol' then him and all his friends were commenting and I was like PLEASE STOP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.