Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone explain part a) and part c) to me?

For a) I understand that pi/2 implies a semi-circle, but could someone show from scratch how they would approach this question?

Also, please could someone explain what's going in the graph for part c), because it looks nothing like a half line to me!

Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    if you let z = x + iy

(x + iy - 2i)/(x + iy + 2) can be multiplied by (x + 2 - iy)/(x + 2 - iy) and simplified to ax + iby.

the arg of (p + iq) = pi/2, so tan pi/2 = q/p = tan (pi/2)

so since tan ( pi/2 ) is undefined it follows that p = 0... from there you get the equation of a circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if you let z = x + iy

(x + iy - 2i)/(x + iy + 2) can be multiplied by (x + 2 - iy)/(x + 2 - iy) and simplified to ax + iby.

the arg of (p + iq) = pi/2, so tan pi/2 = q/p = tan (pi/2)

so since tan ( pi/2 ) is undefined it follows that p = 0... from there you get the equation of a circle.
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry but I still don't understand. I have no idea how to construct an answer to the question. I.e. I'm not sure why the semi-circle is in the quadrant it's in.

ReputationRep:
    Zacken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhyM23)
    Zacken
    You know that the \arg(x+iy) is given by \arctan \frac{y}{x} (with some restrictions that we'll talk about later) we then have:

\displaystyle \arg \frac{x+i(y-2)}{(x+2) + iy} = \arctan \frac{x+ i(y-2)}{(x+2) + iy}, rationalise this - the denominator will be ((x+2) + iy)(x+2 - iy).

But since you know: \arctan \lambda = \frac{\pi}{2} \Rightarrow \lambda = \tan \frac{\pi}{2} = \infty (unrigorously) where \lambda  = the rationalised thing.

But the only way you can have something be infinity is if the denominator is zero. So you know that ((x+2) + iy)(x+2 - iy) = 0 which is the equation of a circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You know that the \arg(x+iy) is given by \arctan \frac{y}{x} (with some restrictions that we'll talk about later) we then have:

\displaystyle \arg \frac{x+i(y-2)}{(x+2) + iy} = \arctan \frac{x+ i(y-2)}{(x+2) + iy}, rationalise this - the denominator will be ((x+2) + iy)(x+2 - iy).

But since you know: \arctan \lambda = \frac{\pi}{2} \Rightarrow \lambda = \tan \frac{\pi}{2} = \infty (unrigorously) where \lambda  = the rationalised thing.

But the only way you can have something be infinity is if the denominator is zero. So you know that ((x+2) + iy)(x+2 - iy) = 0 which is the equation of a circle.
    Thanks for replying

That makes sense, but when I expand ((x+2) + iy)(x+2 - iy) = 0 I get (x+2)^2 + y^2 = 0, but the radius can't be zero?

And how does finding the equation of the circle help with knowing which quadrant to put the semi-circle in, and where you have to draw the half-lines to show where the angles make pi/2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhyM23)
    Lol. ignore what I said. :lol: We have \frac{x + i(y-2)}{x+2 + iy}, rationalise this and then separate it into real and imaginary parts. Let's call the imaginary part m and the real part n.

Then you know that \arctan \frac{m}{n} = \frac{\pi}{2} \Rightarrow n = 0. This will get you the equation of a circle.

Now you know that you need m , n > 0 - so that gets you the restrictions that forces it to be only a semi-circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Lol. ignore what I said. :lol: We have \frac{x + i(y-2)}{x+2 + iy}, rationalise this and then separate it into real and imaginary parts. Let's call the imaginary part m and the real part n.

Then you know that \arctan \frac{m}{n} = \frac{\pi}{2} \Rightarrow n = 0. This will get you the equation of a circle.

Now you know that you need m , n > 0 - so that gets you the restrictions that forces it to be only a semi-circle.

Ah I think I understand part a) now, except I'm not sure how m , n > 0 gets the restrictions for a semi-circle...

Also, why have they in the solutions I posted not just done a single half line for part c)? The graph looks like a mess!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.