Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why it was made.

Is it not common sense not to be abusive/controlling to someone you're in a romantic relationship with?

I cannot believe people need to be told this...

ReputationRep:
    some people grew up in an environment where it was normal for them to be abused.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean the one with the anthropomorphic objects talking about abuse? What really, really pissed me off about that ad is how it was only men being portrayed as abusers and women being portrayed as victims. Despite women actually committing abuse more frequently then men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854883/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Do you mean the one with the anthropomorphic objects talking about abuse? What really, really pissed me off about that ad is how it was only men being portrayed as abusers and women being portrayed as victims. Despite women actually committing abuse more frequently then men.

No, I'm talking about the one that goes something like "If you're pressuring your girlfriend to have sex, that's not okay." It's been on the tv recently. There's one about breasts in a bra talking about a male who is asking for sexual photos. I can't believe people have to be told to say no/not to do this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLPforever)
    No, I'm talking about the one that goes something like "If you're pressuring your girlfriend to have sex, that's not okay." It's been on the tv recently. There's one about breasts in a bra talking about a male who is asking for sexual photos. I can't believe people have to be told to say no/not to do this...
    Yeah, there's one with the talking fists as well. It's always the man portrayed as the bad one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's one with the talking fists as well. It's always the man portrayed as the bad one.
    I know that. Males often get told to deal with it and are laughed at...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I've noticed that too. And there's never anything about same sex relationships either. Always males abusing females.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I've noticed that too. And there's never anything about same sex relationships either. Always males abusing females.
    It's not even like they have to forget about M on F abuse either, they show like 4 scenarios. Don't know why they can't show one of each "main" type of relationship
    M on F
    F on M
    M on M
    F on F

It seems to me that they really aren't bothered about any of the other types of abuse

One of them says something like "if someone's telling you to send nudes or that you need to shower, you don't have to listen to them" why would anyone pressure you into showering........ why was that on their top list of threats you might get in an abusive relationship...........

ReputationRep:
    Have the Rotherham, Oxford and Rochdale abuse scandals just passed you by?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's good to bring these issues to light, domestic abuse is a serious issue but it's so taboo that people don't talk about it, I was disappointed to see it mainly focusing on female victims and male perpetrators, this kind of thing happens in all types of relationships from and to all genders

ReputationRep:

See I can't get very angry about this whole thing. I agree it's a shame they glossed over female-on-male domestic abuse, but male-on-female domestic abuse is also quite prevalent and it's still a valid issue that the ad will help address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    See I can't get very angry about this whole thing. I agree it's a shame they glossed over female-on-male domestic abuse, but male-on-female domestic abuse is also quite prevalent and it's still a valid issue that the ad will help address.
    But would it have killed them to include other types of abuse? The rhetoric is getting tiresome now, men = abusers // women = victims

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.