Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When dating, would cold sores bother you ? Watch

Just trying to get an idea of general,opinion on this but if a woman got cold sores now and then or frequently would you date her or would it put you off ?

ReputationRep:
    first things first, why does she get them "now and then" so frequently lel... slight issue there.

(Original post by alkaline.)
    first things first, why does she get them "now and then" so frequently lel... slight issue there.
    Some people just do, depends on the immune system and various triggers, for females monthly periods can be a trigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    smoking and colds cause them

depends if it is hsv1 hsv2

no reason for this to be anon, unmask the user.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't kiss them, or do any activities where their mouth is on my body, when cold sores appear. I don't have herpes, and I'd prefer to avoid getting it

(Original post by Laurasaur)
    Wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't kiss them, or do any activities where their mouth is on my body, when cold sores appear. I don't have herpes, and I'd prefer to avoid getting it
    Apparently most people have the virus but just don't get symptoms unless you have been tested you could have it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not an an asset in the dating game, particularly when active. But also so common I don't think there is likely to be much discrimination. Also some quite good treatments now I think. Don't worry about it.

I've had cold sores from a young age and its always stress that brings them on in the cold weather! End of the day people can't help having them so you do just have to see through it. From a female perspective they do make me feel absolutely hideous but in a relationship it doesn't really bother my boyfriend, it only upsets us that we can't kiss each other! But then if you think about it how good does a kiss feel when you've had to wait days for it? If it was my boyf who had them then I would see through it definitely cos you can't really help having them! Loads of people have the virus in their system through genetics etc but you might get one once and never again or you could get them frequently, it is such a normal thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just trying to get an idea of general,opinion on this but if a woman got cold sores now and then or frequently would you date her or would it put you off ?
    If you google "60% cold sores" you will see articles that report that in western countries, about 60% of the population get cold sores (i.e. carry HSV 1 or 2).

If you dont already have it, I can understand aversion to getting it, but tbh given how common it is, you're very likely to get it at some point in your life.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They aren't exactly a turn on but I already get cold sores albeit very rarely, so I wouldn't mind going out with someone else who gets them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.