Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can we finally agree the Premier league isn't the best now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Saying it is the most entertaining means nothing as it isn't something you can quantify. Unless we get ahead of the curve tactically and stop praising 1980's tactics we will continue to be a 2nd rate league with a 3rd rate international team.

http://bit.ly/1T0NJrJ

Blind pundits indeed

ReputationRep:
    The Premier league is shite, the stupid obsession with improving the *****y national team has spread the shitness like a plague to our club teams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    The Premier league is shite, the stupid obsession with improving the *****y national team has spread the shitness like a plague to our club teams
    If you listen to the pundits. there is nothing that can't be solved by throwing the ball into the box.

English managers are appallingly bad and not everything is about passion.

ReputationRep:
    The Premiership is the most competitive league, and thus the most exciting. The bottom 10 teams are relatively strong, whereas in the other leagues they are just there to make up the numbers. This stems from our lower leagues, in particular the Championship, being much stronger than any other nations second division. How often do we see teams comes up and do really well? Swansea, West Ham, Southampton, Leicester, Watford etc.

On the flip side, the competitiveness is also a result of the top teams being relatively weak. Chelsea, City and Arsenal have the best squads, but they are far behind the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern, Atletico, PSG, Dortmund and maybe even Juve. The last time we had world-beating teams was when United and Chelsea were ripping up Europe for about 5 years.

As for style, the English game is entertaining as it is very physical and there are lots of 50-50's. There is much less emphasis on ball possession, which most people find boring unless it's Barca. The Italian league is ridiculously boring because all the teams are hell-bent on defending and tactical discipline. I don't watch enough of German/French football to comment. The Spanish league is very good to watch when it's a clash between the top 6 or 7 teams, but otherwise it's just a routine hammering and the non-significance of goal difference allows teams to just surrender 6-0 losses to the big boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    The Premiership is the most competitive league, and thus the most exciting. The bottom 10 teams are relatively strong, whereas in the other leagues they are just there to make up the numbers. This stems from our lower leagues, in particular the Championship, being much stronger than any other nations second division. How often do we see teams comes up and do really well? Swansea, West Ham, Southampton, Leicester, Watford etc.

On the flip side, the competitiveness is also a result of the top teams being relatively weak. Chelsea, City and Arsenal have the best squads, but they are far behind the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern, Atletico, PSG, Dortmund and maybe even Juve. The last time we had world-beating teams was when United and Chelsea were ripping up Europe for about 5 years.

As for style, the English game is entertaining as it is very physical and there are lots of 50-50's. There is much less emphasis on ball possession, which most people find boring unless it's Barca. The Italian league is ridiculously boring because all the teams are hell-bent on defending and tactical discipline. I don't watch enough of German/French football to comment. The Spanish league is very good to watch when it's a clash between the top 6 or 7 teams, but otherwise it's just a routine hammering and the non-significance of goal difference allows teams to just surrender 6-0 losses to the big boys.
    To me that is just a list of received wisdoms and while there is some truth in it, it explains part of the reason why we have such a poor league.

The premiesrship is the richest in the world yet we are struggling to make the last 8 in both European competitions. At the bottom I would not back Sunderland and Villa against anyone and are there any worse teams in the world to watch than West Brom? Barca and Madrid rule their league because they are that good, if they were in the Premiership it would be embarrassing.

Possession styles can be dull if there is no purpose to it but keeping a hold of the ball has been central to dreadful record England have at international level.

We have had these conversations about our football for generations, the proof is in the results.

ReputationRep:
    Only idiots that dont know anything about football think the premier league isnt the best.

ReputationRep:
    I am here for reps! So give em to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jetboy)
    To me that is just a list of received wisdoms and while there is some truth in it, it explains part of the reason why we have such a poor league.

The premiesrship is the richest in the world yet we are struggling to make the last 8 in both European competitions. At the bottom I would not back Sunderland and Villa against anyone and are there any worse teams in the world to watch than West Brom? Barca and Madrid rule their league because they are that good, if they were in the Premiership it would be embarrassing.

Possession styles can be dull if there is no purpose to it but keeping a hold of the ball has been central to dreadful record England have at international level.

We have had these conversations about our football for generations, the proof is in the results.
    I don't watch football anymore so I don't care, but two or three amazing teams playing absolutely spectacular football is preferable to dull wet rainy nights in stoke where they're playing absolute cavemen in every position who have muscles, but no technical ability, just hoofing it up to the strikers.

It's not actually that entertaining seeing upsets every week if the standard of play is total shite.

ReputationRep:
    The premier league was never the best it was a myth created by English elitist. These are the same people that used to think the English national team was great. Saying the premier league is the most entertaining is just meaningless that's just an opinion I don't agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    What a shite outdated thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    The premier league was never the best it was a myth created by English elitist. These are the same people that used to think the English national team was great. Saying the premier league is the most entertaining is just meaningless that's just an opinion I don't agree with that.
    The overseas viewing of the Premier League far outstrips any other league in the world which is proof IMO that it is the most entertaining, otherwise it wouldn't be so popular worldwide. In terms of quality at the top we have slipped a bit in the last 5 years as our poor outings in Europe show.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jetboy)

Correct, although not in the way you think - England have been too obsessed with keeping the ball because it's what Spain are doing and they're doing well, rather than playing to your strengths. Look at the players England have got available, good long range passers and pacy strikers - play the way leicester have been (press then quick transitions from defence to attack) and they'd do far, far better than playing with the likes of John ****ing Stones and obsessing with pass percentages of the defence and possession percentages rather than scoring.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by al_94)
    It was for a period when we had the "big four". Remember when UEFA had to appoint a corrupt referee to stop a second successive United v Chelsea final?

Anyway, I'd rather have a competitive league than going back to the days where you knew the big four couldn't be broken and none of the promoted sides had much hope of staying up. Bournemouth for example are doing brilliantly I'd rather have that than seeing them lose 8-0 to Chelsea or 7-1 to Arsenal every time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The premier league is the best league in the world at the expense of home grown British players and by this I don't mean Caucasian players but any British born player of any colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It was for a period when we had the "big four". Remember when UEFA had to appoint a corrupt referee to stop a second successive United v Chelsea final?

Anyway, I'd rather have a competitive league than going back to the days where you knew the big four couldn't be broken and none of the promoted sides had much hope of staying up. Bournemouth for example are doing brilliantly I'd rather have that than seeing them lose 8-0 to Chelsea or 7-1 to Arsenal every time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think this has ever happened in the premiership but may well occur in the Spanish primera division were the top teams are just way too strong for the small teams.

ReputationRep:
    Easily the best league in the world

Spain two super giants hammering a bunch of paella salesmen 7-0 every week

Germany 1 supergiant beating a bunch of bratwurst packers 7-0 every week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Big 4 was a myth look at those clubs now it would never happen to Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern. Premier league method is not sustainable and I prefer the days when the big clubs had more dominance because the big games meant more back then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Big 4 was a myth look at those clubs now it would never happen to Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern. Premier league method is not sustainable and I prefer the days when the big clubs had more dominance because i am a GHW who chose to support one of them expecting trophies every year.
    fyp

ReputationRep:
    Bring back kick and rush 80s style football with thundering wingers that stay wide and big center forwards winning headers. 2 solid mids to hold the middle and start up moves. Stop this politically correct tiki taka ********

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)

Sorry but your opinion of the Serie A is pretty outdated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.