Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mind=blown at women's materialism watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My PC is a luxury item and I saved up 2 days of money for it.

(Original post by Ishea16)
    fussy shopper? i know what you mean lol:lol:
    You could say that. :rolleyes: At least someone understands :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I understand the importance of quality and would spend up £1000 on a coat, but that is because it is functional and not purely for the status symbol.
    Agreed tbh but I'd still never spend that much on a coat. Maybe up to £300 and I'd expect it to last forever. When women spend a *****on on impractical shoes I don't get it either. If I'm spending a lot of money on shoes they had better be practical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunni money)
    its a status symbol dont be jelly

although if she has to save for 10 years to afford one thats probably not the best way to spend her money.
    Status symbol? Ordinary people are going to either be jealous or think she's a muppet, wealthy people are going to think she's spending pennies and she should have spent more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feel tha bern)
    10 years to save 4k, where they working in bangladesh or something?

LOOOL prsom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Status symbol? Ordinary people are going to either be jealous or think she's a muppet, wealthy people are going to think she's spending pennies and she should have spent more.
    Agreed.

It's like spending your last 10k on a rolex, it's not a badass expression of wealth, it shows you're a loser.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get it either. A (very smart, highly-educated) friend is also saving in order to buy a Chanel handbag, and I completely fail to see why. Yes, it's a status symbol and so forth, but I just don't see the point in spending so much money on just one (non-essential) item, even if it is pretty, designer-label, etc. This person has also recently bought a house with her partner, and is doing it up and so forth, but still maintains the designer-handbag account. I suppose if it's that important to her then she should go right ahead, but personally I cannot understand it.

I don't think it's necessarily confined to women though - there are plenty of men who find status and a degree of self-worth in possessions, clothing and so forth. The image of designer shoe-and-handbag-obsessed women perhaps has a grain of truth to it in some cases, but many people, of both genders, are driven by materialism and 'status' items.

ReputationRep:
    You could buy a car, go on holiday, go on a massive shopping spree and still have money left over.

But noo, let me buy a handbag instead

ReputationRep:
    The great irony is that by spending all this money on looking wealthy, you actually become poor as hell. ;P
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Not all women are materialistic, plys many men are as well. depending on how youve been raised or culture then its viewed as a positive.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still rocking the JD sports bag from when i bought diadora creps

I don't understand why either.

You could buy so many more clothes and handbags with that, ones with nice designs too.

Designer =/= stylish smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khaleesi98)
    Haha obviously the difference between not having a car and having a car is important. But the difference between having a reliable car that you can get around with and having a more expensive car that still does the same job is pretty trivial to me, yeah. I do think that is the same kinda thing as wanting a designer handbag.
    people who buy expensive luxury cars can usually afford them, and cars actually do things, meanwhile this girl saved up for YEARS and spent it all on a fukin BAG, I'm sorry but there's just no comparison

ReputationRep:
    Just imagining what I could buy with £4000. Books, lots of books and a particularly nice bicycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallah abdi)
    I'm still rocking the JD sports bag from when i bought diadora creps
    I don't even know who my father is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    I don't even know who my father is
    Aw your dad plays hide and seek with you? Cute

ReputationRep:
    You don't sound like you like your gilfriend very much, have you considered bagging another?

ReputationRep:
    n= what 10 or so?

Strong sample size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    10 years to save 4K?

Damn
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    10 years to save 4k, where they working in Bangladesh or something?
    The OP sounds about 12, so I'm guessing she is too?

ReputationRep:
    There's literally no point in dedicating so much for designer bags, or designer anything for that matter.

Unless you're a celebrity where people constantly stalk you to see what you own, nobody will give two flying f**ks about your bag, watch, shoes, etc. Knowing people nowadays, they'll probably think they're knockoffs off Alibaba. Or they'll say you're a "try-hard". Even those that are bound to be jealous will go out of their way to not show it. There's no way to win with people these days.

If the only reason you're trying to buy designer stuff is as a status symbol (basically to impress), you're just wasting your time. Trying to make people jealous will eventually backfire.

As long as you have something that does the job, what's the point of wasting so much money on something that could have paid off bills, loans or holidays? Something useful?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.