Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black boy turns down cambridge due to lack of 'music scene' Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by chloe12340)
    Hey guys, my sociology teacher gave me this homework task to complete and it was basically to search for different news articles and decide why they had been considered 'newsworthy'
    I came across this one and thought it would provoke a lot of thought and discussion which would help me with my homework

Here it is:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ty-bosses.html

I'd like as much responses from this as possible so if anyone doesn't want to read the entire article, here's a quick summary:

- Franklyn Addo (17) grew up in a very tough estate in London and is an aspiring rapper
    - He got 100% in his sociology AS exams
    - Got accepted to study to study Politics, Psychology and Sociology at Cambridge- Turned down Cambridge and chose LSE instead
    - Says he prefers the modern buildings rather than the old cathedral-style ones in Cambridge
    - Says it would have been difficult for him to carry on with music if he went to Cambridge

Why has this even been reported? - why was it considered 'newsworthy'?
    Maybe there's more to this story?
    Shouldn't we hear more to his side of the story? (idk, but I feel like there's more to someone rejecting Cambridge than there being 'no music scene' - maybe news articles have put this statement out of context)
    Is this story a way of making black people seem short sighted?
    Could there be any other reasons he turned down the University that wasn't mentioned?

I'd like people to contribute to this thread so I can have a lot to say in my essay (hence why I'm also doing an assembly on it in school as I find it really interesting to hear other people's opinions on this topic)

Also, if trolls could refrain from any form of racial abuse pls :o:

P.S. Sorry for the extreme use of clickbait in the thread title lol

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    A more serious contribution to your thread:

Firstly, we have to consider it's the Daily Mail. As an ethnic minority person who attended Oxbridge, I'd advise you to take the DM reporting anything to do with ethnic minorities or Oxbridge (let alone the two combined!) with a huge pinch of salt :eek:

I didn't read the whole article but I think it's interesting they have singled out this guy.

In the wider context of Oxbridge admissions and in case you don't know, few British-born Afro-Caribbean students tend to get admitted. There are many reasons for this and a lot of fuss is made about this in the national newspapers. A year or so prior to this article, there was a big hoo-ha about "only 2 black students" being admitted to Oxford in a particular admissions cycle or something.

I do suspect that the DM are subtly trying to make Addo seem short-sighted. It's a very click-bait article for their readership, I'd suspect.

ReputationRep:
    'I was accepted into all of my universities. Cambridge was my second choice. I chose LSE because the syllabus looks more interesting'

ReputationRep:
    Why is this even a story? "Successful A Level student turns down one top rated university for another one," it's hardly the most gripping thing I've heard. I can only assume the papers were trying to turn it into some kind of argument that black people just don't want to go to Oxbridge so why bother trying to encourage them.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The student in question is quote in the article as saying "I chose LSE because the syllabus looks more interesting" and the lack of a 'music scene' is a career consideration on his part. Furthermore, he is never referred to as 'black boy' or 'black' at all.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how anyone can prefer 1970s LSE's concrete blocks to Cambridge's beautiful medieval architecture. But I suppose if people grow up in an urban concrete environment then they get used to it. This just goes to show that as long as rich white people go to schools like Eton and universities like Cambridge, they will get into the positions of power in Westminster, because its the natural progression to go from one elitist Medieval environment to the next. Meanwhile poorer areas, and especially minority areas of London, have 1960s and 70s comprehensives and concrete tower blocks for schools, housing and colleges, which is the perfect breeding ground for people who have no interest in seeking the medieval stone corridors of power where their futures are decided by people like David Cameron who probably doesn't even know how to use a lift.

Frankly I think the ideal solution would be to bulldoze every building that was built after 1910 and revive our old style of architecture, that way this 'ghetto' culture where old buildings are considered boring and stale rather than symbols of wealth and power could not develop any further. But I suppose that's not workable. But we do need to do a lot more to somehow marry the poor inner city/suburban cityscape and its associated culture with the rural and wealthy urban traditional British architecture and culture in this country, so that generations of disadvantaged people cannot grow up in the ridiculous position of feeling 'uncomfortable' in the beautiful settings of somewhere like Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    I don't understand how anyone can prefer 1970s LSE's concrete blocks to Cambridge's beautiful medieval architecture.
    How can anyone not, LSE campus looks much better than Cambridge, which just looks like a cathedral

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    The student in question is quote in the article as saying "I chose LSE because the syllabus looks more interesting" and the lack of a 'music scene' is a career consideration on his part. Furthermore, he is never referred to as 'black boy' or 'black' at all.
    Many students have turned down Cambridge in the past for a number of different reasons including the financial demands of accommodation for example and other reasons. The fact that his reason of rejecting Cambridge due to a lack of the 'music scene' was highlighted suggests that they were probably trying to enforce racial stereotypes and maybe use him as an example to represent the rest of the black population's reasons for not applying/rejecting Cambridge like QuibblerWaffle was saying. That's why I referred to him as black because I thought it was relevant, really wasn't trying to call him out or something.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Many students have turned down Cambridge in the past for a number of different reasons including the financial demands of accommodation for example and other reasons. The fact that his reason of rejecting Cambridge due to a lack of the 'music scene' was highlighted suggests that they were probably trying to enforce racial stereotypes and maybe use him as an example to represent the rest of the black population's reasons for not applying/rejecting Cambridge like QuibblerWaffle was saying. That's why I referred to him as black because I thought it was relevant, really wasn't trying to call him out or something.
    I think the student comes of well (intelligent, thoughtful) in the article.

But then again the DM is a worthless rag so who knows what their motivations are.

As a side point, I doubt many would go to a London Uni over Cambridge due to concerns over the cost of accommodation. It is very expensive to live in London (unless you're living at home which still offers a potentially unpleasant commute) whilst Cambridge offer generous bursaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    How can anyone not, LSE campus looks much better than Cambridge, which just looks like a cathedral
    Firstly, cathedrals are renowned architectural monuments so that's hardly a bad thing. Secondly, most old buildings in Cambridge Uni look nothing like a cathedral (although I can see how if you don't come from a traditional part of the UK then a cathedral is likely to be the only decent building you can see in your local area).

To be fair LSE is hardly the worst offender but even still, it leaves a lot to be desired:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Lol this is from 2011. Why mention the fact that he's black? Are you race baiting???
    More specifically, OP is black baiting

ReputationRep:
    He picked a very good uni in a city he'd probably be way more comfortable in in terms of getting his music off the ground.

Nothing wrong with that tbh.

ReputationRep:
    This f****** thread smh.

Really? "Black Boy" ... and it wasn't just because of the "music scene." He says the syllabus from LSE was more appealing. Flipping hell it's not like he chose London Met over Cambridge, this is LSE we're talking about. If you have all those top notch options at your disposal AND you wouldn't be seen dead in a place that looks like Hogwarts then OBVIOUSLY choose what's right for you, in his case LSE. This was a smart student with other talents which he was looking to nurture. It should be celebrated not used as race bait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    Firstly, cathedrals are renowned architectural monuments so that's hardly a bad thing. Secondly, most old buildings in Cambridge Uni look nothing like a cathedral (although I can see how if you don't come from a traditional part of the UK then a cathedral is likely to be the only decent building you can see in your local area).

To be fair LSE is hardly the worst offender but even still, it leaves a lot to be desired:
    personally, I prefer the second, the first looks like a cardboard castle that I made in Year 7.
    And lets compare these two.

I personally prefer the second and yes the first does look like a cathedral

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, and I live in South London btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LVRG)
    This f****** thread smh.

Really? "Black Boy" ... and it wasn't just because of the "music scene." He says the syllabus from LSE was more appealing. Flipping hell it's not like he chose London Met over Cambridge, this is LSE we're talking about. If you have all those top notch options at your disposal AND you wouldn't be seen dead in a place that looks like Hogwarts then OBVIOUSLY choose what's right for you, in his case LSE. This was a smart student with other talents which he was looking to nurture. It should be celebrated not used as race bait.
    I'm sorry, if I could change the thread title I would now. not sure what you mean by race bait but this thread was made formy educational purposes and also for a bit of debate (thought it would be interesting), sorry again

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, if I could change the thread title I would now. not sure what you mean by race bait but this thread was made formy educational purposes and also for a bit of debate (thought it would be interesting), sorry again
    No worries, we all slip up sometimes. good luck with your paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    No one likes Cambridge anyway - it's a **** uni :yep:

:ninja:

:flute:
    :eek:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Imperion)
    :eek:
    Unbiased opinion of course :pierre:

:beard:

:ahee:

:angel:

:flute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    personally, I prefer the second, the first looks like a cardboard castle that I made in Year 7.
    And lets compare these two.

I personally prefer the second and yes the first does look like a cathedral
    Well obviously that building looks like a church, because it is one! If LSE had its own church then I bet that would also look like a church.

ReputationRep:
    It can be spun many ways but if at the end of the day you're not going to enjoy university life at a particular university there's little point going.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.