Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
need help with J L Mackie on the problem of evil
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is part of my essay in which I refer to J.L.Mackie - hope it helps!

Mackie tries to overcome the problem faced by theists who want to uphold God's attributes of Omniscience, Omni-benevolence, Omni-potency and Omni-presence. Mackie tries to explain the problem in evil in conjunction with the belief of God of classical theism in his inconsistent triad. Within each point of of his triangle lays God's Omni potency and Omni benevolence and on the third point lays evil. Evil exists and we recognise it through suffering inflicted by natural and Moral Evil so evil must always exist and hold true. Mackie states that within the inconsistent triad 'the conjunction of any two entails the negation of the third'. So if we combine evil with on of the other two qualities the third must not hold true. This also poses a problem for theists who wish to uphold all of God's qualities as demonstrated in their holy scripture.
bethangower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Leena98)
This is part of my essay in which I refer to J.L.Mackie - hope it helps!

Mackie tries to overcome the problem faced by theists who want to uphold God's attributes of Omniscience, Omni-benevolence, Omni-potency and Omni-presence. Mackie tries to explain the problem in evil in conjunction with the belief of God of classical theism in his inconsistent triad. Within each point of of his triangle lays God's Omni potency and Omni benevolence and on the third point lays evil. Evil exists and we recognise it through suffering inflicted by natural and Moral Evil so evil must always exist and hold true. Mackie states that within the inconsistent triad 'the conjunction of any two entails the negation of the third'. So if we combine evil with on of the other two qualities the third must not hold true. This also poses a problem for theists who wish to uphold all of God's qualities as demonstrated in their holy scripture.
thank you very much!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bethangower)
thank you very much!
No worries You do understand it though right? It has been worded to fit the question from the essay and obviously a lot more concise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (436)
67.49%
No (210)
32.51%

Watched Threads