Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for a Linguistics course for University at the end of year 13 (I'm currently in year 12) and I need to do some relevant work experience to build up my personal statement this summer after exams. However, I can't find any relevant work experience to Linguistics, what types of experience could I do involving English or Languages?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for English language and linguistics this year and the work experience I had was tutoring English to a girl with autism. Maybe try English tutoring, you might even get paid for it

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you! I'm thinking of applying to do a few days work experience at a speech and language therapist through the NHS system, but apart from that I'm not sure what else there is? I'd say in that case just focus on reading lots around the subject to put that on your personal statement

ReputationRep:
    As a current linguistics student I'd say that reading around the subject and highlighting any academic work you've done that relates to linguistics is much more important than work experience. If you can find some work experience that shows and uses skills important to studying linguistics (i.e. data analysis, independent work, group work, maybe even language teaching/tutoring...) then by all means go for it, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. You can put a spin on pretty much anything as long as you pick out the relevant aspects of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.