Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The first self-made female millionaire and billionaire in the US were both black,why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about Sarah Breedlove and Oprah. The former was literally born into the first black generation of post-slavery America. They were not only black, but also female and born in extreme poverty. Add to that the fact that the number of white women in the US was also far higher. Boggles the mind , doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    because they're smart
    they're loyal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daquan)
    I am talking about Sarah Breedlove and Oprah. The former was literally born into the first black generation of post-slavery America. They were not only black, but also female and born in extreme poverty. Add to that the fact that the number of white women in the US was also far higher. Boggles the mind , doesn't it?
    No? Why does it boggle your mind?

ReputationRep:
    Most likely a combination of family work ethic, the right environment and a lot of luck shaped them into the type of person who'll go and seek out their own success. Not to mention the people who would've helped/supported them on the way up.

I think the first reason is the most significant.

ReputationRep:
    Because black people are ****ing awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallah abdi)
    Because the odds were stacked against them. The richest people don't tend to come from poor, minority backgrounds. Especially not the immediate descendants of slaves.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine how my life would be like if i married Oprah................

ReputationRep:
    They're badass

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, the reason is because as black women we have to work three times, if not, even more than that to reach where we want and so they are probably where they are because they had so much more perseverance and determination to get to the place they desired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chitamara42)
    Exactly, the reason is because as black women we have to work three times, if not, even more than that to reach where we want.
    Can you provide your source for this?

ReputationRep:
    Can you provide your source for this?
    I don't need a source, I know from my own personal experience?

ReputationRep:
    I don't need a source, I know from my own personal experience?
    So your own personal experience extends to all black women? Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    So your own personal experience extends to all black women? Interesting.
    From my own personal experience I understand that black women do have to work much harder to get where they want to be in life? That does extend to all black women, what exactly is your point?

ReputationRep:
    From my own personal experience I understand that black women do have to work much harder to get where they want to be in life? That does extend to all black women, what exactly is your point?
    How do you know that all black women work much harder from "your own" experience?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that all black women work much harder from "your own" experience?
    I never said that they work much harder, I said that they HAVE to work much harder to get to where they want to be?

ReputationRep:
    I never said that they work much harder, I said that they HAVE to work much harder to get to where they want to be?
    Again, can you prove this happens to all black women and not just you?

And in what ways have you worked much harder compared to your white counterparts?

ReputationRep:
    Stop avoiding his question. If you have no proof, then just admit it already. If you have, don't beat around the bush. We'd love to be enlightened.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's the colour of their skins that did this (sarcasm intended). They were obviously smart, focused and played every single card of theirs the right way.

ReputationRep:
    Because we live in a global system of racism which is directed towards black people and that global system of racism, has created systems to halt, put roadblocks up for black people.

So that means if you are black, you start the race ten yards further back. Thus we have to work harder, in the main.

Now that is not right. But that is the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_Paul_246)
    Because we live in a global system of racism which is directed towards black people and that global system of racism, has created systems to halt, put roadblocks up for black people.

So that means if you are black, you start the race ten yards further back. Thus we have to work harder, in the main.

Now that is not right. But that is the system.
    That's deep, the same thing with brown muslims tbh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.