The Student Room Group

The first self-made female millionaire and billionaire in the US were both black,why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reformed
yes, with the caveat i already mentioned that there still is a preserve at the top echelons that will recruit white males over and above, not just black but asian, oriental and female board members.

but you seem to be suggesting that black people shouldnt bother trying to excel academically because of barriers, and instead simply be happy with 'natural talent' as you put it to 'sing dance and play sport'. again suggesting that this has became an acceptable attitude within black society? hardly going to improve the situation is it.
you can compare for example the attitude within uks chinese/japanese/korean community, whoose culture is to strive academically regardless of any racism barriers that may be raised in front of them.

Thanks for trying to read my mind.

So what's your opinion on the scores of unemployed black people who go to university and still can't get work ?

Also about 0.00000000000000000000000000001% of black people are rappers, So for you to think that this is what black kids aspire to tells me that you spend very little time around black kids.

You know very few black people. You have no black friends and have very black people in your life and all what you know of black people is from TV a TV which is produced by white people.
Original post by Prince_Paul_246
Thanks for trying to read my mind.

So what's your opinion on the scores of unemployed black people who go to university and still can't get work ?

Also about 0.00000000000000000000000000001% of black people are rappers, So for you to think that this is what black kids aspire to tells me that you spend very little time around black kids.

You know very few black people. You have no black friends and have very black people in your life and all what you know of black people is from TV a TV which is produced by white people.

there are scores of students of all colours that go to university that are unemployed.

i already made the point that the odds of becoming a millionaire rapper are slim to tiny - there are far better and more lucrative careers to aim for. that hasnt stopped lots of black kids from wanting to be rappers. a little earlier you were suggesting theres nothing wrong with this ambition, now you are claiming its untrue because you are a black person and speak fro everyone?
there are scores of students of all colours that go to university that are unemployed.

i already made the point that the odds of becoming a millionaire rapper are slim to tiny - there are far better and more lucrative careers to aim for. that hasnt stopped lots of black kids from wanting to be rappers. a little earlier you were suggesting theres nothing wrong with this ambition, now you are claiming its untrue because you are a black person and speak fro everyone?

So you don't know any black people.

So all your information about black people is from white people. Right ?
So you don't know any black people.

So all your information about black people is from white people. Right ?

i know black people, both socially and academically ; my current associate professor is african american. i assume you are suggesting because you ' know more black people than me' i cant have an opinion on this thread, which is weak to say the least. how do you claim to know what white CEOs think - how many do you know,? ( none id wager)

if we can stick to social reality for a second, perhaps you can clarfiy to me why you think apex of aspiration for black ppl should simply be rap music and sport
i know black people, both socially and academically ; my current associate professor is african american. i assume you are suggesting because you ' know more black people than me' i cant have an opinion on this thread, which is weak to say the least. how do you claim to know what white CEOs think - how many do you know,? ( none id wager)

if we can stick to social reality for a second, perhaps you can clarfiy to me why you think apex of aspiration for black ppl should simply be rap music and sport

You need to read my words. Instead of trying to read my mind. I never said that black people should stick to music and sport. But my point is, that there is disproportionate number of black people in music and sports BECAUSE of racism.

Music and sports are very objective. As I say. You either can run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds or you can't. Same goes for other sports. Therefore it's much harder to put roadblocks up.

I don't need to know any white CEO'S but I do now that most companies do not want to disproportionate number of black people working for them especially in high positions.

Racism is a system. They don't say "We only want white middle and upper class people at Oxford or Cambridge" but a system has been created to ensure that.

So let's say a black person said "OK. I want to start a business" though this can be achieved black people are less likely than whites to have their business loan applications approved, even when their credit records are the same.

Even college educated black people earn less and are in less lucrative occupational positions than their whites and longer unemployed.
You need to read my words. Instead of trying to read my mind. I never said that black people should stick to music and sport. But my point is, that there is disproportionate number of black people in music and sports BECAUSE of racism.

and because they want to be in those careers

Music and sports are very objective. As I say. You either can run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds or you can't. Same goes for other sports. Therefore it's much harder to put roadblocks up.

no one is born to be able to run 100m in 10 seconds, nor to be a famous rapper - they still have to put the effort to become superior in those fields to forge a genuine career - point being is in black community its acceptable and encouraged to put in the effort for those industries, but less so to be a banker, doctor lawyer etc. who are the black role models for black kids in school do you think ? again accuse me of 'not knowing enough black ppl' but being an unsuccessful rapper is still cooler to a 17 y/o black kid than a famed nuclear physicist

I don't need to know any white CEO'S but I do now that most companies do not want to disproportionate number of black people working for them especially in high positions.
yes we know, you dont need to know any because of your white ppl mind-reading app on your iphone.

Racism is a system. They don't say "We only want white middle and upper class people at Oxford or Cambridge" but a system has been created to ensure that.
and a system has also been created to promote certain industries as having value in the black community, music being one of them. this cannot be ignored.

So let's say a black person said "OK. I want to start a business" though this can be achieved black people are less likely than whites to have their business loan applications approved, even when their credit records are the same.

Even college educated black people earn less and are in less lucrative occupational positions than their whites and longer unemployed.

again these are simply weak arguements. there was a time every gp in the country was white male, now in most major cities your as likely to see an asian doctor as a white one. the societal barriers didnt stop asians doctors applying for jobs, nor their 2nd and 3rd gen children going to medical school and applying for rotations. Which would not be the case now if simply dropped out of the system and admitted defeat as you seem to promote. but i guess again something in their culture drove them to succeed rather than make excuses.

you can accept the existence of barriers without having to build them up into insurmountable objects
(edited 8 years ago)
no one is born to be able to run 100m in 10 seconds, nor to be a famous rapper - they still have to put the effort to become superior in those fields to forge a genuine career - point being is in black community its acceptable and encouraged to put in the effort for those industries, but less so to be a banker, doctor lawyer etc. who are the black role models for black kids in school do you think ? again accuse me of 'not knowing enough black ppl' but being an unsuccessful rapper is still cooler to a 17 y/o black kid than a famed nuclear physicist

I don't think you know any black people. I don't think you know any black kids.

So what makes you such an expert on black people ? Because at the end of the day. It will always come back to white people.

But I'll let you dig your own hole.

again these are simply weak arguements. there was a time every gp in the country was white male, now in most major cities your as likely to see an asian doctor as a white one. the societal barriers didnt stop asians doctors applying for jobs, nor their 2nd and 3rd gen children going to medical school and applying for rotations. Which would not be the case now if simply dropped

And how did Asians get those doctorate jobs ? Who were the people who fought for them ? And have you spoke the racism that many Asian doctors go through ?
I don't think you know any black people. I don't think you know any black kids.

So what makes you such an expert on black people ? Because at the end of the day. It will always come back to white people.

But I'll let you dig your own hole.

back to this old flanel - thats fine i guess you have no answer to the question im asking of you. so then all your comments about white business/ media etc should then be put down to rantings, due to your lack of associations with any such people.

i find your implication that black people are simply suited to singing dancing and running so thats what they should aspire too, is akin to old school 1930s white patriarchial racism.

you illustrate that you are part of the problem not a solution - as to why we have comparatively few black nuclear physicists, CEOs, astronaughts etc etc and yet we can name 10 rappers of the top of our heads, is not just down to the glass ceiling, its also down to the excuses your are trying to keep afloat.

And how did Asians get those doctorate jobs ? Who were the people who fought for them ? And have you spoke the racism that many Asian doctors go through ?

noone fought anyone, over time asian community proved they were determined enough to succeed where previously they were discriminated against. it didnt happen over night
back to this old flanel - thats fine i guess you have no answer to the question im asking of you. so then all your comments about white business/ media etc should then be put down to rantings, due to your lack of associations with any such people.

i find your implication that black people are simply suited to singing dancing and running so thats what they should aspire too, is akin to old school 1930s white patriarchial racism.

you illustrate that you are part of the problem not a solution - as to why we have comparatively few black nuclear physicists, CEOs, astronaughts etc etc and yet we can name 10 rappers of the top of our heads, is not just down to the glass ceiling, its also down to the excuses your are trying to keep afloat.

I'm asking you a question.

What makes you an expert on black people ? Where did you get this knowledge ?

noone fought anyone, over time asian community proved they were determined enough to succeed where previously they were discriminated against. it didnt happen over night

What makes you an expert on Asian people ? Where did you get this knowledge ?
I'm asking you a question.

What makes you an expert on black people ? Where did you get this knowledge ?

What makes you an expert on Asian people ? Where did you get this knowledge ?

no one on this thread is an expert on anything, including you, doesnt mean those points cant be made. you dont seem to want to answer any of them, you just want to rant , so you dont need me to do that, youre doing great by yourself
no one on this thread is an expert on anything, including you, doesnt mean those points cant be made. you dont seem to want to answer any of them, you just want to rant , so you dont need me to do that, youre doing great by yourself

Because what is the point in debating someone who has just admitted he does know what he's talking about ?

You have not made any points. Now if you want to talk about white racism, then we can talk, but if you are going to get silly and talk about what black people are and are not or should be doing, then there is no debate.

Because your attention is too skewed in one direction for there to be a serious debate.

In your case it's "Black people"

Yes… By all means have the discussion about why so many Black people appear to be caught up in perceived negative social and economic disorders. But if you are also not prepared to focus the same attention discussing the perceived causes, (i.e white racism) Then you are either being disingenuous or not really serious.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending