Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All for Engineering (biomedical) apart from Southampton

Southampton A*AA (Mechanical engineering degree) MEng
    University College London AAA MEng
    Queen Mary University of London AAA Meng w/ Industrial Exprience
    Kings College University AAB BEng

Since I'm not taking out any loans, and I live in london, I really want to go to UCL, however southampton was amazing, I really love the campus, and the degree is in the top 5 in the uk.

Keeping it simple, what to firm and put as my backup. Cheers. Southampton Mechanical Engineering or UCL Biomedical Engineering.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Evianwaterbottle)
    All for Engineering (biomedical) apart from Southampton

Southampton A*AA (Mechanical engineering degree) MEng
    University College London AAA MEng
    Queen Mary University of London AAA Meng w/ Industrial Exprience
    Kings College University AAB BEng

Since I'm not taking out any loans, and I live in london, I really want to go to UCL, however southampton was amazing, I really love the campus, and the degree is in the top 5 in the uk.

Keeping it simple, what to firm and put as my backup. Cheers. Southampton Mechanical Engineering or UCL Biomedical Engineering.
    They are quite different degrees.... which discipline do you want to do the most?

ReputationRep:
    Well they are both great universities and Southampton is particularly good for Engineering as I'm sure you know. I don't know anything about the courses but I can advocate that if you studied at Southampton you would have a great time. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience there
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think UCL. You have written that you really want to go to UCL, so please go there.

You will have a great time living and studying in what is one of the best Universities in one of the greatest cities in the world. :grin:

Going beyond the cliche, I think the entry conditions of AAA is "better" and probably more achieveable than Southampton's A*AA. However, you should know that Biomed is very different from Mech Eng.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    They are quite different degrees.... which discipline do you want to do the most?
    The idea is that you you do BEng in Mechanical Engineering then for your Masters Degree you get to choose which theme of engineering you want to specialize in a particular theme in the 4th year, sort of like a joints degree.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/enginee...materials.page

So the idea is that Mechanical Engineering is not a new degree, its is well established, there have been decades of teaching, a good alumini network unlike Pure Biomedical Engineering which is less than 10 years old.

Also the Mechanical Engineering course in the UK at SOTON is ranked in the top 5.

There is no ranking list of Biomedical Engineering specifically, but UCL is ranked 7 in the world 2015 QS.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The idea is that you you do BEng in Mechanical Engineering then for your Masters Degree you get to choose which theme of engineering you want to specialize in a particular theme in the 4th year, sort of like a joints degree.

So the idea is that Mechanical Engineering is not a new degree, its is well established, there have been decades of teaching, a good alumini network unlike Pure Biomedical Engineering which is less than 10 years old.

Also the Mechanical Engineering course in the UK at SOTON is ranked in the top 5.

There is no ranking list of Biomedical Engineering specifically, but UCL is ranked 7 in the world 2015 QS.
    Yes, I'm aware of how engineering degrees work as I have one myself. The point I was getting at was that biomedical engineering is rather different from mechanical engineering and the career paths will also be different, and this is what you should be focusing on, not rankings, as no-one outside of TSR actually knows or cares about what is ranked where on X, Y or Z ranking.

ReputationRep:

I would be very wary of making a judgement on the basis of QS world rankings. The highest UCL is ranked in any of the national rankings is 10th. This is because the QS rankings tend to favour older universities in large cities. There are many universities that are doing very in the QS rankings that are not doing anywhere near as well in any of the national rankings. University league tables are useful as a guide but that is all they should be used for and the differences between any of the top 30 is actually very small.
    Your key decision should be which course you prefer. The other issue to guide you is where you will feel most comfortable. I assume living in London you will travel to UCL daily. An important issue is whether this is what you want or whether you would prefer the full university experience of moving away from home. How do you think you will cope with the far slower pace of life in Southampton than the hectic pace in London. These are issues only you can decide and you need to base your decision on these rather than a slight difference in league tables which as I described earlier can be misleading..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not sure about Biomedical Engineering specifically but I've heard bad things about the other engineering courses that UCL offers, apparently they're quite badly run.

But like the guys above have said, mech eng is quite a different discipline so you should make sure it's also something you'd like to do.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Heya

I've moved this to the Engineering forum for you - it's a more useful place to post for information about courses than university life.

Also check out some of the existing threads here, some may be of interest to you concerning some of your uni choices.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.