Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Nurofen Plus? Is that not just like ibuprofen?

OP Lorazepam works for me but only in extreme emergencies. It's not for regular usage

Posted from TSR Mobile
    200mg ibuprofen with 12.8mg of codiene phosphate per tablet to be precise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    That's also true. When that happens, switch to a different doctor and/or practice.

In my experience every female GP was passionately against it and preferred to hand out SSRIs like candy - any reasoning was near impossible. When I switched GPs, other than perhaps a couple incidents of reluctance or mild debate, every male GP I've encountered has been fine with my requests to try new alternatives. I remember switching back to a different female GP one time asking for Temazepam (turned out to be ineffective compared to others in the group) and the look of horror on her expression was... amusing. She had no choice unfortunately.

Ahh the student days where I had to actually bring in studies and notes to convince them to give me just one bloody chance on this course of treatment. Was well worth it - no one questions you after that. Once you've moved on and working, such encounters are not an issue anymore. The history is there, the trust is evident, it's obviously doing something right and I suppose it's easier when it's not a university medical centre anymore and you're a working adult.

Haven't seen a GP in years now, just the staff and a monthly repeat. Took a while to find out what works and what doesn't, but I'm glad it did. Wherever I go, whichever practice I switch to (in which case a one time appointment with a GP is required) in whichever part of England/Wales, I have no issues.
    I was too annoyed to deal with them. I honestly felt like a freaking beggar. I did not like it and don't get my bzs from them anymore. I don't think they'd prescribe me the amount I need anyway.

ReputationRep:
    200mg ibuprofen with 12.8mg of codiene phosphate per tablet to be precise.
    Isn't that bad for your liver though?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Isn't that bad for your liver though?
    Nope. Paracetamol would be (e.g. Solpadeine Max which is 500mg paracetamol and 12.8mg codeine phosphate per tablet).

Too much ibuprofen is bad for your stomach, but Omeprazole or other PPIs will protect you. Sometimes GPs will prescribe this if they are prescribing high doses of ibuprofen. There are OTC alternatives.

Too much paracetamol is bad on the liver. I can't comment on the method to get around this, probably against TSR rules and guidelines to do so anyway.

Also both ibuprofen and paracetamol can be taken safely together as they are absorbed by the body differently and complement each other with different effects.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I was too annoyed to deal with them. I honestly felt like a freaking beggar. I did not like it and don't get my bzs from them anymore. I don't think they'd prescribe me the amount I need anyway.
    That's unfortunate. Alternative methods will be put to a stop this coming April thanks to the new Psychoactive Substances Act 2016.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Depends on your GP I guess. Some GPs are impossible to deal with.
    Are GPs generally willing to prescribe them in the first place? I've tried a lot of things in regards to anxiety, I've been on SSRI's etc. and nothing much worked except Setraline (but the second time round gave me more anxiety).

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP.

ReputationRep:
    That's unfortunate. Alternative methods will be put to a stop this coming April thanks to the new Psychoactive Substances Act 2016.
    As an ex-solicitor, I should probably know this but I don't care about that anymore... Do you mind summarizing the impact of the new legislation for me very briefly please?

(Original post by Karaleigh19)
    Are GPs generally willing to prescribe them in the first place? I've tried a lot of things in regards to anxiety, I've been on SSRI's etc. and nothing much worked except Setraline (but the second time round gave me more anxiety).

Not really (you're referring to benzos right?). Unless they are dealing strictly with occasional panic attacks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

No, not in the first place - you normally have to exhaust other options first. Do you have any form of insomnia or trouble sleeping?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    As an ex-solicitor, I should probably know this but I don't care about that anymore... Do you mind summarizing the impact of the new legislation for me very briefly please?
    I won't be able to provide specific names sorry.

Basically: can't take, buy or sell legal drugs 'legal highs' that affect the mind, in any way shape or form. Including import/export. Any analogues are banned. For example, there's currently a popular thienobenzodiazepine that will be banned. Same with any upper/downer (stimulant/depressant) or nootropic or hallucinogenic substance - i.e. Psychoactive. This includes all past and future medications. It even includes Kratom (yes I can name that one, widely available and legal until April).

Relevant online businesses will shut down or will if they haven't already. All stocks are being sold out.

Of course, unless you have a license or prescription.

It's essentially a blanket ban on the entire industry that thrives on supply/demand for analogue substances e.g. Benzo substances that were legally available and obtainable. The government was unable to contain or control this market. Everytime they banned a new substance, more analogues would be developed and distributed - the previous Acts could not get around this, it's like trying to censor a torrent site on the Internet, you take one down and 10 more pop up. So this new bill just covers everything, it is very vague and ambiguous, and ultimately scary.

ReputationRep:
    I won't be able to provide specific names sorry.

Basically: can't take, buy or sell legal drugs 'legal highs' that affect the mind, in any way shape or form. Including import/export. Any analogues are banned. For example, there's currently a popular thienobenzodiazepine that will be banned. Same with any upper/downer (stimulant/depressant) or nootropic or hallucinogenic substance - i.e. Psychoactive. This includes all past and future medications. It even includes Kratom (yes I can name that one, widely available and legal until April).

Relevant online businesses will shut down or will if they haven't already. All stocks are being sold out.

Of course, unless you have a license or prescription.

It's essentially a blanket ban on the entire industry that thrives on supply/demand for analogue substances e.g. Benzo substances that were legally available and obtainable. The government was unable to contain or control this market. Everytime they banned a new substance, more analogues would be developed and distributed - the previous Acts could not get around this, it's like trying to censor a torrent site on the Internet, you take one down and 10 more pop up. So this new bill just covers everything, it is very vague and ambiguous, and ultimately scary.
    Ah, I see. Luckily, it won't affect me though. I thought it was something even worse. Although I'm sure this is going to be really bad for some people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Ah, I see. Luckily, it won't affect me though. I thought it was something even worse. Although I'm sure this is going to be really bad for some people.
    Excellent.

The Act of Parliament: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...acted/data.htm

Thread I made a while back: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3909331

Pretty much any research chemical forum will have plenty of discussion on this - if you need. Google.

Otherwise, lucky you.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent.

The Act of Parliament: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...acted/data.htm

Thread I made a while back: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3909331

Pretty much any research chemical forum will have plenty of discussion on this - if you need. Google.

Otherwise, lucky you.
    Street dealers will be so happy though. I'm sure that more people will need them now.

ReputationRep:
    No, not in the first place - you normally have to exhaust other options first. Do you have any form of insomnia or trouble sleeping?
    I've got pretty severe insomnia, also had anxiety for 4 plus years and only tried medication in the last year. I've tried 4 different anti-depressants and I'm currently doing CBT but that isn't working in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    I've got pretty severe insomnia, also had anxiety for 4 plus years and only tried medication in the last year. I've tried 4 different anti-depressants and I'm currently doing CBT but that isn't working in the slightest.
    If they give you any trouble, just use a private doctor. Most will be happy to help you out.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tell your GP about your severe insomnia, stress this point the most and how it's disrupting your life and increasing your anxiety. Switch GPs and keep trying (a male GP), make it very clear and adamant that you need to sleep and really need something that can help you sleep that same night that you see the GP - that everything else you've tried simply isn't working and making it worse and you refuse to go down the SSRI route anymore, and would like to give something else a chance.

Eventually you'll be offered something. Don't abuse it, don't act desperate for more, just tell them it's working (if it is) wonderfully and for the first time in a long time you're finally feeling relief from this treatment and would like to continue - that you understand the risks and have no issues being monitored e.g. regular appointments.

Once tranquilisers are in your prescription history and there are no signs of abuse/misuse, it will get easier.

Only if this applies to you.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your GP about your severe insomnia, stress this point the most and how it's disrupting your life and increasing your anxiety. Switch GPs and keep trying, make it very clear and adamant that you need to sleep and really need something that can help you sleep that same night that you see the GP - that everything else you've tried simply isn't working and making it worse and you refuse to go down the SSRI route anymore, and would like to give something else a chance.

Eventually you'll be offered something. Don't abuse it, don't act desperate for more, just tell them it's working (if it is) wonderfully and for the first time in a long time you're finally feeling relief from this treatment and would like to continue - that you understand the risks and have no issues being monitored e.g. regular appointments.

Once tranquilisers are in your prescription history and there are no signs of abuse/misuse, it will get easier.
    Is using benzos a few times a week 'abuse' in their opinion? (from your experiences with NHS GPs)

ReputationRep:
    I had TERRIBLE insomnia (by terrible I literally wouldn't sleep for weeks at a time) which triggered anxiety (a horrible cycle of I was anxious because I couldn't sleep and I couldn't sleep because I was anxious) and it amplified my social anxiety. I was on propranolol which I believe was a kind of beta blocker that really did help me and lessen the horrible heart palpitations I was having as a result of panic attacks. Obviously that wasn't a permanent solution, but a combination of my parents getting me away from my house/school for a bit as well as having councilling meant that I was off them quite quickly and I haven't had insomnia for over a year ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Is using benzos a few times a week 'abuse' in their opinion? (from your experiences with NHS GPs)
    No. You can take them everyday as needed as long as you don't deplete your entire amount and ask for more until the next month.

In some cases, the instructions may be to take as needed per certain number of days, but the crucial point is not to ask for more until it's been at least a month since the prescription - unless you were only given a very small amount for perhaps the week or something as a test to see if it helps you - in which case, you make an appointment and repeat the process. The idea is to build a level of trust.

By all means try going private if you can afford it.

You don't need to tell them how often you're taking it, as long as you don't ask for more until the next appointment is due (or if it's a repeat, then after 4 weeks or 1 month or whatever).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, to anybody who has an anxiety disorder: what medications did you find did or didn't help you? Also, which one would you say has the least of the paradoxcial psychological side-effects (i.e. increasing anxiety etc.)? I'm seeing my GP today and want to know what I am or am not willing to take,

thanks!
    The medication i recommend to you is.....happiness! If you can't get any make some(not drugs) or share your pain so that people can sympathize and help you. I know it's not that simple but it doesn't have to be complicated. Find what makes you happy (preferably something that doesn't depend on someone) and be obsessed over it.

Hope everything turns out well for u man.

ReputationRep:
    No. You can take them everyday as needed as long as you don't deplete your entire amount and ask for more until the next month.

In some cases, the instructions may be to take as needed per certain number of days, but the crucial point is not to ask for more until it's been at least a month since the prescription - unless you were only given a very small amount for perhaps the week or something as a test to see if it helps you - in which case, you make an appointment and repeat the process. The idea is to build a level of trust.

By all means try going private if you can afford it.
    I see. Well, my GP wasn't like that, unfortunately. Maybe it's because I was under 18.. Anyway, now I just hate them for that and my pride won't let me beg them for benzos ever again so I found a steady supply elsewhere.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.