Turn on thread page Beta

Anxiety medication??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I see. Well, my GP wasn't like that, unfortunately. Maybe it's because I was under 18.. Anyway, now I just hate them for that and my pride won't let me beg them for benzos ever again so I found a steady supply elsewhere.
    Under 18 would be near impossible unless you're literally in pain and haven't slept for days. Even then, it would be difficult actually.

I guess it's also knowing how to talk and compose in a certain way and how to respond appropriately - I think people let their emotions (understandably) get the better of themselves which raises red flags. I suppose it can be difficult to be patient when the situation is so desperate. I hate it, but that's the way it is these days.

If it's in your medical history (long term steady use) and you transferred to a NHS practice, a quick appointment with the doc on setting up your prescription as per your previous history is relatively short and straightforward - usually very few questions and a repeat prescription of what you're already on previously - unlikely to see the GP again.

You don't need to tell them how often you're taking it, as long as you don't ask for more until the next appointment is due (or if it's a repeat, then after 4 weeks or 1 month or whatever for a refill).

But if your current method is working out fine for you, then no worries - carry on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Under 18 would be near impossible unless you're literally in pain and haven't slept for days. Even then, it would be difficult actually.

I guess it's also knowing how to talk and compose in a certain way and how to respond appropriately - I think people let their emotions (understandably) get the better of themselves which raises red flags. I suppose it can be difficult to be patient when the situation is so desperate. I hate it, but that's the way it is these days.

If it's in your medical history (long term steady use) and you transferred to a NHS practice, a quick appointment with the doc on setting up your prescription as per your previous history is relatively short and straightforward - usually very few questions and a repeat prescription of what you're already on previously - unlikely to see the GP again.

You don't need to tell them how often you're taking it, as long as you don't ask for more until the next appointment is due (or if it's a repeat, then after 4 weeks or 1 month or whatever for a refill).

But if your current method is working out fine for you, then no worries - carry on.
    Will keep that in mind, thanks, might have to try that one day, if I ever run into financial difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    A big problem for me with benzos is my tolerance. It builds up so fast so I end up going through them quicker which leaves the GP less likely to prescribe them me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I took Escitalopram for over 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    A big problem for me with benzos is my tolerance. It builds up so fast so I end up going through them quicker which leaves the GP less likely to prescribe them me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's partly why I said not to ask for more until the next apppointment, or if it's a repeat then every 4 weeks or 1 month at least. You don't need to tell them how often you're taking it. If you genuinely feel it's not enough then it's best to talk to them about it and get the prescription changed.

To be honest, it depends on how you communicate with the GP and also what issues you're facing and how to word them. Trouble sleeping? Stress that point on insomnia. Muscles in back, neck and shoulders hurting? Stress the pain. Anxiety? Panic about it. Focus on how each issue impacts your daily life and communicate it.

You can take steps to lower your tolerance with long-acting benzodiazepines spaced a few times a week and shorter doses over time until you learn self control. Opiate/opioid based painkillers potentiate and help as well. Heck even those night time teas help too. Self-control, patience and communication is key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    I took Escitalopram for over 2 years
    If it's related to citalopram, that would turn me into a zombie. Besides, screw waiting 6+ weeks and the side-effects.

Fluoxetine was slightly better, but still the side-effects and barely any benefit.

Best was Mirtazapine, unfortunately the constant craving for sugary snacks and weight gain was getting annoying after a while. Perfect to take as needed for sleeping though, until it wears off.

ReputationRep:
    If it's related to citalopram, that would turn me into a zombie. Besides, screw waiting 6+ weeks and the side-effects.

Fluoxetine was slightly better, but still the side-effects and barely any benefit.

Best was Mirtazapine, unfortunately the constant craving for sugary snacks and weight gain was getting annoying after a while. Perfect to take as needed for sleeping though, until it wears off.
    It is the same.
    It is true it made me feel very lethargic.

ReputationRep:
    if u want to sleep for a year take quetiapine :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    It's important to remember that pharmacological agents are not a cure for anxiety - they are only there to get you up to a functional level so that you can access psychotherapies in order to deal with the underlying problem.

No GP is going to refuse you treatment that they think would help you. For example, benzodiazepines are wonderful anxiolytics when used short term (e.g. to get through an exam period, or your driving test etc.), but they are really awful chemicals with a formidable profile of adverse effects. Taking them long term can mean that you end up becoming tolerant to them (meaning that you start needing them more frequently and at higher doses), you can become dependent on them (often without even realising it) and you can get really terrible withdrawal symptoms from them. In cases where people are dependent on benzos, withdrawal can actually be life-threatening. There is always a reason behind a doctor's refusal to prescribe a tablet - they're not trying to be obstructive and stubborn (although it can certainly come across that way!), they're out there to help you.

It can be difficult to find a treatment that works for you, and it might take a few tries to get it right and that's just because everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to the same medications. The key point is that drugs will not cure your anxiety for good, they might tone it down or send it on holiday for a bit, but ultimately the cure comes from the psychological treatments like counselling, CBT, talking therapies etc.

ReputationRep:
    True. But once you've proved you can be trusted not to abuse them and have exhausted other options, it's a lot easier to get them prescribed on a long-term basis with repeat prescriptions - even if you move to another place - they just check your history and you're good to go.
    I've known people who become dependent even when not abusing, and taking the amount their doctor has told them to take, that is why long term use is heavily discouraged. You will get the odd GP who will prescribe them long term, but generally, they will be reluctant. Just wondering, did you try therapy before settling on this current regime?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    I've known people who become dependent even when not abusing, and taking the amount their doctor has told them to take, that is why long term use is heavily discouraged. You will get the odd GP who will prescribe them long term, but generally, they will be reluctant. Just wondering, did you try therapy before settling on this current regime?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think some people are really exaggerating the 'side effects' of benzo use. I don't mean you but there are lots of discussion boards where people attribute every single issue they have to freaking benzos, even after being off them for years! It's just crazy.

ReputationRep:
    This is a really good patient information leaflet on benzodiazepine use by the Royal College of Psychiatrists:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvic...iazepines.aspx

Definitely worth a read!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I think some people are really exaggerating the 'side effects' of benzo use. I don't mean you but there are lots of discussion boards where people attribute every single issue they have to freaking benzos, even after being off them for years! It's just crazy.
    There are definitely side effects to their use and I think generally people do underestimate them. I think my point is less they have side effects and more that they are not a sustainable solution for anxiety (except specific types)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Citalopram helped me enornmously! I went from not being able to leave my house to the point where I am now where things like group presentations and talking to the public just don't faze me Though with anxiety; I take the viewpoint that you have to constantly put yourself in anxious situations for it to fully get better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    There are definitely side effects to their use and I think generally people do underestimate them. I think my point is less they have side effects and more that they are not a sustainable solution for anxiety (except specific types)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been taking them for many years and I'm fine. Of course, some people will get side effects, I agree, but people who attribute every single issue to benzos are just unreasonable. What's the right solution then, in your opinion? Therapy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I've been taking them for many years and I'm fine. Of course, some people will get side effects, I agree, but people who attribute every single issue to benzos are just unreasonable. What's the right solution then, in your opinion? Therapy?
    Yeah, people can definitely take them for years no problem, it depends on the use. I've used benzos on and off for around 5 years for a variety of issues and I've never come across any major issues, even after being on clonazepam 4 times a day for a sustained period of time.

Personally, my opinion is that for anxiety disorders, the best option is therapy, and for some, maybe an anti depressant on top. I've seen people who get prescribed benzos or just anti depressants but never get therapy and they find it very hard to improve in the long term, we can't take benzos forever. From what I've gathered both from my own experiences with mental health professionals and my professional experience and education, most psychiatrists will be very wary of prescribing benzos long term to someone with an anxiety disorder.

They do use benzos more frequently in other illnesses, but there is even some research in using other meds to replace benzos and they have the same kind of effects, for example, a low dose of quetiapine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.