Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Just wondering how it would be best to go about getting work experience in a teaching environment (preferably secondary-level) as, up to now, I have absolutely no experience in this area! Should I contact schools directly or is there a central directory board? How long could I expect to be offered? If I would like to go in September, would I be best to contact them before the end of this academic year?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    When i arranged mine it was a mix of comtacting schools directly and organised it through the dfe. They have a system where you can book days based on your area and subject.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for your PGCE for next academic year? (16/17).

You can apply for the 'School Experience Programme' on the Get Into Teaching website. (mentioned above)
    You can email/contact schools - try to contact the specific department you want - your old school would be best as you know them.
    You can apply for jobs - Teaching Assistants, Mentors, Cover Supervisors (best option as you get paid for experience.)
    You can volunteer for the NSPCC (or other charities that work with children). They have a role where you go into schools and educate students on child abuse and they would provide DBS for this.

Bare in mind that exam season is looming and schools are pretty tense at the minute with revision, last-minute cramming etc. You will be ignored by 90% of schools you contact.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.