Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I was just wondering what people's opinions are on these two universities?
    I have been given an offer by both universities
    Durham: AAA
    Birmingham:ABB
    I would really like to do a clinical doctorate so I wish to go to a university that will best cater me for this. I have visited both universities and I love Birmingham however the reputation of Durham is drawing me
    I live an hour away from Birmingham and 3 1/2 hours away from Durham
    Accommodation wise I love the variety at Birmingham and at Durham I have been assigned to grey college even though I would prefer to be catered
    The thing that draws me to Birmingham is the new facilities they are building even though I know Durham is suppose to be the overall better university. Any opinions would be appreciated
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Either is fine for a future in clinical psychology (but that is a long road and it's much too early to be thinking about that now). I think you should look at course content for each and choose the university which does the modules you're most interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylouise5)
    Hello I was just wondering what people's opinions are on these two universities?
    I have been given an offer by both universities
    Durham: AAA
    Birmingham:ABB
    I would really like to do a clinical doctorate so I wish to go to a university that will best cater me for this. I have visited both universities and I love Birmingham however the reputation of Durham is drawing me
    I live an hour away from Birmingham and 3 1/2 hours away from Durham
    Accommodation wise I love the variety at Birmingham and at Durham I have been assigned to grey college even though I would prefer to be catered
    The thing that draws me to Birmingham is the new facilities they are building even though I know Durham is suppose to be the overall better university. Any opinions would be appreciated
    You wont care about the rep if you're not having a good time. Do you want to live directly next to a major city or in a smallish town?

Which course do you prefer?

It would be the dumbest thing ever to pick durham just because of its rep, especially as birmingham is a great university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Either is fine for a future in clinical psychology (but that is a long road and it's much too early to be thinking about that now). I think you should look at course content for each and choose the university which does the modules you're most interested in.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    You wont care about the rep if you're not having a good time. Do you want to live directly next to a major city or in a smallish town?

Which course do you prefer?

It would be the dumbest thing ever to pick durham just because of its rep, especially as birmingham is a great university
    Thankyou for the advice overall i think I do prefer Birmingham as the psychology department seemed better regarding teaching and facilities (the department is also being rebuilt with lots of new facilities) whilst Durham seemed quite dated to me. I was just worried that I had missed something when I visited Durham,as I know you shouldn't go by reputation, but when I went it didn't seem like a 'top university' 😂 Probably too traditional for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylouise5)
    Thankyou for the advice overall i think I do prefer Birmingham as the psychology department seemed better regarding teaching and facilities (the department is also being rebuilt with lots of new facilities) whilst Durham seemed quite dated to me. I was just worried that I had missed something when I visited Durham,as I know you shouldn't go by reputation, but when I went it didn't seem like a 'top university' 😂 Probably too traditional for me
    Sounds like you should go for birmingham then! Good luck at whichever one you end up going to!

ReputationRep:
    omg I'm going through the exact same problem right now!!!!! its so hard to decide I understand completely; it got to the point where I don't even know what my gut says! the thing is the reputation of both universities are good, admittedly Durham is better but Birmingham offers a year abroad - Durham have 3 destinations and I don't like any of them.

what I'm planning to do is go to both uni's on the same day (Sunday) - I'm cutting it fine but I'd rather be 100% sure with my choice.
    maybe try this?????

if you have already made up your mind, what did you decide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebecca_edwards)
    omg I'm going through the exact same problem right now!!!!! its so hard to decide I understand completely; it got to the point where I don't even know what my gut says! the thing is the reputation of both universities are good, admittedly Durham is better but Birmingham offers a year abroad - Durham have 3 destinations and I don't like any of them.

what I'm planning to do is go to both uni's on the same day (Sunday) - I'm cutting it fine but I'd rather be 100% sure with my choice.
    maybe try this?????

if you have already made up your mind, what did you decide?
    Yeah taking your time with your decision is definitely the best way and I actually firmed bath in the end as I got an offer from them after I posted this thread (I never thought in a million years I would get an offer from them!!😂) and I have placed Birmingham as my insurance.
    But I would have chosen Birmingham over Durham in the end as the research facilities looked a lot better at Birmingham in my opinion as Durham was looking abit dated to me and also I wasn't too keen on college system when I visited. I hope this helps just remember to think about where you'll be happiest at

ReputationRep:
    I've got a similar situation...Durham or UCL for Psychology. This is the toughest choice to make so far, and I can't do it! I fully understand your struggle here!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.